Some Advice, Pretty Please? AK47 & Jack

ladies are still going. Interestingly the ones outside seem to be getting happier, one in particular. Nights are in the low 40s but they don’t seem to mind.
0775374E-C0FA-47CC-A596-2066306F82D4.jpeg
2EBD4009-EBC9-4E46-BEC6-8B962C3808C6.jpeg
E4F2560A-847F-4C64-8C01-95250B2A257B.jpeg

So, the ones inside have been growing, but looking very anemic despite FF nutes and some mycorrhizal root booster. Those outside are looking better, one in particular. This is Jan 12.
Jan12outside.jpeg

So, I am giving up trying to improve the two inside, so they went outside a day ago. We'll see how they do.

Jan12outside_new.jpeg

Oh that’s not good on the yellowed up one. Also be aware that moving the bags in and out is a great way to bring critters in and possibly infect everything in the tent. The bag / roots may get too hot in smart pots, I read just today that @phantom is a desert grower along with @Fredwak - maybe one of these 2 can render advice

agreed on the yellowed one. again, due to the learning curve in the early stages of this grow (my first), I wasn't expecting anything from these plants, only to keep growing and learning. pots in and out are not a problem - separate from the new grow going on. great about @phantom and @Fredwak - hope you can check out my new grow and stop in for some advice now and then. would love to learn from you all!

hope you can check out my new grow and stop in for some advice now and then.
Already here! ;)
I figured I would post this here for you @gratefulredhead instead of in a message in case anyone else from AZ has other outdoor growing suggestions or wants an idea on how to take advantage of the 2 outdoor grow seasons we have here.

Like Buds said, steer clear of growing from May to September if you live in the really hot parts of AZ. I managed to grow some autos outside in June and July this year. They were sunburnt, crispy, and had very airy buds. That was with misters and a shade canopy, not worth it to try again in my opinion.

For photo period seeds, I'm actually starting my spring plants indoors right now. I'll veg them inside until February when I will bring them outside to flower (usually refered to as a spring light deprivation grow). This fall I did the same, I started the plants indoors and vegged them until September when I will took them outside to flower. You'll want your photo period plants outside to start flowering by early February or by the end of September. If you wait too long in the spring the increased light as you get towards summer will mess with your plants and you may have to do some sort of light deprivation to get them to finish without becoming hermies or revealing. If you wait too long in the fall (like I did this year because of the heat that never ended) you'll end up too far into December with the cold and limited light.

Auto flowering strains I would look at the seed to harvest time the breeder gives and add 2 weeks to it. For spring planting, I wouldn't advise going past May 1. I would calculate using the growing time of the plant to find when to plant the seeds. So for example you have a 65 day seed to harvest autoflowering seed, add 2 weeks as a buffer, which gives you approximately 11 weeks of growing. So 11 weeks backwards from May 1 would put you right around Valentines Day to plant your autos outside at the latest. For fall, I like to plant around Labor Day. Usually by then things are cooling off and it keeps you from harvesting too far into December.

I hope this helps give you an idea of growing outside down here. Having 2 flowering seasons is great you just need to know how to take advantage of it.

Hello @gratefulredhead, :ciao: I see Phantom has got your back! I hope this day finds you and yours healthy and happy:passitleft:
I live in a high desert environment so I don't get the advantage of two seasons. I could squeeze two rounds of autos i think. I am blessed with many days of 100+ temps and a lot of wind though! For me, these are my concerns. I've have a couple small greenhouses that started with plastic but now have evolved into mostly green screen cloth.
We have bud worms and the screen keeps out the moths and helps a little protect from high winds and super intense sunlight. As for your plants, I'm no expert by any means but it looks like you could use more perlite in your mix. I use coco coir indoors and ff outdoors but I mix perlite always, at least 30% for the coco and maybe 20 for soil. My outdoor are on drips so it prevents the loose medium from drying out. Have a great day and stay stoneder.

Yeah that yellow one looks like N deficiency or lockout, could be the media has gone hydrophobic. For whatever reason the roots don’t seem hooked up in the soil. What’s your watering game, are you checking ph? How often do you water? Do you feed every time? Also what’s the floor under your tent? Thinking concrete or tile floors and that will give them cold feet every time, this bit me in the ass last year too...!!! If so get sheet foam and elevate your crew off the floor

Any chance you’ve taken a temp reading of the stones before you place the bags outdoors or a reading of the stones temperature in peak sunlight? Radiant heat from block wall & stones might be too hot in black bag on roots but idk? If they are sitting on cold concrete slab indoors then moved to outdoors yep that could make a difference! Try to elevate all of your indoor plants up off the floor by 12 inches in height using spacers or grates or step stool etc. to get airflow under the bags. Agree with Fredwak that soil could use more perlite next time around

