Someone please help sick plant, need help!! Noob grower

ChillAH

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can help me. with my sick plant. For some stats
Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest, mixed with perlite and dolomite lime
Strain: Indica (Critical from RQS)
Temp : 81
RH: 32
Plant is about 3.5 weeks old from seedling and is about 3.5 inches tall.

Plant was doing good on Saturday and then Sunday took a turn for the worse. Her leaves started to wilt, i think she may have a Nitrogen deficiency due to the color of the leaves, but I cant test the pH because the soil is brand new, so I know FFOF is Nitrogen rich, but I cant figure why the roots won't stretch out and grow out some. I transplanted the plant recently because I had noticed I didn't cut my soil mix the 1st time with any Perlite or vermiculite or lime to help balance pH. So i know if i do a pH test it will test for high acidity due to the soil being naturally hot out the bag.

I need someone help asap if anyone can point me in the right direction to help save this plant I would be super grateful,losing this plant is not helping my moral to grow in the future. She will be the 2nd plant I would have lost so far. Also please check out my signature for more details about the plant. Thanks.

Sorry Folks broke a huge rule, how can i ask for help with no pics ::smacks face::

See below pics

photo_1535.JPG
photo_4304.JPG
photo_3384.JPG
photo_2466.JPG

Antics I re potted the plant, you suggest a flush of the fresh soil? I totally get the pH and understanding if there is a nuts lock and using the ppm to check if the plant is drinking or eating more. I just worry that by doing the flush I am washing away nutes that haven't been used yet. Also I assume there shouldn't be salt build up in new soil correct?

Btw thx for answering Antics

You'll need to know the PH in order to receive accurate help. Whenever a problem occurs, I always test my PH before anything else.

If it's a PH issue, but we don't know the PH, so we ignore it and assume it needs nutrients, a flush, etc.. it can cause more problems.

Alright, tried to do this as soon as I got home, a little late, but I did a pH test as i suspected it would be an acidic environment. I have the pH UP/DOWN test kit. The color looks to be about 4.0-5.0. I have had trouble balancing pH from the start. Would someone like to guide me as to how to properly balance the pH in the soil.

Just a quick little update, I am not sure what happened, but doing the flush has perked the plant up, the leaves have picked up and are holding themselves up again. I was going to add some pH (+alkaline)water but I don't think I will be doing that since my tap water had a positive effect.

Just a quick side note if it helps, my tap water is pretty neutral and I have tested the ppm directly from the tap and have gotten PPM of 5-17

hiya chill
it would help if you put a bowl or plate with water near your plants,adds humidity
i think yours is a bit on the low side
your plant is stressed but still looks plenty strong enough to make a comeback
ocean forest is a bit hot and your patient needs to get used to it
with growth it will strengthen and adapt
no more nutrients for a while, the new soil has plenty in it for now, i think you burnt it a bit as it is
maybe next 2 waterings just use water only stay on the ph though

do you run enough water that you have plenty of runoff?
most people advise to soak well then dry well with perhaps around 20% runoff each watering
testing the runoff is a good way to get an idea of your soil ph
test the tap so that you know exactly what you are adding

adjust a bit and watch, do not overdue the triage
i am no expert and
i know i am not great help but i bump your post so that it may get more attention
keep the faith
take care and good luck

hiya chill
it would help if you put a bowl or plate with water near your plants,adds humidity
i think yours is a bit on the low side
your plant is stressed but still looks plenty strong enough to make a comeback
ocean forest is a bit hot and your patient needs to get used to it
with growth it will strengthen and adapt
no more nutrients for a while, the new soil has plenty in it for now, i think you burnt it a bit as it is
maybe next 2 waterings just use water only stay on the ph though

do you run enough water that you have plenty of runoff?
most people advise to soak well then dry well with perhaps around 20% runoff each watering
testing the runoff is a good way to get an idea of your soil ph
test the tap so that you know exactly what you are adding

adjust a bit and watch, do not overdue the triage
i am no expert and
i know i am not great help but i bump your post so that it may get more attention
keep the faith
take care and good luck

Thanks Yuyo,

I appreciate any advice you suggest. I'm a noob and can't figure something's out so I'm asking help from anyone who may be helpful even if you have 1 completed grow under your belt I am going to listen. I will add the bowl of water in the tent for some humidity. Before I left this morning which was about 8:30, RH was 41, and temp was 75. I will also for the next few watering a only use my water. As you mentioned I did ph and take the ppm of my tap. Ph was neutral, the test showed a very green color. I hope she can bak ounce back as you mentioned she seems like a fighter since I started from seed with her she was pretty resilient. As for the flush I did one last night I did 3 gallons of water for her flush. The pH of that run off was about 4.0-5.0. I did the test about 4x, I tested the pH between each gallon, kept getting an acidic result each time. I figured it has to be the soil, cause she hasn't been watered with any nutes since being transplanted. Will the pH eventually balance from the water? I'm trying to avoid using "pH UP" solution?

