Solar Son's 4x4 600 Watt MH/HPS Soiless: Jamaican Dream, Seed To Bud

SolarSon

Hello Everyone!

New member here, not so new to growing. Although it has been about 6 or so years and I had a mentor before, it's time to grow on my own.

This project is to get me back in the swing of things, growing my 4 plant rec. Limit until Health Canada paperwork comes through for my medical grow (plant number will dramatically increase)

Environmental:
4x4x7' grow tent
600w digital ballast
MH for Veg (6000k)
HPS for flower (2100k)
Standard wing reflector (Northern Climate, cool should not be an issue)

Grow Medium:
ProMix HP Mycorrhizae

Nutrients:
Advanced Nutrients;
Veg:
Perfect PH Sensi Grow a+b
B-52
Voodoo Juice

Flower:
Perfect PH Sensi Bloom a+b
B-52
Voodoo Juice
Big Bud
Overdrive

Strain: Jamaican Dream (strain details courtesy Eva Seeds site)
Breeder: Eva Seeds
SATIVA: 90% INDICA: 10%
THC: High (17-21%) CBD: Low
YIELD: High
FLOWERING IN INDOOR CROPS: 42-45 days
GENETICS:
Jamaica
SHAPE: Pyramidal and elongated, with a long central bud, continuous, very compact and thick.
EFFECT: Sativa-like and very energetic. Day use.
SMELL: sweet and discrete
FLAVOUR: Mildly sweet.
NUTRITIONAL NEEDS: It works well with medium levels of fertilisers, yet it also admits higher levels of nutrients.
INDOOR GROWING:
  • INDOOR LIGHT: Energy-saving and Sodium
  • RECOMMENDED HEIGHT WHEN TIME CYCLE CHANGE: 50-70 cm
  • END OF FLOWERING HEIGHT: 80- 90 cm
  • WEIGHT/YIELD (9 per meter): 360-630 g/m2 (Depending on medium and container size

Pictures of my starting seed stock and base tent (the light will be moved lower, just checking for light leaks)

I plan on starting germination tomorrow. Unless anyone suggests otherwise I plan on letting the beams sit in tap water (I hear the chlorine helps to keep bacteria and what not away?) Checking within 3-4 hours to make sure they all sink. Once tap roots appear, I plan on putting them into Solo cups with the ProMix. About 1" lower then where I plan the seed to be I am contemplating adding root hormone then covering with a bit of soil then the bean, cover with more soil.
Any alternative suggestions?

I plan on moving from the solo Cup to either a 3 gallon or straight into the 7 gallon fabric pots I picked up (plan to flower in 7 gallon). I do plan on topping and some LST to create a nice even canopy to fill my 4x4. Also will lollipop to get rid of wasteful leaves and poor Bud sites.

Should I go straight from solo Cup to 7 gallon? Worried about nutrients waste with such a small plant in a 7 gallon. Is the stress to the plant worth going to a 3 gallon prior to the 7 or just straight to the 7?

I am excited to get this project going, and glad to have started this journal, my wife is getting annoyed with all my "shop" talk LOL

Open to any and all suggestions. I do plan on adding a can filter prior to flower, ventilation is enroute and not installed yet.

Looks like you'll be off to a good start. :Namaste:
Thank you, makes me feel more confident with my choices LOL

Originally I was going to do an airoponics system but thought keep it to the basics for the inaugural grow :)

Hi and a double welcome to forum and journal section:welcome:.
Excellent set up and grow journal:adore:
There are many ways to grow and you choose what you feel best starting with .
As we say here, you grow as you grow.
At the moment I am not growing, due to being soon out of here(country).
We are all here to chip in and remember "there are never any stupid questions.... Only stupid answers"

Thank you for the warm welcome and kind words angry Bird :)

There was a slight delay in popping my beans. Where I live is a more rural area and when I went to get my ProMix the store was out of stock and or to lazy to get it from the back lol

Sourced it close by and am picking it up over the weekend.

I can say a few things, autos prefer to not be replanted.
Now, I am not familiar with your lights, but don't blast too close.
Food, I go with when you see the third node.
Edit don't follow the manufacturers suggestions on lights and food.
Food, nutrients that is, always start 1/4 of what they say

Hello Everyone who has popped in to say hi and is following along!!!!!

Things have been off to a fun and interesting start. From my 1st choice soil not being available (the ProMix, mind you that was only after I couldn't find FoxFarms Ocean Forest).

Turns out that the ProMix being out of stock may have been a blessing as a store in town is now carrying FoxFarm ;)
With that being said, I will be using Ocean Forest instead of ProMix.

My 7 gal grow pots came in(I will post some pics tomorrow with the new update) I have never used fabric pots but am excited to try them out and love the idea of them being able to airprune and not grow circular.

Also, Advanced Nutrients in town is hit and miss. I have found a steady supply of Emerald Harvest and will be using that line along with Voodoo Juice (instead of the Root Wizard from Emerald).

Lastly, but I think the most important, beans have been submerged!!! They are 3 hours in on thier aqua soak. I went with tap water. I liked the idea of the minimal amount of chlorine actually helping provide a cleaner environment for the start of the grow.

Posting a closer look at the seeds. From my reading, I am a touch worried as these beans seem lighter in colour but there is some nice dark green veins? Showing. Not sure if veins is the correct terminology lol

Not posting a pic of them in water, as they are just floating there currently :p

No worries, you'll see which sprouts and if any, which don't.
I sent you a link to another grower. He is on HP Lights. (see the bell in the menu bar) Some really good info there.

I grew Jamaican Dream 4 years ago and I loved it - a real frost monster, easy to grow, nice social buzz without much heaviness. I liked it enough to run 6 consecutive clones? :hmmmm:, over a year or more.

:thumb:

@Graytail thanks for popping by!

Glad to hear she's a great strain! I researched many strains and after many many rounds of narrowing it down I went with the Jamaican Dream.

Have any tips regarding what temps and humidity levels the girls will enjoy? Or what PPM or E.C you ran? She a heavy feeder/drinker?

Much thanks in advance!

I ran it year round, and there weren't any conditions popping up from the variations, so that shouldn't be a problem, and it fed like a typical hybrid, moderate to heavy.

Keep in mind that it was from a seed 5 years ago. I haven't kept up on the more recent batches. Your results may vary. :)

:Namaste:

I ran it year round, and there weren't any conditions popping up from the variations, so that shouldn't be a problem, and it fed like a typical hybrid, moderate to heavy.

Thank you for your information :)

I have to say on a side note, this forum is amazing and I am so glad that I have joined and am now posting not just lurking.

I woke up around 5:30 am, and checked the seeds(I feel like a giddy child on Christmas's morning lol). All 5 seeds are now sunk to the bottom of the glass after soaking for about 8.5 hours. I am torn on if I will let the tap roots grow out in water for another 24-36ish hours then straight to the solo Cup OR if I will move to paper towel. I am thinking the less movement the better? And leaving them to soak and then straight to the ocean forest, any input?

I have my light running ATM on 50% power while I test the timer and finish fixing a few light leaks (this tent is over 6 years old but in great shape for her age) I am also noting the ambient temperature in the tent during this time so I can attempt to stabilize promptly.

I'll post another update later tonight and see if we have any popping or tap roots at the 24 hour mark!

Looking forward to everyone joining along on this exciting journey!

I sent you a link to another grower. He is on HP Lights. (see the bell in the menu bar) Some really good info there

Thank you again for the help! I am reading journal after journal :nomo::drool: it is addicting, all the beautiful pictures and solid knowledge to be learnt and applied!

Back
Top Bottom