some advice please

grand

Hi everyone I'm new to :420: I have grown before but my room was way too big for my lights so my plants suffered. I gave up and gave away most of my stuff. I was cleaning out the other day and found my 400w hps ballast and a 90 w led ufo and decided to give it another shot.

What I would like is some advice on is:
1.should I run the lights together in one room or should I use two separate rooms?

2.Also could you recommend what size the room or rooms should be? Space is not a problem so any dimension could work, even though I know a lot of space won't be needed for the type of lights I have.

3.Oh and if you can recommend a strain that you think would strive in the space you recommend would also be greatly appreciated. I plan on doing scrog or fluxing.

I'm new to this forum and my place isn't set up as yet so as soon as I figure out how to do a journal and my space is ready I would start one.
Thanks in advance everyone :thanks:
Grand
:circle-of-love:

Hi grand, welcome to the site.:420: magazine is the leading internet resource for cannabis awareness and ending cannabis prohibition.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting all the assistance you need here for a successful grow as I did. If you post these questions in the FAQs forum you'll get an even better response. Plus there are a few more links in the New Member Start Links forum that you might find helpful.

Offhand I'd say you could run the LED for vegging and the HPS for flowering. If you don't have a cool tube the space will need to be large enough to accommodate the heat of the HPS. As far as strains, there are so many to choose. What is your preference?

:peace:

Hi rillos :rollit:

1.I intend to use either coco coir (what I used the first time) or soil,

2.the nutes i have is monkey juice from A.Nutrients(dont want to violate any rules and post names)that they claim was designed for coco coir

3.pot size would depend on what i can fit into the room.
:thanks: :peace:

Hey Pantagruel :rollit:
Thanks for the advice I would post in those forums also, like i mentioned before im new here so still trying to figure stuff out.
I like white rhino but I am willing to grow anything indica dominant.:thanks::peace:

how about some white widow :high-five:

20140514_144140.jpg

:thanks: everyone for your great suggestions.

Pitbull72 I'm a bit skeptical on the autoflowering strains. I haven't seen too many positive reviews maybe you can recommend some. :cheer:

Hello and welcome to the site. Let me have a go at answering your questions.

In terms of strain you should go northern lights in terms of training friendly northern lights trains so well and the high is pretty good. I would not recommend starting off with a strain such as chemdawg. Many people grow chemdawg but few do it right as in order to thrive it really needs a lot more nutrients then people are willing to provide the plant. So stick with northern lights as a starter plant.

For the size of the room and the lights in 1 explanation:

The size of your room should be predicated on how much light you are able and willing to provide. My general rule is 100 watts per square foot(roughly). I also have a 90 watt ufo and I put it in the corner of the grow room so the light can be used directly by 1 plant and indirectly it shines on 2 others as well as anything reflecting off the mylar gets refocused back to the plants. For your hps I would veg in a 4X4 space and flower in a 3X3 of course if you want a bigger growing space then you should invest in more lights as the more plants you put in for the same amount of light the buds get airy and thin and you will end up with some whimpy harvests. Since it has been some time since you have grown I would also clean the ballast out as there is im sure lots of dust from when it was used as well as storage. Most ballasts ive seen have some set of either 2 or 4 screws to hold on the faceplate or it will not have any screws and is held together by metal interlocking pieces. If you feel comfortable take the plate off and get in there with cotton balls or qtips. Careful of the wires and get those dustballs out because it could cause a short in the connection,hotter temps and even a fire. If you dont want to take the plate off then take tweezers and see if you can pull out any dust again be mindful of the wires. Anyways come by my journal take a look at the pictures and how I have the lights setup as I explained make some friends and I will be happy to answer any of your questions there. You can find my journal by clicking the link provided in my signature located directly under my post. Have a good day

:thanks: everyone for your great suggestions.

Pitbull72 I'm a bit skeptical on the autoflowering strains. I haven't seen too many positive reviews maybe you can recommend some. :cheer:

Check out the strain review section bro, there's a few reviews on Autos there. Many people have had great results with the Ryder, cheese, and NL strains. I like to stick with breeders that know autos. The newer companies scare me (but thats just me). I know alot are still skeptical of autoflowering plants but they have come along way since they hit the market.

:thanks: Pitbull and Smokerjoe you advice has been very helpful.

SJ how about if i use those cans of air that are used for cleaning keyboards etc.. would that work?

PB yeah i'm one of the skeptical ones lol kind of like how people are skeptical about LED's ........... I gave those a try so maybe I can try an auto or two
:rollit:

The aircan would probably work but I was going for a method where you probably have all of these things. I wasnt sure of the grow budget or anything like that. Give the aircan a try and let me know how it works out for you. Pitbull gave some solid info on autoflowers but personally I dont grow autos. Nothing against them but they will never yield close to what a photoperiod can and with the lights you have now you want photoperiod. Autoflower is very viable when you have not only a larger grow area but the light to support it. You can grow autos in any space but I dont find it to be economically viable in small plant counts. Plus with a auto you cant fim or top to coax out a heavier yield. What I am going to do and what ive suggested to others as well is to grow autos in with photoperiod. Once the autos are ready to be harvested then flip the lights to 12/12 or 11/13 for flower for the photoperiods. This way you get to have some good smoke while waiting for the others to finish up. It makes waiting so much easier when you have smoke already. Get more lights! If you can afford to get some more light then do so. You also want a roll of antidetection mylar. Its the stuff designed by the millitary its like 2 or 3 millimeters thick and blocks all infared if the police decide to poke around they wont pick up that massive heat signature. The roll cost me 100.00 but to me its well worth the price to further eliminate any chance of getting caught. Its washable and can be hung up again. Check it out

Welcome to the website as well pitbull. I take it your journal will be all auto?

Well have fun. You can also stop by my journal if you like. Have a nice day and enjoy the site

:welcome: grand to :420:. We are glad that you are here. It is cool that you have grown before. We are spreading the word about cannabis and hemp globally. Here New Member Start Links is a link to several more great links that may be of interest to you. One of which is How to Make a Grow Journal. Look around and if you have any questions then Frequently Asked Questions is a good place to look for answers or to ask questions. :peace: :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom