Some advice needed please

gazmufc

Hey folks

Have 4 photo plants going at the moment,
2 x gorilla zittles
at week 7
1 x GSC at week 3
1 x wedding cake at week 3

(didn't plan it this way, messed up like 8 attempts at autos, SIGHHH 🤦‍♂️)

Have few questions regarding the plants at week 7. Heres a wee run down on my environment and growing media.

Light : Mars hydro fce 6500 at 30%

Humidifier set to 55%, which peeks at 70 when it's activated. I've played about with this setting and it's impossible for me to get anything less than 10-15 humidity swings)

Soil : running pre made organic living from a UK based company called "nature living soil"
soil being top dressed with organic amendments every 2 weeks as stated by manufacturer.

Pots are 10g fabric pots for the, and the 2 younger plants are in 3g air pots for now.

All being going OK, but recently been noticing a few little flys kicking about. Their tiny, dark with wings. Aphids I think, have been trying to deter them by placing onions and peppermint around the surface.

the gorilla zittles are starting to show signs and I'm not sure how to interpret them. One is the nice shade of green and the other is a little bit dark looking with some slightly twisted leafs.

The lighter colourd one has got slightly yellow tops on the leafs now, and I'm not sure if that's to much food, or not enough, just curious what yous think? I topped dressed over a week ago now and she due this week, just don't wanna do it until I get some advice.

The darker coloured one had whitening at the very tips of some of the leafs but not every leaf. The leafs are slight downward clawing to them.
Both pots are not dry stick my finger down the soil just feels like a nice moisture to it, the soil feels loose not sticky but with moisture. Idk, I just wanna get ahead of any potential issue. Thanks in advance for any help guys, really appreciate it... đź‘Ť

IMG_20221015_133738.jpg

IMG_20221015_133728.jpg

IMG_20221014_201501.jpg

IMG_20221014_201453.jpg

IMG_20221014_201445.jpg

IMG_20221014_201431.jpg

I just took PPFD reading using phototone

The 2 smaller ones are getting 220
And the to bigger one are getting 380, maybe now I should be increasing this?

Hi Mate - soon as I notice one or two gnats I put down yellow stickies and keep a sprayer of H2O2 solution
If I see one, zap it with the mister and they're goners, and also spray the surface of the soil
This kills any microscopic fungi they feed on and can also kill any eggs

As for your nutes/plants, they look fine, a little yellow tip is no problem as she grows
The twisting and dark green leaves could well indicate a bit too much N so maybe tone down the quantity/frequency of the top dressing?

Hi Mate - soon as I notice one or two gnats I put down yellow stickies and keep a sprayer of H2O2 solution
If I see one, zap it with the mister and they're goners, and also spray the surface of the soil
This kills any microscopic fungi they feed on and can also kill any eggs

As for your nutes/plants, they look fine, a little yellow tip is no problem as she grows
The twisting and dark green leaves could well indicate a bit too much N so maybe tone down the quantity/frequency of the top dressing?
Hey Roy, appreciate the quick response, uve put me at ease a bit now thanks. You wudnt believe how much stress 've went through getting this 2nd run up and running. Growing really shouldn't be stressful lol

I thought about trying coco and bottle nuts this run, but decided to give organics another shot. I have my own allotment, and only grow organically on it. Hard root vegetables are defo more forgiving than cannabis hah

So il skip the top dressing schedule this week then and see how they are looking next week.. đź‘Ť
I found this product here that is in my country, wud this be OK to use?

Hey Roy, appreciate the quick response, uve put me at ease a bit now thanks. You wudnt believe how much stress 've went through getting this 2nd run up and running. Growing really shouldn't be stressful lol

I thought about trying coco and bottle nuts this run, but decided to give organics another shot. I have my own allotment, and only grow organically on it. Hard root vegetables are defo more forgiving than cannabis hah

So il skip the top dressing schedule this week then and see how they are looking next week.. đź‘Ť

Yes, I use 12% [Nortembio] but dilute it down to roughly 1.2% with distilled water
Don't overdo it on the soil as you are growing organically, you only need to mist the surface

I know aphids to be a light green color. Any chance you can get a macro shot of one of the little buggers? Some of the bugs in an organic grow are fine as they help break down organic material, but not all are beneficial.

Organic nutes are not really directly used by the plant. Instead, microbes digest them which changes them into a format that they can be used by the plant, but this process takes a couple of weeks to accomplish which is why the instructions say what they do. So, given the lag time, anything you topdress with today won't show much of any effect for a couple of weeks.

That's also why new microbes are periodically added with organic soils to keep that part of the ecosystem functioning well.

Your plants look pretty healthy to me. :thumb:

I know aphids to be a light green color. Any chance you can get a macro shot of one of the little buggers? Some of the bugs in an organic grow are fine as they help break down organic material, but not all are beneficial.

Organic nutes are not really directly used by the plant. Instead, microbes digest them which changes them into a format that they can be used by the plant, but this process takes a couple of weeks to accomplish which is why the instructions say what they do. So, given the lag time, anything you topdress with today won't show much of any effect for a couple of weeks.

That's also why new microbes are periodically added with organic soils to keep that part of the ecosystem functioning well.

Your plants look pretty healthy to me. :thumb:
Hey mate thanks for commenting. Seems they really don't like the sent of onion and peppermint, cunt find any in my tent, even after gently shaking the pots, (which until now wud always get them moving)

Found this little sucker outside my tent. What do u think is this a thrip or aphid?

