Some Local Shops Link Spirituality, Marijuana

I concure!!! :goodjob:

The great irony behind atheism is that you have one group of assholes dismissing another group of assholes' beliefs, both of which have absolutely no ability to say they're correct with any mathematical certainty.

The atheist could not prove the existence of nothingness any more than the religious man could prove the existence of God.

The conviction and nastiness that springs up in these conversations is all based on a bunch of faith without fact. For the atheist, it's faith in nothingness in the absence of scientific proof, and for the religious, it's the exact opposite.

Disclaimer:
For the purpose of this commentary "assholes" is a general term of affection intended for all of humanity (your humble author included) and not a jab at any member of any specific group.

i liked your screen name 420+420=840 like saying 1 on 1 smoker toker, I smoke 420 with you that smokes 420, so let's come together and 840 it....lol
Kind of a new way of peace and love era, let's all 840 find the other one person to make it your 840!!! :peacetwo:

Correct indeed! That's what atheism is as well...faith without fact.

i liked your screen name 420+420=840 like saying 1 on 1 smoker toker, I smoke 420 with you that smokes 420, so let's come together and 840 it....lol
Kind of a new way of peace and love era, let's all 840 find the other one person to make it your 840!!! :peacetwo:

Yeah I do like it, it's new secret code I love new ways to hide shit from the non-smokers :thumb:

I didn't realize atheism was absence of faith maybe because it's not....
Atheists tend to lean towards skepticism regarding supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence.[citation needed] Atheists have offered several rationales for not believing in any deity. These include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Other arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical. Although some atheists have adopted secular philosophies,[11][12] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.[13]
In Western culture, atheists are frequently assumed to be exclusively irreligious or unspiritual.[14] However, atheism also figures in certain religious and spiritual belief systems, such as Jainism, some forms of Buddhism that do not advocate belief in gods,[15] and Hinduism that holds atheism to be valid but difficult to follow spiritually.[16]

Wikipedia duh people!

Really with everyone here having a Computer here on the forum obviously! does anyone look up anything before they talk about things being fact?

When seekers climbed the hill to my monastic retreat, I would send them over to Golden Gate Park to sit in the Bamboo Grove and contemplate the stream that flowed through it.

"Seek the Source", I would tell them.

I usually never saw them again.

But one lady came back and said "I have found the source. It's a pipe at the top of the hill with a big brass valve."

She was obviously on the Path to Enlightened so I sent her over to Suasalito where she bought an old bait shop and opened the Marin Truth Center and Candle Shop.

A year or so later she met and married a Yoga teacher from Big Sur who had gained quite a following and a lot of money, but he eventually died from AIDS.

The last time I saw her, she was living in a gated community in the Marin Redwoods and had her own Bamboo Grove with a little stream flowing through it coming out of a pipe with a big brass valve.

@ptg710 "Any conversation dealing with religious opinions is based on 'faith without fact.' That's what religion is."

Actually, the root of the word religion is to retie, as in using a ligament to tie something. The idea being we "retie" or secure ourselves to the source.

That said, I would postulate that all "facts" are faith-based as well. We take as a "fact" that matter is made up of atoms. Have any of us actually seen an atom? Perhaps we have seen photographs of pictures taken by so-called electron microscopes, but what does that prove? Which is not to say I am being an apologist for religion, but also I prefer not to privilege so-called "fact."

As far as I can tell, the only thing I know for sure is that I exist.

:peacetwo:

Very nice.

I was of the belief that the Latin roots for religion is religio and religāre, not retie.

I disagree with you in the sense that all facts are faith based. For example, 2 and 2 will always be 4. That is a fact, absolute in every sense of the word. Theories are based on logic driven faith, facts are facts.

The electronic microscopes that you speak of are not "so-called" because man has provided a title for the device. Man has also provided names for the things that they see with this device. I may have never seen an atom, but I have seen giant mushroom clouds.
:blunt:

WOW!!! You're almost dead on with your code breaking there. I'm at a complete loss for any witty responce. REPs to you!:thumb:

R

Nicely said any one who says they have things figured out has a very limited knowledge-base of things. Do I believe in a book that has been used to control and oppress for centuries NO. No offense to anyone but for me it has been through to many BAD hands to be of much use.:tokin:

People have manipulated religious text for their own evil purposes, but the religious theories themselves are not to blame. They serve as a guide for life's journey much in the same way as any individual belief regarding right and wrong. Perhaps it's safe to say that only a fool would blindly follow any book, but the open minded individual could enjoy and apply the lessons from any religious text to their own existence much in the same way as any form of moral reasoning in the absence of experience. Do all need a specific book to guide them through life, no, but many people spend a good portion of their lives looking for some kind of path, information, and/or answers. Whether that source of direction comes from parents, peers, the internet, science, drugs, school, philosophical or religious text matters little. The decisions made by the individual count at the end of the day.

ok, i apologize for being a bit behind in my moderating duties. i was gone for awhile and its taken me a bit to get up to date. while this is one of the friendliest religious debates i've seen it has gotten off topic. in the news dept. we need to keep things Cannabis related. we're all free to debate religion in the off topic forum but even in the religion forum the discussion needs to be Cannabis related. i'm not going to delete any of the posts up to this point due to you all keeping it so friendly and respectful of each other but if you want to continue the debate please take it to the off topic forum.

Back
Top Bottom