Spider mites 2 weeks from harvest

Took a bit of searching (hate doing this on a phone) but I found the data sheet from Dow. Without being on a full sized screen I can't sort this out but compare my strength and dilution ratio and you should be able to figure out yours:

Screenshot_20190123-000719.png

Took a bit of searching (hate doing this on a phone) but I found the data sheet from Dow. Without being on a full sized screen I can't sort this out but compare my strength and dilution ratio and you should be able to figure out yours:

Screenshot_20190123-000719.png

Thanks so much for the effort!! Much appreciated!!

Yours is 0.02% for 1 liter. Mine is 0.24 grams per liter. So your 0.02% works out to 0.2 grams per liter. So mine is slightly stronger, but not by much! So I think it's safe to say our dosage would be the same, or mine would be slightly weaker!

I'll check my instructions when the bottle gets here. How do you apply it? What dosage? And how do you apply it around buds? Do you avoid buds completely?

I'll check my instructions when the bottle gets here. How do you apply it? What dosage? And how do you apply it around buds? Do you avoid buds completely?
I'd go with the same dilution then (4 tbs/gallon - metric math is on you ;)).

You can use it up to harvest as long as you're bud washing. Someone once mentioned no more than 6x in a plant's life but I've never needed that many sprays. I spray mostly from the bottom up so the flowers don't get soaked, and the bugs live on the underside anyway.

I got a message once saying I should direct link to non-sponsors. These guys are not in the states, so I'm hoping I dont get too much grief. It's this: Garden Protection Archives - Efekto

Looking at the instructions.... try 2 tbs per gal water foiler on. If you need a conversion to metric let me know.

It's spinosad. Here in the US its very common and has been around a long time tried and tested.

It's not toxic to humans. The instructions are weird about that but use precautions you feel comfortable with.

I'd be OK spraying without any precautions and I'm still OK. Spinosad is a bacteria that is not toxic to humans only insects with exoskeleton.

Edit: Usual dose is 2-4 tbs per gal. I always err on the conservative side. You spray the whole plant top to btm and btm to top and repeat and get the walls floor and give the soil a light spray.

Foiler on - need to get a hand sprayer say a 2 gal sprayer with a hand pump. They are fairly cheap and last a while - fine mist. Mites live mostly on the under side of the leaves and in the flowers so spray accordingly. Flowers will not be affected the plant will actually feel better after a nice shower.

You can add in some kelp tea along with the spinosad to your sprayer (go light) and the plants will really perk up.

Looking at the instructions.... try 2 tbs per gal water foiler on. If you need a conversion to metric let me know.

It's spinosad. Here in the US its very common and has been around a long time tried and tested.

It's not toxic to humans. The instructions are weird about that but use precautions you feel comfortable with.

I'd be OK spraying without any precautions and I'm still OK. Spinosad is a bacteria that is not toxic to humans only insects with exoskeleton.

Edit: Usual dose is 2-4 tbs per gal. I always err on the conservative side. You spray the whole plant top to btm and btm to top and repeat and get the walls floor and give the soil a light spray.

Foiler on - need to get a hand sprayer say a 2 gal sprayer with a hand pump. They are fairly cheap and last a while - fine mist. Mites live mostly on the under side of the leaves and in the flowers so spray accordingly. Flowers will not be affected the plant will actually feel better after a nice shower.

You can add in some kelp tea along with the spinosad to your sprayer (go light) and the plants will really perk up.

I managed to find spinosad, but it's only getting here in a week. And the stupid mites are back! Probably because I freaked out and got rid of a lot of the DE. So I'm thinking, just for this next week, to:
a) Do another spray with isopropyl
b) Do another light spray with DE
c) Hope and pray the Spinosad gets here earlier.

I don't really know what else I can do. I wasn't expeting them back, but I guess I should have known better. Sounds like mites are just going to be part of my grow.

I did buy two companian plants (dill and rosemary) but I havent added them to the tents yet. Perhaps I'll do that today and see if it helps with keeping these sons of snitches off my plants!!

Also, slightly unrelated. I used silicone to block off a window and it left a horrible smell that took forever to go away. I need to seal something again, but dont want the smell. Is it okay to use something with the smell? Or is there perhaps a better sealant that is totally non-toxic?

Update:
a. There is a better sealant silicone, that's bad to breath in. The normal one isn't as bad, but doesn't seal as well. But the normal one works for me, so I just used that.
b. I sprayed spinosad. *crossing fingers*

Note: I also noticed HUGE flies, 2 of them, one stuck to my fly ribbon and the other chilling on a clone. Very bizarre. I added more fly ribbons just to be sure I'm not missing some weird fly attack coming my way.

do I then skip ISO and just do the Spinsoad until harvest?
Spinosad lasts a while so you can probably spray just this once if you're a week from harvest.
Update:
a. There is a better sealant silicone, that's bad to breath in. The normal one isn't as bad, but doesn't seal as well. But the normal one works for me, so I just used that.
b. I sprayed spinosad. *crossing fingers*
Note: I also noticed HUGE flies, 2 of them, one stuck to my fly ribbon and the other chilling on a clone. Very bizarre. I added more fly ribbons just to be sure I'm not missing some weird fly attack coming my way.
Regular house flies make no difference to your plants and other big ones rarely eat plants (unless you can find a pic of them on the internet to confirm).

I use regular latex caulk and it's non-toxic.

Spray the plants with Spinosad again tomorrow - every other day and be sure and get the undersides of ALL the leaves. Can spray until the day before harvest. Likely the mites have prolonged the eventual harvest day since the plant has diverted energy to fend them off.

Best to let the plant live out several days mite free before harvest.

Why are you saying harvest day in "2 weeks"?

I usually let the plant tell me she's done, I stopped using "time to harvest" from breeders descriptions as gospel and use it more as a guideline.

Post a few pics of your plants??

Spray the plants with Spinosad again tomorrow - every other day and be sure and get the undersides of ALL the leaves. Can spray until the day before harvest. Likely the mites have prolonged the eventual harvest day since the plant has diverted energy to fend them off.

Every 2nd day? Didn't know that! Glad I bought 3 tubs of Spinosad. I will do another spray today. And another in two days and keep at it til harvest time.

Why are you saying harvest day in "2 weeks"?

I usually let the plant tell me she's done, I stopped using "time to harvest" from breeders descriptions as gospel and use it more as a guideline.

The plants started flowering on 18 December. So it's almost 6 weeks. I heard that I can expect to wait 6 - 8 weeks of flowering. So that's why I'm estimating it should be ready sometime between 1 Feb and 14 Feb. I am using a Loupe to check the trichomes every day and won't cut it down til they are ready. But I'm really hoping it will be next week.

Post a few pics of your plants??

Will take a few up to date photos today and post them here!

Okay, so I literally can't believe it. I sprayed spinosad 3 days ago. No mites. I sprayed again yesterday. Today I have mites everywhere. The ISO seemed to have worked better than the Spinosad. Or maybe the mites didn't want to attack these photoperiods until they started blooming, which was a week ago.

So I'm thinking of doing an ISO wash again. Once the wash is done and the plants are dry, nuke it with spinosad again. Any other ideas? Maybe I should up my spinosad dosage? I was quite conservative. Maybe doubling it isn't the worst idea? And maybe also do a layer of DE?

(I'm also going to move some plants around, because I feel like two are a bit cramped, making it easier to miss problems)

Back
Top Bottom