Solution for too much perlite?

Hayron1088

Im seeing similar posts but not what I need I guess. I added 25-35% more perlite to my Fox Farms Ocean Forest to help with drainage as I struggled with it before. I’m noticing that i may have put to much in and have no solution to fix it. Using 5 gallon fabric pots, I watered yesterday and almost got instant runoff which really sucks as I’m using Dr. Earth dry amendments and as everyone knows I’m basically flushing it right down the drain. I’m obviously not using the nutes yet as FFOF has plenty for quite awhile. I’m really nervous now because I’m growing my favorite strains and really want it to work out. Blueberry and Zkittlez!!!!

Question here is how old are your plants and what size are they? Transplanting is never really recommended but if there still repotable to a larger pot that's your best option I'm my option. I've never had an issue with water retention while using ocean forest and I use standard pots. One would think that fabric pots would have given you even quicker water drainage. Maybe someone else has an idea, I would like to hear it.

Until your roots come in to compact that soil a bit, just water more slowly. It takes a few minutes for the organics in FFOF to absorb some of the water and expand out, blocking the channels that open up in dry soil leading right to the bottom. I like to water with just a small amount on the surface of the plants and then walk away for 5 minutes or so to allow that to start soaking in. Then on round #2 I make sure to get a little water along each edge, because that is where the soil will pull away and also leave a channel leading right to the bottom. After these first two rounds of light water, you will find the soil has expanded and now can absorb a whole lot more water. Just go slowly, and it will surprise you how much water you can get in there.

Until your roots come in to compact that soil a bit, just water more slowly. It takes a few minutes for the organics in FFOF to absorb some of the water and expand out, blocking the channels that open up in dry soil leading right to the bottom. I like to water with just a small amount on the surface of the plants and then walk away for 5 minutes or so to allow that to start soaking in. Then on round #2 I make sure to get a little water along each edge, because that is where the soil will pull away and also leave a channel leading right to the bottom. After these first two rounds of light water, you will find the soil has expanded and now can absorb a whole lot more water. Just go slowly, and it will surprise you how much water you can get in there.
I love this info!! I can always count on you for the best and most informative replies to the questions I have. You are the Water God/Goddess that’s for sure! Thank you for taking your time to answer my question, very much appreciated!

Add some compost and don't water to runoff.
You know I should have known this info being as I too dressed with worm castings last time and had no drainage issues haha. I have my own vermicompost bin with the base medium being coco. Unfortunately I may have to buy some worm castings as my bin is not ready yet... thank you for this valuable information! I will top dress in about a week as my plants are only seedlings.

Short and to the point, I like you already! I’m brand new to “organic” gardening. But I’m learning fast. My understanding is there are multiple levels for lack of a better word. FFOF and Dr Earth. Great results.
Yep, there's kind of organic out of a bottle, and there's actual organic where you're in a large pot with compost rich soil, cover crops, soil alive with microbes and most all the nutrients come from the soil food web.

I’m still in stealth mode due to space and as a result I’m limited to pot size. 5gal. Still very satisfied with end product.

Have you tried watering with a pressurized pump sprayer and adjust the spray to more of a fog type spray so it takes longer to water? I find that method works better than the dump or pour method. Another benefit is using the entire mechanism when screwed together to mix your nutes by flipping it up and down about 5 or 6 times. Let it settle for 5 minutes then check the pH on it. Adjust as needed.

Have you tried watering with a pressurized pump sprayer and adjust the spray to more of a fog type spray so it takes longer to water? I find that method works better than the dump or pour method. Another benefit is using the entire mechanism when screwed together to mix your nutes by flipping it up and down about 5 or 6 times. Let it settle for 5 minutes then check the pH on it. Adjust as needed.
I’m not sure I follow on the flipping it up and down. Are you saying I should nix my nutes in the sprayer?

I’m not sure I follow on the flipping it up and down. Are you saying I should nix my nutes in the sprayer?
Yes. Most sprayers have volume measurements on the sides. So if you need 3 gallons of water fill your tank up to 3 gallons. Add your nutes to the tank and adjust them according to what the manufacturer suggests for volume. Screw the lid on and flip the entire container end over end 5 or 6 times to completely mix everything.

Back
Top Bottom