Spara's 1st Grow - DWC - Bubbler - LED - Cotton Candy/Strawberry Cough/Early Vixen

Sparafucile00

So here goes folks, creating my first grow journal.

First off, let me say, I have grown tomatoes, peas, strawberries, and even corn on my deck. That being said, this is my first real cannabis grow with the exception of putting a few seeds out in the bushes and seeing little return. Obviously effort in = amount returned.

To add to my entertainment, this is my first indoor grow of anything more than peas, and the first time I am working with Hydroponics at all. I have always working in the past with dirt with manure fertilizer so adding external nutes and working with PH and PPM was all new to me when I started reading 2 months before I started this project.

And just to make it even better, lets go with 3 different strains at the same time. What could go wrong I ask you ( Rhetorical question, but I know it will be answered ;) )

So here is my setup

Bucket Size 5 Gallon (3)
Medium Water
Lights 400W Mars II Hydro LED
Nutrients FloraNova Micr/Grow/Bloom, Floralicious Plus, RapidRooter
Strains Cotton Candy(1), StrawBerry Cough(1), Early Vixen(1)
Tent 24" x 20" x 63"

Started Germ Dec 28th once the tent arrived. Lights were due early in the new year, and had a T5 from an herb garden ready just in case.

Since then, everything has turned out better than expected. Even a friend who decided to do an almost identical setup, who has growing experience, is enjoying the daily photo shoots.

Now the photos I am uploading today are of the Cotton Candy Strain, hereby referred to as Candy. Yes, I named them. I dealt with it, hope everyone else can ;) I will post Strawberry and Vixen as time allows.

Day 7
Below - First day of Solo Photo Shoots away from her sisters.
Cotton_-_Jan_3.jpg

Day 8
Cotton_-_Jan_4.jpg

Day 9
Cotton_-_Jan_5.jpg

Day 10
Cotton_-_Jan_6.jpg

Day 11
Cotton_-_Jan_7.jpg

Day 12
Cotton_-_Jan_8.jpg

Day 13
Cotton_-_Jan_9.jpg

Day 15
Cotton_-_Jan_11.jpg

Day 16
Cotton_-_Jan_12.jpg

Apologies for any blurry photos. Working off my Cell Phone for now.

Re: Spara's 1st Grow - DWC Bubbler LED Cotton Candy Strawberry Cough Early Vixen Jour

Working from home today, so had a chance to sit with the ladies for a few moments between training modules. I cannot get over Cotton's explosive growth the last few days. Seeing new nodes almost every 48 Hrs now.

Day 17 - Morning
Cotton_-_Jan_13_Day_17_.jpg

Re: Spara's 1st Grow - DWC Bubbler LED Cotton Candy Strawberry Cough Early Vixen Jour

I want to play too... Hope it's ok to hang out? Love me some Cotton Candy. Mmmmmm Candy. Subbed and front row. Thanks for the journal.

Welcome to :420: and be active.

While checking their PH @ Lunch, Did a quick Group Shot of the 3. As well, here is their Nute Schedule I will be working with ( Timelines may change obviously )

Day17 Group Shot
Group_Photo_-_Jan_13th_Day_17.jpg

Attempted Nutrient Schedule
Nute_Sched.JPG

While checking on the ladies PH This evening, ( 5.86 average btw ) I, as always, snapped a few quick photos.

Cotton Candy, Day 18, Topside View
Cotton_-_Jan_14_Day_18_a.jpg

Cotton Candy, Day 18, Feeling a little frisky, stalk shot.
Cotton_-_Jan_14_Day_18_b.jpg

5 Nodes all nicely visible, with the 6th node forming nicely. Its getting nearly time for me to top it, however going to wait till the other 2 ( Strawberry and Vixen ) are also ready to be topped. Trying to keep them the same sizes if possible. Something tells me Cotton will be the producer of the 3 though.
Cotton_-_Jan_15_Day_19_.jpg

Interesting possible problem starting. Any thoughts folks? I have 3 leaves on Cotton that are showing Brown Spots ( See Below ). It originally started with just one, but 2 more have appears. The issue seems to be isolated to the oldest nodes, so not sure if its an age, a grew too quickly, too much nutrients, or possible some dumbass ( me ) dropped a drop of water from one of the buckets on them ( god I hope its the dumbass option ). Beyond that, the plant is doing wonderful.

Cotton_Brown_Leaf_3.jpg
Cotton_Brown_Leaf_2.jpg
Cotton_Brown_Leaf_1.jpg

Shes still looking healthy.
Cotton_-_Jan_16_Day_20_.jpg

So Cotton is more than ready for topping, no questions asked there. Strawberry is also ready, and Vixen has just starting popping her 6th node up so from what I read, they should all be ready for phase 2. trying to keep 3 different plants to the same schedule is a definite challenge, but I think its also forcing a bit of patience onto me, which I know I need. I can't be completing in 30 days what naturally takes 120 :)

Cotton is still the only one showing any browning on the leaves, and its only with her first 2 sets, so I am apt to believe its either aged leaves or I dribbled some nutes onto them by accident. Will make sure that doesn't happen going forward.

Installing Tomato cages either tomorrow or Wednesday to help with the Low Stress Training I want to try as well. Hell, why have 1 Cola when I can have 8 right?

