Solis Tek 1000watt ballast noise question

duckslide

Greetings
I recently purchased a solis tek 1000 watt ballast. Shortly after I plug it in, and it strikes the lamp, it starts to emit an alternating high to low pitch. It is not very loud but certainly audible. I have tested it in different locations and circuits that can handle the load, and even at another house and it still makes the same noise.

The shop where I purchased it from said this was normal, even though I have read that electronic ballasts are supposed to be completely silent.

My question is to anyone else who is using the same ballast. Do you also experience these noises , and are they normal ?

Good to know that someone else has experienced it as well, but it doesn't settle well in my mind. Still making the noise. Big investment you know.

So, after discovering that my Solis-Tek ballast had been broadcasting RF on Am radio in a 200 meter radius, not to mention also getting the same noise and feedback through other electronics with a power supply in the household, I returned the ballast.

I exchanged it for a Quantum 1000w dimmable. The Quantum has a fan, as where the Solis-Tek did not. The Quantum also is not able to switch wattage settings like the Solis-Tek can. It can only reduce lumen output. So I can not use 600 watt, or 400 watt metal halide for veg. The Solis-Tek was better packed and seamed like it was built more durable, but it was not wrapped in anti static plastic.

I am no longer experiencing any noise through Am or other electronics using the Quantum.

Back
Top Bottom