Thx for the positive vibes Yuyo, I hope when I get back tonight she had had more of a positive response, more leaves are gradually turning yellow. Also I have some happy frog soil on the way should be here by Fri.

Antics I re potted the plant, you suggest a flush of the fresh soil? I totally get the pH and understanding if there is a nuts lock and using the ppm to check if the plant is drinking or eating more. I just worry that by doing the flush I am washing away nutes that haven't been used yet. Also I assume there shouldn't be salt build up in new soil correct?

Btw thx for answering Antics

With your repot into fresh soil, a small flush would help remove excess nutrients. I would focus the water towards the center, where the older soil still is. The idea behind a flush in this situation is to dilute the nutrients that are excessive for your plant at this age.
Correct, there shouldn't be any salt buildup in the new soil.

In case I have to start from scratch all over again does anyone know or reccommend fox farms happy frog. I read I won't have to give nutes until the plant is about 6 wks old and is less "hot" for the plants. Can anyone confirm this.

Personally to make life easiest, I suggest a bag of cheap potting soil with no labels like *FEEDS PLANTS FOR UP TO xx MONTHS!* I find it easier to feed the plants on my own, without worrying about how strong the levels of nutes in the soil are. Normally you won't need nutes for 3-4 weeks anyways.

Alright, tried to do this as soon as I got home, a little late, but I did a pH test as i suspected it would be an acidic enviornment. I have the pH UP/DOWN test kit. The color looks to be about 4.0-5.0. I have had trouble balancing pH from the start. Would someone like to guide me as to how to properly balance the pH in the soil.

Your soil could be buffered at a lower PH. Where the soil I'm using always creeps up to around 7.0-7.5. So with every watering/feeding I use PH Down to adjust the level. For soil, the ideal range is 6.3-6.8, with 6.5 being ideal. I typically adjust down to about 6.0-6.2, and allow the PH to rise slowly until next watering. Which I again test my soil, and will adjust the PH of my water/nutes to compensate for the differences. I test my soil's PH, and adjust water PH for every single watering and feeding to ensure my final PH falls in the low 6's.

Just a quick little update, I am not sure what happened, but doing the flush has perked the plant up, the leaves have picked up and are holding themselves up again. I was going to add some pH (+alkaline)water but I don't think I will be doing that since my tap water had a positive effect.

Just a quick side note if it helps, my tap water is pretty neutral and I have tested the ppm directly from the tap and have gotten PPM of 5-17

If possible, fill a few containers with tap water, and let it sit for 24 hours to allow chlorine to disperse. Otherwise, tap water is fine, and it's what I use for my plants.
Now that you have seen a positive effect, watch the plant closely, but go back to a normal watering schedule. If you see more problems, let us know.

Thanks Yuyo,

I appreciate any advice you suggest. I'm a noob and can't figure something's out so I'm asking help from anyone who may be helpful even if you have 1 completed grow under your belt I am going to listen. I will add the bowl of water in the tent for some humidity. Before I left this morning which was about 8:30, RH was 41, and temp was 75. I will also for the next few watering a only use my water. As you mentioned I did ph and take the ppm of my tap. Ph was neutral, the test showed a very green color. I hope she can bak ounce back as you mentioned she seems like a fighter since I started from seed with her she was pretty resilient. As for the flush I did one last night I did 3 gallons of water for her flush. The pH of that run off was about 4.0-5.0. I did the test about 4x, I tested the pH between each gallon, kept getting an acidic result each time. I figured it has to be the soil, cause she hasn't been watered with any nutes since being transplanted. Will the pH eventually balance from the water? I'm trying to avoid using "pH UP" solution?

Thx for the positive vibes Yuyo, I hope when I get back tonight she had had more of a positive response, more leaves are gradually turning yellow. Also I have some happy frog soil on the way should be here by Fri.

Humidity is a little low for Veg, if you can increase to 60%-70% it would be beneficial, but not deadly to the plant otherwise. For Flower 40%-50% is ideal. If you can drape a cloth into the water, and have part hanging out, with a fan blowing across it, it can help increase your humidity level. Your temp is perfect, so no problems there.