Screenshot_20221015_165137_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

IMG_20221015_164939.jpg

A found one of the other little black flies. Outside my tent tho. Looks like the really don't like the peppermint. Hard to get clear shot

IMG_20221015_185926.jpg

Hi Gazmufc,
Your plant looks a bit overwatered to me and its starting to show in the leaves. The twisted growth thats just starting and the early stages of chlorosis, which is the light green striping coming into the leaves are both signs of oxygen deprivation and the flies are likely fungus gnats which again are a classic sign of your soil being too wet. Cannabis needs a ton of oxygen. Every speck of food that the microbes prepare for your plant, and weed eats alot, MUST have an oxygen molecule attached for the plant to recognize it as a healthy choice (aerobic), so when you add water the water goes into the soil and moves down. It causes suction behind itself as it runs down thru the microscopic spaces and the suction behind the falling water pulls air down thru the soil. If you keep the soil too wet the standing water fills those microscopic holes blocking air, the plant starts to choke. Then there is the topdressing. Let your pots dry out quite dry. So the pots are quite light when lifted. Dont let the plant wilt but let it dry more than you are comfy with. When the top 2 inches are quite dry a crust will likely form. That is your topdressing having the epic battle between cal and mag until the cal wins and neutralizes mags grip,which takes time in organics so.... break that crust up. Very gently crumble it into quite fine dirt. Get right out to the edges of the pot all the way to the stalk. Now your surface is open for the oxygen to freely flow in behind the next watering. Every time you water to runnoff, then let the pot dry until its light you take a breath in, the next watering pushes carbon dioxide out, and its heavy so it only goes up into the air a bit, where the leaves eat it up, and behind that CO2 pushing water, new 02 sucks in again. By watering properly you are making your soil breath, and the plant loves rhythm. As your plant gets healthier it will naturally speed up the process by drinking quicker so you will water more often allowing more C02 out and more O2 in( its running now so its breathing faster) to be able to attach more O2 molecules to more food to eat more to push out more CO2 to pull in more O2 to eat more. The circle of life. Then watch the new growth and see if it looks better. I would find a way to dial in your humidity better. Lower humidity lets the plant move the water quicker to speed up the breathing. Go deep into your controllers app and find how to adjust the 15% RH offset down to 1%. Then watch for 2 weeks and see how she reacts. If the plant isnt wilting it still has moisture. Try not to let it wilt but the closer you can get to too dry on each watering the plant gets to breathe more O2 and gets more to eat.

Photos are way more forgiving than fast growing auto’s.(IMHO) Good luck +happy growing. CL🍀
Looks like a mosquito with the shit kicked out of it lol
That is what I thought to. CL.

Photos are way more forgiving than fast growing auto’s.(IMHO) Good luck +happy growing. CL🍀

That is what I thought to. CL.
Yeah I've noticed that. I also noticed autos do much better in a coco soil mix. Maybe il try 1 on my next run to see if I can get a better outcome. For now tho just gonna enjoy this run. Happy so far. Since I introduced a wee co2 bag I've seen growth rate pick up, thanks for commenting captain .. đź‘Ť

Hi Gazmufc,
Your plant looks a bit overwatered to me and its starting to show in the leaves. The twisted growth thats just starting and the early stages of chlorosis, which is the light green striping coming into the leaves are both signs of oxygen deprivation and the flies are likely fungus gnats which again are a classic sign of your soil being too wet. Cannabis needs a ton of oxygen. Every speck of food that the microbes prepare for your plant, and weed eats alot, MUST have an oxygen molecule attached for the plant to recognize it as a healthy choice (aerobic), so when you add water the water goes into the soil and moves down. It causes suction behind itself as it runs down thru the microscopic spaces and the suction behind the falling water pulls air down thru the soil. If you keep the soil too wet the standing water fills those microscopic holes blocking air, the plant starts to choke. Then there is the topdressing. Let your pots dry out quite dry. So the pots are quite light when lifted. Dont let the plant wilt but let it dry more than you are comfy with. When the top 2 inches are quite dry a crust will likely form. That is your topdressing having the epic battle between cal and mag until the cal wins and neutralizes mags grip,which takes time in organics so.... break that crust up. Very gently crumble it into quite fine dirt. Get right out to the edges of the pot all the way to the stalk. Now your surface is open for the oxygen to freely flow in behind the next watering. Every time you water to runnoff, then let the pot dry until its light you take a breath in, the next watering pushes carbon dioxide out, and its heavy so it only goes up into the air a bit, where the leaves eat it up, and behind that CO2 pushing water, new 02 sucks in again. By watering properly you are making your soil breath, and the plant loves rhythm. As your plant gets healthier it will naturally speed up the process by drinking quicker so you will water more often allowing more C02 out and more O2 in( its running now so its breathing faster) to be able to attach more O2 molecules to more food to eat more to push out more CO2 to pull in more O2 to eat more. The circle of life. Then watch the new growth and see if it looks better. I would find a way to dial in your humidity better. Lower humidity lets the plant move the water quicker to speed up the breathing. Go deep into your controllers app and find how to adjust the 15% RH offset down to 1%. Then watch for 2 weeks and see how she reacts. If the plant isnt wilting it still has moisture. Try not to let it wilt but the closer you can get to too dry on each watering the plant gets to breathe more O2 and gets more to eat.
Hey thanks Gee
That certainly a detailed explanation thanks mate. This is something I'm going to to have to get better at, until now I've been watering when the top few inches go's dry, and not watering until run off. I was reading somewhere if u wanted till run off in organics u wash out nutrients, but then I guess u replace them when u top dress. So even if its been 9, 10 days and the pot still feels like it has water in it and if plants not wilting still wait. OK cool, going to do this now. Just hoping I havnt done the damage already. What's about putting air stone in the water before watering? Some say do do it, some say no need. What do u do? Thanks in advance.. đź‘Ť

Back
Top Bottom