South Indian Sativa LED SOG Experiment

Day 67 (3 weeks since I switched to 12/12)

So it's been 3 weeks since I started flowering the plant, and in about 2 weeks Plant A showed that it's a female and she's been going ok so far

There are just 4 main air branches which I've spread out like a "+" sign and all the nodes on these branches are exposed to a good amount of light.

Here's Plant A
420-magazine-mobile181115343.jpg

A lot more pistils are popping out, and development is beginning to happen. It will be interesting to see how the plant looks about a week or 10 days from now.

The stringy and skinny new growth is also beginning to open up again.
420-magazine-mobile579696420.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2124570345.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1176344947.jpg

The branches have stretched quite a lot and there are pretty long gaps between nodes. I don't think it was the lights which could've caused the stretching.

One think I've got to keep in mind is that this is a bad seed of a landrace Sativa of South India. So probably this stretching is a characteristic of this plant.

Also, I'm guessing flowering will also take quite a while with this plant.

Anyways, let's wait and watch!

Cheers.

Day 69 .

Plant looks good, more pistils popping out.

420-magazine-mobile623965516.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1540405724.jpg

420-magazine-mobile413698254.jpg

The plant is beginning to increase her water intake, I'm expecting a lot more development in the next few days. Let's see!

Cheers!

Day 73 (28 days since I switched to flowering)

So the lone plant A is getting hairy... she started budding 2 weeks into the 12/12 cycle.. I think the grow rate is steady..

This plant is pretty wild.. it stretched out like crazy when it switched to flower..

Calyxes are getting more prominent as well, waiting to see when they start swelling up.

All in all this plant is a pretty slow one, I've been making sure I've created a good environment for her.

I've trimmed all the lower branches off, and I'm concentrating only on 4 of the top most branches, all 4 branches are spread out like a "+" sign and all the nodes are getting good light.

Looks like it's gonna be a popcorn-bud fest with this plant.

Anyways, enough words... here are some pics!

420-magazine-mobile385835100.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1985918971.jpg

420-magazine-mobile904359211.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1291579450.jpg

Cheers and Stay Tuned!

Here are some better pics of the growth:-

420-magazine-mobile418075472.jpg

420-magazine-mobile489294648.jpg

420-magazine-mobile756617963.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1997715347.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1953141840.jpg

420-magazine-mobile962986720.jpg

420-magazine-mobile307017972.jpg

Plant stretched out like crazy so there's a lot of space between some nodes..

Seems like this plant is gonna gimme a popcorn harvest.

I dunno why the plant stretched like that.. temps were fine, lights were also pretty much in range... maybe it's just the wild nature of this plant switching to flower, I have heard that some plants stretch wildly during flower.

Now all I've got to do with this plant is keep feeding it and taking care of it, till it's time to harvest.

My next grow will be autos, and the strains I've got are pretty short ones and the genetics are good, so I'm sure the results will be very different.

Anyways, I'm still very excited to see how this bagseed smokes once it's harvested!! It's been a good learning experience.

I've never done a photo-grow, so I'm happy I successfully switched the plant to flower and I was able to determine sex, I was able to try out a little bit of LST, learned about PPMS... and I've gotten better at reading a plant and also gotten better at feeding the plant right.. etc etc.

It's a good experience ..

How much time do you think flowering will take?!
Yes, maybe the genetics are responsible for the crazy inter node spacing...

Yeah I'm guessing it's the genetics, unless there is some other stretching factor which I may have overlooked.

I'm thinking I'll be able to harvest probably in another 6-8 weeks maybe... can't really say with this plant, I don't have anything to compare with as well. This plants genetics seem to be that way..

Let's see, now the plant has stopped growing and I'm looking forward to see how the calyxes swell.

Cheers!

Here are some better pics of the growth:-

420-magazine-mobile418075472.jpg

That's a cool looking plant with its needle thin sativa leaves, but something isn't quite right for the plant. The leaves shouldn't be drooping and cupped like that. Maybe it's just the nature of the plant but I'd be more inclined to suspect overwatering or nitrogen toxicity. Are either of those a possibility, Hasnain?

That's a cool looking plant with its needle thin sativa leaves, but something isn't....

You're absolutely right; I felt the same.

I think it's because of ph fluctuations or nitrogen toxicity, because I did notice a fluctuation when I checked runoff..

And yes there could be nitro-toxicity as well,

I flushed my plant today till I got a run-off of 6.2 and ppm of 230.. So I'm guessing the plant is successfully flushed.

Now I'll wait and watch for any improvements.

Thanks and cheers!

Day 81 (36 days since 12/12)

The plant looks okay,

A few days back I suspected that there was some nitrogen toxicity and ph fluctuations; so I flushed the plant till I got a ppm of 230 and ph of 6.2.