So for quick review, what I am trying for the first time at the moment is

1 > Growing Cannabis
2 > Growing Indoors
3 > Growing under LED
4 > Growing Hydroponically
5 > Low Stress Training / Topping

Judging by what appears to be 3 healthy plants, I thing so far 1 through 4 are coming along, now time to toss in number 5 :)

Re: Spara's 1st Grow - DWC Bubbler LED Cotton Candy/Strawberry Cough/Early Vixen Jour

Okay, seriously stressful day for me today. Coming home and having to attack my beautiful plant. Damn, NOT fun, but if this works, and so far what I have read has gotten me this far, I should produce alot more than just letting her be. But due to the stress ( on me ), I will only do Cotton today. As long as she doesn't look worse off tomorrow, the other two go under.

Incoming Picture Spam. I took a number of photos before, during, and after the process. Some things that amazed me... The size of the opening of her main steam for nutrients to flow through, the fact she has 9 fingers, and the speed at which I saw drops forming where I had just removed her previous nodes from.

I sooo hope I have not killed a GORGEOUS plant.

See Below

Before Cut, you can see the PH Fluctuation Burns ( from what I can tell ) she received last week.
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_a.jpg

Before Cut, you can see the PH Fluctuation Burns ( from what I can tell ) she received last week.
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_b.jpg

Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_c.jpg

Top Gone. Look at that beauty.
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_d.jpg

The Top. Wish I knew someone who needed a clone. Instead, I will dry her two 9 finger leaves as a memento
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_e.jpg

After all cuts are complete
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_f.jpg

The leftovers
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_g.jpg

Using a heavy duty nylon to start the LST. Extremely loose, and the using a velcro pull system I set up, I can easily adjust or loosen as needed.
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_h.jpg

Using a heavy duty nylon to start the LST. Extremely loose, and the using a velcro pull system I set up, I can easily adjust or loosen as needed.
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_i.jpg

Look at the opening
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_j.jpg

Forming drops minutes after my massacre
Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_k.jpg

Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_l.jpg

Cotton_-_Jan_20_Day_24_m.jpg

Re: Spara's 1st Grow - DWC Bubbler LED Cotton Candy/Strawberry Cough/Early Vixen Jour

Okay so I did it, I mangled my other two plants in a similar fashion today. Would not have done it but I can see Cotton is responding well to treatment. I will post a group shot tomorrow, as well as individuals to show the results. Maybe even a couple root shots when I check the PH if your lucky ;)

Okay, seriously, I think I am stressing as much as Cotton is. So PH has been steady most of the week without issues. Still showing signs of a bit of burning on some leaves. Now beginning to wonder if the nutes are to strong for her? Strawberry and Vixen are just rocking it without any issues I have seen, knock on wood. Cotton is still growing, just after a few days leaves may or may not show a bit of yellowing, some times from the edges, some times from the center. it is never the top most leaves, usually the oldest and next oldest. Anyhow, stressing too much wont do me any good either. Like I said, the other two look good. And the way all three are going, the final topping will occur Wednesday for all three.

You can see the leaf damage. I could not decide to remove or let it be for now. I removed it on day 22. Took both of these leaves off.
Cotton_-_Jan_21_Day_25_a.jpg

Cotton_-_Jan_21_Day_25_b.jpg

Cotton_-_Jan_23_Day_27_.jpg

Lots of new growth, just the leaves concern me after a week or so of them being out.
Cotton_-_Jan_24_Day_28_.jpg

So, after racking my brain over the leaf issues, I think I may have had it narrowed down for me. Had a plant expert take a peek at my setup, as well as the plants, go through the nutrients I have been giving, and generally reviewing everything. With her assistance and some more research, it appears to be to much nitrogen. Looking at my feeding schedule, she agrees it is definitely high. Funny that Strawberry and Vixen have shown no signs of problems. Next water change day ( tomorrow ), she will be having a 50% reduction in the Micro used by 50% and see how that helps. Fingers crossed as she is having no other issues.

More pics tomorrow.

As promised, 4 more days worth of photos. In some she looks a bit rough but it is the angle, I swear. Okay, she is a bit rough, but it appears the Nute Burn is subsiding and she is looking healthy on the tops. Oldest leaves, not so hot. I will post pics of Strawberry when I get a chance, she seems to be the big grower at the moment.

Cotton_-_Jan_25_Day_29_.jpg

Cotton_-_Jan_26_Day_30_.jpg

Cotton_-_Jan_27_Day_31_.jpg

Cotton_-_Jan_28_Day_32_.jpg

Okay, so ya, I am in no way the best at posting on a daily basis. But fear not, I have pictures from most days to share. Somehow, I actually didn't take photos for 2 days straight. Must have been sick :)

Day 33
Cotton_-_Jan_29_Day_33_.jpg

Day 36
Cotton_-_Feb_1_Day_35_.jpg

Day 37
Cotton_-_Feb_2_Day_36_.jpg

Day 38, Morning Shot
Cotton_-_Feb_3_Day_37_a.jpg

Day 38, Just putting everyone though an overnight FloraKleen before next Nute Cycle.
Cotton_-_Feb_3_Day_37_b.jpg

And a group photo of all 3 ladies in their glory.

From Left to Right, we have
Cotton Candy, Strawberry Cough, Early Vixen

All three ladies have been manifolded and have 8 nice crowns rising up for a total of 24 Nodes Of Love.

Feb_3_Day_37_Group_Photo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom