Somewhere after 10,000

Jackalope

There was I time years ago. I was pretty sure I knew as much or more strain info then anyone around. Book reading and research knowledge mostly. Now days there is no keeping up. Even generational strains are being left behind for newer stupider names.

It used to be there were classes and families of strains. Family names gave you origins and other info because we knew them personaly Hybrids would carry some of the parentage in the name in most case's . Some of the greatest family names has been lost through the years. In some case's it is probably not a bad thing LMAO.

The Whites were always a strong family. They were great for helping others when strength was needed. White Widow became generational when everyone was using it for hybrids. Now we have a impostor show up. A strain called The White. No White Widow genetics or any of her offspring in The White. It is covered in cystal and strong as hell and looks white. So much crystal that it is probably not be a bad thing LMAO. Still now when " White" is mentioned or in the name you are still left guessing.

The Blueberries are a huge family. In most case's Blueberry is Blueberry unless it is Blueberry. Sound confusing? your right. "The" Blueberry is D.J. Shorts. It was so good and so stable it became generational. Others have copied, hybridized or made their own Blueberries. Some have smell some have flavor but Blueberry is supposed to be in there somewhere. The biggest difference in a single name probably comes from Blueberry's some are good some bad and a few greats.

Some mention of the Og's has to be considered. But which one? Even the Og's don't know who is really in the Og family. It seems anyone can use the Og name of their lesser known nickname Kush. They don't even need to be related. This family became so famous it become generic. They should have learned from their friends the Cronic's

So many famous families are being lost and forgotten. The Mites and the Timewarps from Canada are rarely heard from these days. The Skunks had a terrible family fight and they went their separate ways. Moving thousands of miles away from each other. Both started doing things their own way and soon became totally different. Some families had other problems. The Lowriders had to change their name to Auto for some reason . To tell the truth "Slutty" would have been a better name because they ended up breeding with everyone.

Even shitty pot got a new name and a new job. CBD had a great ad campaign and found its way into many peoples grow rooms around the world.

In the end they say variety is a good thing. I am not so sure. Nothing wrong with simplicity. The biggest reason that so many strains is a problem. They are never perfected. They are cloned mothered or selfed. They are never refined enough for them to become generational. Some of them carry tons of THC so it is not all bad. There is also nothing wrong with new and improved in some case's but not all.

All that writing was only to get me to this comment. "Great is not always new!" Yes I am trying and growing lots of new strains. I am finding my real favorites when I retrace the family trees. Going back to the originals or their first offspring in some case's. When you get the right Pheno's of the great strains you understand why they were grown used for breeding to start with. Some of those strains are perfect and better left as they are. The farther you get from those original "Generational" strains the more you loose those things that made it perfect to begin with.

If you are looking for greatness or just starting growing. Look to the generational strains before chasing fancy fruity names. Your outcome will be more consistent and will impress even some of the pickiest people. It will also let you know what that strain really is. Then you will know what you can expect from it in a hybrid. Know what a strain is and does will help you understand how it will be in a hybrid.

I always say that the future does not inherently mean progress. I also agree that the naming of strains is out of fucking hand, seriously. If it's not even stabilized it shouldn't even have a name that's not just "Parent 1 x Parent 2", which is 75% or more of the strains on the market right now. I won't even start with dispensaries that make up their own versions of already established strains, but screw them too.

It's just marketing pageantry. Mists with no Mist lineage, Skunks that are 75% Kush, Thais said to be pure but were originally crossed with Colombian or something 20 years ago, CBD strains with totally hit or miss CBD content— the list goes on. Let's not forget flavour-of-the-month coattail riding naming like "Blue Glue Cookies" that have none of the related genetics and from some entry level seedbank.

As with people "stable" is a relative term. Even stabilized strains may have a couple pheno's. Different pheno types is not a problem if they can be identified.

Plus without F-1 hybrids we wouldn't have many strains at all. A F-1 strain is not stabilized.

It all comes down to advertising and marketing. I think lots of the seed companies started out wanting to sell great seeds at a good price. Hard way to make a living selling seeds. Keeping up with the Jones's and the need to get newer products to market. Leave them fighting to keep themselves relevant.

Even great companies will have huge up's and down's in the seed market. Because of this they all take risk's and market seeds before anyone else does. Far to often these strains are rushed.

Another big deal in the seed companies themselves. There are different types.

Some breed just regular strains.
Some breed just feminized strains.
Some just copy known strains.
Some do Auto genetics
Last but not least, the CBD guys.
Know what kind of seeds you want and go to that type of breeder. Most companies that do one thing tend to do it better.
They concentrate on a certain market and breed accordingly. Even companies that mix it up a little can do this with success. Watch for companies that carry everything and lots of everything.

Everyone has different tastes. Some companies want to convince you that they have something for everyone. That is usually not the case. No one can please half the people let alone all. How many strains a company markets can tell you a lot.

It is best to use different breeders for different things. Just because the market has millions of options doesn't mean we have to buy them. Part of today's problems come from growers themselves.

Do your research. In the end it is "You" that buy's the shitty strains. Just because they sell it does not mean you should buy it. Even in main stream companies there is very little truth in advertising today. In less then legal companies (like marijuana seed companies) they are not held to any standards at all.

If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is. There is no marketing area that that statement is more important.

Back
Top Bottom