The plant should be recovering from whatever it may have been experiencing, and I even fed the plant again yesterday with a runoff ppm of about 800, ph being the same - 6.2

I think I'm quickly realising that PPMs is only but a guideline and it may vary from one strain to another.

I'm planning on this cycle now : (feed-water-water), and then repeat. This just might work for me, ill flush only if I need to.

Anyways, here are some pics:

420-magazine-mobile1700672885.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1819757626.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1142844863.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1845004932.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1020779391.jpg

420-magazine-mobile37105140.jpg

I have a strong feeling that even though there might have been ph fluctuation and maybe a nitrogen toxicity, this plant is still a pretty slow strain and has a long flowering period.. it being a landrace bagseed and all...

I am beginning to see the calxyes more prominently and while using my jewellers loupe I was able to even see a tiny glaze of trichomes on a few of the calyxes, I'll take pics when they become more prominent.

Anyways, I'm gonna do my best to keep things as stable as possible, let's hope for he best!

Cheers guys!

Hello Hasnain! I haven't read every page of your journal because it's super late here and I spotted your thread just as I was about to nod off (I promise I'll read it all tomorrow!), but I have collected seeds from a trip to Sri Lanka and grew them indoors and out, and what I can tell you is that the plant you have there will just keep stretching and stretching. I need to have a look through my notes to recall the name of the plant (they may just refer to it as Kush in India), but it smells distinctly of black pepper when cured. I experimented with males and females of this strain, indoors and out and both performed terribly indoors with little to no bud and almost all hermied under artificial light. If you can manage them indoors and they don't want to self pollinate or produce seeds, you're looking at around 20 weeks to finish flowering and the yield will be minimal. Remember, these girls reach 12-16ft outdoors! Sorry to sound so pessimistic but as soon as I spotted these ladies I got a headache just remembering what a nightmare they were. They will never stop stretching!

Now germinate some more and grow some monsters in the sun!

Hello Hasnain! I haven't read every page of your journal.....!

Hey man,

I agree with you completely, I live very close to Sri Lanka and I think the seeds u got must be very very similar to this wild landrace Sativa I'm growing.

And as u can see from the pics this is mostly gonna be an airy-popcorn bud harvest.

About that "peppery" scent, yes ur right, this stuff does have that sting on ur nose.

And hey no worries, I know ur not trying to be pessimistic, I pretty much knew this is a wild strain and is definitely an outdoor strain, I was just trying to experiment and see what I could come up with.

Anyways, Once I'm done harvesting this girl, I'm gonna start with my autoflower seeds which I've ordered, which are genetically strong and are good for indoor grows.

Thanks and Cheers! .

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED :-

Something weird is happening...

Just to remind old and new subscribers, I'm using a cocopeat soil which "had" added organic slow-release ferts in it, but I watered the soil down till all the slow release ferts were exhausted.. so in a way I converted the soil to just cocopeat. I did this because I wanted to have better control over what I was feeding, hence I flushed out all the ferts from the soil and started feeding it chemical nutes.

Now that you know that information, please read on:-

So I watered my plant yesterday with ph'd water @ 5.8 ph. The ph of the runoff in the previous watering was 6.2, so I made sure I watered it with about the similar ph, in fact a bit lesser ph...just to make sure the ph stays between the 5.8-6.0 range...

The runoff I got after watering yesterday was 6.8... how is that possible?

Furthermore, I watered the plant today with about 5.2 ph'ed water to try and lower ph, and today I got a runoff reading of 7.2!!!!!

WTF is happening??? I keep trying to bring the ph down but it's increasing.... has the earth started spinning a different way?? lol......

Starting to get a bit confused and frustrated .

Please help guys.

Cheers.

Hasnain, I think there's a forum here full of coco growers. You might get better responses there to your issue. I know nothing about coco and am baffled by your rising pH.

Thanks Rider, I posted the same question in the "frequently asked questions" section and I got a reply.

Seems like there could be some sort of an agent or maybe agents in the potting mix which might be responsible for this.

I'm gonna stick to my watering method and maybe this agent might wear off.

Thanks!

Day 84 (39 days since 12/12)

I fed my plants with about 950 ppm at 5.2 ph

Got a runoff of 650 ppm at 6.1 ph. (Finally the ph has dropped)

Hopefully this rising ph thing is solved now!!!

Here are some pics:-
420-magazine-mobile416093716.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1110109345.jpg

420-magazine-mobile159627256.jpg

The calyxes are slowly beginning to do their thing, plus I'm able to see just a hint of frost now on them.. still a long way to go though.

Cheers and Stay Tuned people!

Back
Top Bottom