Some pointers on my first grow

Puff420

Hi everyone I'm so happy to be her and let me say first off thanks for the advice.

I will be starting my first grow (indoor) as soon as my seeds germinate which they are in the process of doing. :cheer:

I had a few questions about watering and nutrients. I will be using fox farm soil to start and I know there is a lot of good stuff packed into fox farm for seedlings. I have been trying to get some fox farm fertilizer but it's been difficult to track down. So what else is par? Or just as good?:grinjoint:

Once I get nutrients what is a good feeding schedule?

I have read a lot about overwatering and I am really trying to avoid that so any pointers I could get would be really appreciated. How much should I water? When should I water pretty much anything about watering would be great.

Thanks

Nutrients

Advanced nutrients is a popular brand I notice in the forums as well as General Hydroponics. I personally use Cutting Edge Solutions nutrients. THe Butcher was kind enough to take a poll of what everyone uses check out this link>A Poll To See What Kind Of Nutes Are Preferred Read the posts as well, good info and opinions.

Thanks guys I'll make sure to check that poll out and do proper research into dosage.

When's a good time to start the feeding? How big should they be?

Hey thanks nuts that helps a lot! Now i know i got three weeks to find some good nutes lol. I will start light like you said i plan to start i grow journal for y'all to see and give me some pointers as soon as the seeds germinate and i get them into the soil.

You guys rock

Thanks again

So I've been looking at advances nutrients and I was wondering how well the iguana juice grow and bloom work and if they are par to fox farm? I'm thinking of purchasing it. What about the 3 part fert Micro grow and bloom any advice on these ferts would really help.
Thanks!

Hey Thanks! I managed to find some FF product today i searched the lower mainland called all the hydroponics stores so it looks like im set
Thanks Dudes

Fox Farm has some good stuff. What ever you chose to use, like previously stated, follow the dosing info provided, starting of weak to see how the plants respond. Spend some money on a PH and TDS tester and you will be thankful for it. It will help you avoid a lot of common mistakes around over-feeding and what not.

Good Luck.

Hey thanks for the advice can I pick up a PH and TDS tester at any gardening store? How much do they set you back?

I use the HANNA Ph/EC/TDS and Temp combo meters, but they all work good(I have been hearing really good things about the Milwaukee pens lately). I get them for around $120-$150 each. Unfortunately, mine tend to last a year at the most, but due to my "butter fingers". I like to keep 2 on hand, so if I see something that doesn't look right, I have something to check it against. Also, you can buy a $10 Ph kit at a pool or fish store that works just as good for Ph, if you don't have the scratch for a electronic pen right now. With Ocean Organic, Happy Frog, or the Original mix, you can probably get through all of your veg time with out adding any nutes, so all you need to worry about then is your soil/water Ph and the temp/humidity, which is cheap to check.($10 Ph kit at pet store, $5 thermometer w/humidity at Wally-world)

If you are going with Fox Farm soil, I personally like the Ocean Forest, 3 bags mixed to 1bag of Light Warrior (4.5 cu/ft of Soil with 1cu/ft Light Warrior), and then sprinkle with about a 1/4 cup of dolomite and mix it up in a kiddie pool. Thats a good starting point for organic soil. Based on the sizes of bags, thats the smallest amount you can mix. The store I go to does sell those 1qt containers of soil, but the Light Warrior only comes in bags I think. As you get to know your strains better, you can tweak the soil to suit.

Good Luck

Keep it simple. If its ur 1st grow, start out with the bare minimum until u get the feel for it or see if growing is even for u. I don't want u to start out ambitious, overwhelm urself, and give up. Seen a lot of that. Try starting with this formula. Media-Fox Farrms Ocean Forrest Soil, number of plants-6, size of pots- 1.5-3 gal w/drain pans beneath, Nutes General Hydroponics or Adavanced Nutrients basic 3 part grow and bloom nutrients (worry about additives later), a PH pen/meter (keep in mind most cheap ones are cheap. paid $80 for mine and never had a problem. Oakton is the brand), a measuring cup, some label steaks (to label plants), if u can't afford a sediment filter for ur water, a Brita or PUR filter will do for now (better that tap H2O, at least where I live). U can also go to the grocery stores and get water from the big machines at like $0.35/gallon. Be sure to read the machine and see that it is reverse osmosis water ur getting and not just filtered water. Veg everything together then flip (flower them all together when ready. After ur 1st run, review the weak and fine points and make necessary adjustments for the next run. This is how I suggest u go about ur 1st grow. If u don't really know how to set up a room, may I suggest investing in a tent? Secret Jardin makes pretty good ones (may have a different company name. I heard they sold the company but U can still google them). Hope this helps and good luck.
As far as watering goes, ur plants will tell u when its time to water. Just know that there is know set schedule unless u are able to duplicate the exact same environmental factors (in ur grow room) over and over. Temp, humidity, and stage of growth all play a significant role in watering. Keep this in mind, cannabis likes what I've seen in the forums reffered to as "dry feet". Meaning, after u water/feed (unless ur flushing) allow the soil to dry out about 70-85% b4 watering again. This allows roots to grow in search for water as opposed to it always being available to the roots where they are hindering growth of the root system and ultimately growth of ur plant. Now start a journal so we can monitor ur progress. Happy growing.

Back
Top Bottom