The PH will rise after enough flushing, BUT if the soil is buffered for that PH, it will creep back down again.

With your repot into fresh soil, a small flush would help remove excess nutrients. I would focus the water towards the center, where the older soil still is. The idea behind a flush in this situation is to dilute the nutrients that are excessive for your plant at this age.
Correct, there shouldn't be any salt buildup in the new soil.

Personally to make life easiest, I suggest a bag of cheap potting soil with no labels like *FEEDS PLANTS FOR UP TO xx MONTHS!* I find it easier to feed the plants on my own, without worrying about how strong the levels of nutes in the soil are. Normally you won't need nutes for 3-4 weeks anyways.

Your soil could be buffered at a lower PH. Where the soil I'm using always creeps up to around 7.0-7.5. So with every watering/feeding I use PH Down to adjust the level. For soil, the ideal range is 6.3-6.8, with 6.5 being ideal. I typically adjust down to about 6.0-6.2, and allow the PH to rise slowly until next watering. Which I again test my soil, and will adjust the PH of my water/nutes to compensate for the differences. I test my soil's PH, and adjust water PH for every single watering and feeding to ensure my final PH falls in the low 6's.

If possible, fill a few containers with tap water, and let it sit for 24 hours to allow chlorine to disperse. Otherwise, tap water is fine, and it's what I use for my plants.
Now that you have seen a positive effect, watch the plant closely, but go back to a normal watering schedule. If you see more problems, let us know.

Humidity is a little low for Veg, if you can increase to 60%-70% it would be beneficial, but not deadly to the plant otherwise. For Flower 40%-50% is ideal. If you can drape a cloth into the water, and have part hanging out, with a fan blowing across it, it can help increase your humidity level. Your temp is perfect, so no problems there.

The PH will rise after enough flushing, BUT if the soil is buffered for that PH, it will creep back down again.

Hi Antics,

I will keep a close eye on her and hope the flushes help. I know this will take a few days to see a change as I'm sure she is in shock. I just have two questions. 1. If the soil is buffered at 4.0-5.0 @ some point won't it always test positive for acidity? Is there anyway to correct it outside of me constantly flushing the soil until nothing is left but dirt and perlite lol. 2. I should never if ever use the "ph UP" to adjust the pH in soil?

My other concern I'm hoping someone may have suggestion/tips on would be I tried to go as long as I could without having to water, to stimulate foot growth but I noticed when I transplanted her her roots were very small. The old pot didn't have enough perlite. Which is why I transplanted in the first place. Should I keep this practice up? Or does someone know a treatment that might help with her roots to grow more?

Thanks antics and for anyone else who has advice/tips.

If your P.H. is 4-5 you are going to have some problems, major problems. Avoiding using your P.H. up is a bad idea they sell it for a reason and it is very important. You need to up that to 6-7. when doing so make sure you adjust a little at a time until you get use to hitting your mark. You want to avoid going going over and having to go down and up and down, slowly adjust to get to your mark so you don't need to go back down. STAY ON TOP OF THE P.H. it will save you a lot of headaches later on. Also make sure you are drainage in working properly this little girls looked like they might have been sitting in stagnate water. Good luck with the grow.

If your P.H. is 4-5 you are going to have some problems, major problems. Avoiding using your P.H. up is a bad idea they sell it for a reason and it is very important. You need to up that to 6-7. when doing so make sure you adjust a little at a time until you get use to hitting your mark. You want to avoid going going over and having to go down and up and down, slowly adjust to get to your mark so you don't need to go back down. STAY ON TOP OF THE P.H. it will save you a lot of headaches later on. Also make sure you are drainage in working properly this little girls looked like they might have been sitting in stagnate water. Good luck with the grow.

Hi Dank,

Thx for passing by and offering some tips. How do I properly up the pH in the soil? I know bouncing around the pH levels is bad for the plant. Do you suggest I take some plain tap water that is about 5.5-6.0 ph and try to water that water and then the next feed something more basic? If you were in my shoes what steps would you take to adjust the pH the proper way. I admit adjusting pH is hard for me with plants. To make matters worse I have my bachelors in biology and have messed with pH quite often lol. Difference here is bigger organism vs a microscopic one. As for the drainage the soil in the pic was mixed with perlite, and placed in the pot, nothing stagnant from what I noticed, water ran off quite a bit and quite freely. Thx for the words dank. I'm hoping she turns around for the best.

Going to try part of the cloth draped into water with the fan over it to increase humidity. Humidy was at 31% tonight. I will post if this has helped as well.

Back
Top Bottom