Yeah that yellow one looks like N deficiency or lockout, could be the media has gone hydrophobic. For whatever reason the roots don’t seem hooked up in the soil. What’s your watering game, are you checking ph? How often do you water? Do you feed every time? Also what’s the floor under your tent? Thinking concrete or tile floors and that will give them cold feet every time, this bit me in the ass last year too...!!! If so get sheet foam and elevate your crew off the floor

Any chance you’ve taken a temp reading of the stones before you place the bags outdoors or a reading of the stones temperature in peak sunlight? Radiant heat from block wall & stones might be too hot in black bag on roots but idk? If they are sitting on cold concrete slab indoors then moved to outdoors yep that could make a difference! Try to elevate all of your indoor plants up off the floor by 12 inches in height using spacers or grates or step stool etc. to get airflow under the bags. Agree with Fredwak that soil could use more perlite next time around
Well, I suppose I have to remember that I overwatered early, then transplanted probably still in stress, so.... ph is good - 6.5 each time. have been feeding with every watering for the last three or so waterings. water every 5 days or so. flooring their previous home is off the main floor, so not too cold or too hot.
stones are not too hot - it is only getting to 70 degrees here in the day. cool at night. if anything it is cool. I did add perlite to the mix for my new grow. thank you!

Hello @gratefulredhead, :ciao: I see Phantom has got your back! I hope this day finds you and yours healthy and happy:passitleft:
I live in a high desert environment so I don't get the advantage of two seasons. I could squeeze two rounds of autos i think. I am blessed with many days of 100+ temps and a lot of wind though! For me, these are my concerns. I've have a couple small greenhouses that started with plastic but now have evolved into mostly green screen cloth.
We have bud worms and the screen keeps out the moths and helps a little protect from high winds and super intense sunlight. As for your plants, I'm no expert by any means but it looks like you could use more perlite in your mix. I use coco coir indoors and ff outdoors but I mix perlite always, at least 30% for the coco and maybe 20 for soil. My outdoor are on drips so it prevents the loose medium from drying out. Have a great day and stay stoneder.
Hey Fredwak - I've got a couple good growing autos about a month in or so. Think it is time to move them outside? I'm outside of Phoenix - weather is getting NICE!

I figured I would post this here for you @gratefulredhead instead of in a message in case anyone else from AZ has other outdoor growing suggestions or wants an idea on how to take advantage of the 2 outdoor grow seasons we have here.

Like Buds said, steer clear of growing from May to September if you live in the really hot parts of AZ. I managed to grow some autos outside in June and July this year. They were sunburnt, crispy, and had very airy buds. That was with misters and a shade canopy, not worth it to try again in my opinion.

For photo period seeds, I'm actually starting my spring plants indoors right now. I'll veg them inside until February when I will bring them outside to flower (usually refered to as a spring light deprivation grow). This fall I did the same, I started the plants indoors and vegged them until September when I will took them outside to flower. You'll want your photo period plants outside to start flowering by early February or by the end of September. If you wait too long in the spring the increased light as you get towards summer will mess with your plants and you may have to do some sort of light deprivation to get them to finish without becoming hermies or revealing. If you wait too long in the fall (like I did this year because of the heat that never ended) you'll end up too far into December with the cold and limited light.

Auto flowering strains I would look at the seed to harvest time the breeder gives and add 2 weeks to it. For spring planting, I wouldn't advise going past May 1. I would calculate using the growing time of the plant to find when to plant the seeds. So for example you have a 65 day seed to harvest autoflowering seed, add 2 weeks as a buffer, which gives you approximately 11 weeks of growing. So 11 weeks backwards from May 1 would put you right around Valentines Day to plant your autos outside at the latest. For fall, I like to plant around Labor Day. Usually by then things are cooling off and it keeps you from harvesting too far into December.

I hope this helps give you an idea of growing outside down here. Having 2 flowering seasons is great you just need to know how to take advantage of it.
Hey troll - been revisiting your post above. I've got some 4 week old autos that are doing well - good to move them outside at this point? Weather is good and not dropping below 50 at night. I've got some fems that I only started inside a couple of weeks ago. Think they'll have to remain inside or think I can squeeze them in outside for a spring deprivation for flowering before it gets too hot? I'm trying to be clear by first week of May with all in any case.

Hey everyone. Well, this early experiment with these compromised ladies is still going and there are the cutest little buds in the making. Lol. Looks like I might be able to pull a little from a couple of these plants in the coming month?

Feb4a.jpeg
Feb4b.jpeg
Feb4c.jpeg
Feb4d.jpeg
Feb4e.jpeg

So, my bonsai autos are at 12 weeks and wondering when it might be time to cut and cure to see if I can get a gram or two from my first attempt at growing started last fall
IMG_0612.jpeg
. Not quite yet?
IMG_0641.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom