Soundproofing help needed

Kriaze

Hello everyone, I’m wanting to start growing again but after purchasing my Quantum Boards, new tent, fan and carbon filter I’ve run into a serious issue as I need to be as stealthy as possible. I have changed location and received complaints regarding the noise created by the fan (even running it at low speed with the inbuilt fan controller so I’m now looking for ways to reduce the noise going through to the neighbours room which is directly adjacent to the room I’m using (no option to move elsewhere) and also the opposite wall where we can hear it loudly whenever we’re within around 10/15 feet away.

I’m currently thinking of setting the grow tent on a couple of sound dampening gym mats and then covering the wall with thick rugs/carpets or even curtains, anything that will reduce the noise nuisance that it has become as I’m currently unable to pop my seeds, luckily I gave the room a couple of nights testing before going ahead and popping but complaints were received within those two days. I don’t have the DIY ability (or even tools) to be fitting stud walls and such so do people think this would suffice before I go spending my budget (around £400)? Are there better alternatives for soundproofing the room that I’m missing? I really need to get going soon as my supplies are low and I don’t want to be having to mess around with street dealers and such again (fed up with hanging around shady locations meeting dodgy people that want to sell me cocaine which is a big thing around here but not for me. Any and all offers of help or opinions would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

Hello everyone, I’m wanting to start growing again but after purchasing my Quantum Boards, new tent, fan and carbon filter I’ve run into a serious issue as I need to be as stealthy as possible. I have changed location and received complaints regarding the noise created by the fan (even running it at low speed with the inbuilt fan controller so I’m now looking for ways to reduce the noise going through to the neighbours room which is directly adjacent to the room I’m using (no option to move elsewhere) and also the opposite wall where we can hear it loudly whenever we’re within around 10/15 feet away.

I’m currently thinking of setting the grow tent on a couple of sound dampening gym mats and then covering the wall with thick rugs/carpets or even curtains, anything that will reduce the noise nuisance that it has become as I’m currently unable to pop my seeds, luckily I gave the room a couple of nights testing before going ahead and popping but complaints were received within those two days. I don’t have the DIY ability (or even tools) to be fitting stud walls and such so do people think this would suffice before I go spending my budget (around £400)? Are there better alternatives for soundproofing the room that I’m missing? I really need to get going soon as my supplies are low and I don’t want to be having to mess around with street dealers and such again (fed up with hanging around shady locations meeting dodgy people that want to sell me cocaine which is a big thing around here but not for me. Any and all offers of help or opinions would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

I'd focus on dampening the exhaust fan first. that's probably the only thing making any real noise. I'm not sure how i'd do that besides using lots of some kind of rubber material. how's the fan mounted? got any pics?

off topic, but just looked at your "take pics under LED lights" thread and that's amazing man lol. i think i might mess around with that.

Im pretty sure you can purchase boxes specifically made for sound proofing the exhaust fans. You can make your own using egg carton foam like for a matress, and some cardboard or a small rubermaid tote.

Im pretty sure you can purchase boxes specifically made for sound proofing the exhaust fans. You can make your own using egg carton foam like for a matress, and some cardboard or a small rubermaid tote.

Yes. that memory foam would be where it's at for sure.

Most of the noise is the air rushing through the fan. That’s the noise you’ll be tending to Kraize. Somewhere on this site there must be an applicable thread on making an easy damper.

@Mr. Krip, any ideas?

I bought the stealth fan and acoustic ducting and it is pretty quiet when it first fires up, but overnight the sound gets louder and louder so I really need to look at soundproofing the room. I’ll be back shortly with pictures of the setup, thanks everyone for the input so far.

Ok here are the pics, I’ve attached one of the setup, one of the Hyperfresh Stealth fan and one of the acoustic ducting. Even firing it up for a moment was way too loud, in fact unzipping the tent could be heard from downstairs apparently so as you can see Stealth will be an issue here without some drastic changes. Once again any and all input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 558751F8-19AE-4F59-8B92-D4666D4ACCC8.jpeg
    558751F8-19AE-4F59-8B92-D4666D4ACCC8.jpeg
    752.6 KB · Views: 47
  • A0EE56FB-C347-403D-B52E-3AB5EF495F29.jpeg
    A0EE56FB-C347-403D-B52E-3AB5EF495F29.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 90D6D4BD-2C7F-4ED7-929F-72195A59875C.jpeg
    90D6D4BD-2C7F-4ED7-929F-72195A59875C.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 47
I'm not sure where you live or what your hardware stores offer but Home Depot in the United States sells 4ft by 8ft sheets of insulation that are 1 inch thick. They're pretty cheap and very lightweight and can be cut to fit very easy. The ones I've used before once I've used before are pink in color. Just attach them to the wall with an occasional long roofing nail. Just an idea

for sure get the scrubber off the floor and hung from the ceiling of the tent and half of your noise is gone

I'm not sure where you live or what your hardware stores offer but Home Depot in the United States sells 4ft by 8ft sheets of insulation that are 1 inch thick. They're pretty cheap and very lightweight and can be cut to fit very easy. The ones I've used before once I've used before are pink in color. Just attach them to the wall with an occasional long roofing nail. Just an idea

I’m in the UK here and I can’t seem to find anything lightweight and soundproofing other than pure foam or blankets, it seems soundproofing isn’t a big thing here :/

for sure get the scrubber off the floor and hung from the ceiling of the tent and half of your noise is gone

The problem I have is that when I tried hanging the fan and filter not only did it not fit in my tent (1.2m x 1.2m) but the holders that the ratchets attached too actually bent and looked as though they would snap. I’ve currently got a piece of polystyrene underneath it and am looking at purchasing some sound absorbing mats to go under the tent.

Would he benefit from using bungles to hang with? I’d think the less vibration the better.

Would he benefit from using bungles to hang with? I’d think the less vibration the better.

I think it would too Sue (hey good to see you again btw) but the design of the attachments for the ratchets is abysmal, which is a shame as these filters are supposedly highly rated, Mountain Air they’re called.

I’ve currently got a piece of polystyrene underneath it and am looking at purchasing some sound absorbing mats to go under the tent.

Then I’d look for some dense mats to set it on. If they’re good mats you shouldn’t need an overlarge piece.

Edit: I see you plan to set the tent on the mat. That may stop a significant amount of vibration, so you’re left with some type of sound- dampening system for that fan exhaust.

@Duggan, any ideas on how Kraize could cut the fan noise? You’re pretty legendary in my book for sound control. Lol!

Then I’d look for some dense mats to set it on. If they’re good mats you shouldn’t need an overlarge piece.

Excellent, this is the route I was considering. Thanks for your help, now I just need to find a way to either cover the walls or even the tent if need be. But if I cover the tent I’m thinking I may suffer heat issues that even the QB’s won’t be able to compensate for.

Good to see you too Kraize. :hug:

Excellent, this is the route I was considering. Thanks for your help, now I just need to find a way to either cover the walls or even the tent if need be. But if I cover the tent I’m thinking I may suffer heat issues that even the QB’s won’t be able to compensate for.

I think you’re right. If you can silence that airflow you’ll have much more peace of mind. I’m hoping Duggan can point you in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom