Spider Mites Argh!

GreedyFly

420 Member
My first grow was going along my so well, 7 weeks into flower and I have buds, not huge but I have set reasonable expectations.

Yesterday found spider webs on my plant and went into panic. Read online that suggests that ladybugs are the safest solution over topical sprays that may alter product quality.

Believe it or not ladybugs are available on Amazon. Smallest quantity is 1500 bugs. I have a 32”x32” tent with just the solo plant. How many ladybugs will be needed to do the job? AND what can be done with the leftovers?

Thanks

Attachments

• 03AB2064-E18D-443C-87F5-8612A0449D9F.jpeg
    03AB2064-E18D-443C-87F5-8612A0449D9F.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 106
Ladybugs will not help you from your pictures you supplied. You must spray if you want to save those. Not being disrespectful, but you should pay closer attention to your plants if you want good results.
The mite damage on those plants didn't happen overnight. That's weeks of damage.
I fight mites constantly with beneficial predators. If you don't create a good regimen for your girls, your just going to be constantly frustrated.
It's ok, if you're organic or not, to use sprays. Azamax works very well.

When I can't afford predatory bugs, in flower I use flying skull one week, azamax the next week, and green clean for my 3rd week spray. I alternate each week to make sure mites are not becoming immune and becoming super bugs.

I would chop those girls and clean everything top to bottom (your room or what have you) and start over. This is a very good learning opportunity for anyone experiencing these types of issues.

Sincerely, I really hope you succeed. If you need any advice, I'd be glad to help and there are countless great growers here that will help also.
Good luck brother!

Ladybugs will not help you from your pictures you supplied. You must spray if you want to save those. Not being disrespectful, but you should pay closer attention to your plants if you want good results.
The mite damage on those plants didn't happen overnight. That's weeks of damage.
I fight mites constantly with beneficial predators. If you don't create a good regimen for your girls, your just going to be constantly frustrated.
It's ok, if you're organic or not, to use sprays. Azamax works very well.

When I can't afford predatory bugs, in flower I use flying skull one week, azamax the next week, and green clean for my 3rd week spray. I alternate each week to make sure mites are not becoming immune and becoming super bugs.

I would chop those girls and clean everything top to bottom (your room or what have you) and start over. This is a very good learning opportunity for anyone experiencing these types of issues.

Sincerely, I really hope you succeed. If you need any advice, I'd be glad to help and there are countless great growers here that will help also.
Good luck brother!

Thanks for the informative feedback. Will try Flying Skull first before abandoning altogether. Being first grow I’m learning on the fly, never thought bugs would be a problem. Will add ladybugs later for maintenance. Had to way over order having 1500 ladybugs on the way. Any estimate of how many i’d Need for a 3x3 tent with just one plant?

Thanks again. Live and learn.

Much thanks for the input. Gave it a generous spray with a 50% iso/ water mix. Got Flying Skull nuke me arriving tomorrow. Doing all I can. How do I know if it’s too late for this plant? Leaves still green, buds fattening up. Other than some webs I think it looks ok.

never too late,, perhaps make sure no other plants are getting infected,, if so, might need to decapitate

clean off the webs as best you can,, this close to finished, clear a messa garbage leaves as well,, this will open the plant up a bit for another iso alc spray,, or whatever you choose to do

then let er finish,, and enjoy

cheers agin

never too late,, perhaps make sure no other plants are getting infected,, if so, might need to decapitate

clean off the webs as best you can,, this close to finished, clear a messa garbage leaves as well,, this will open the plant up a bit for another iso alc spray,, or whatever you choose to do

then let er finish,, and enjoy

cheers agin

Thanks Nivek.
Only have a single plant in the tent, my first grow. Gave it a thorough spray with ISO mix this morning. Have Flying Skull nuke em coming tomorrow and will use it Alternating with ISO. Ladybugs won’t arrive for another 7-10 days. I’m guessing they’re flying en mass.

Pistels are about 1/3 colored, buds are finally fattening up, and plant top is frosty. SO, if I use all my sprays as best I can, I’m guessing a potential harvest could be in a few weeks, will the harvest still be usable? I do have a two clones and a seedling almost ready for the tent. I will do a full bleaching tent before next grow. If I need to I can abort current plant but would be disappointed. Live and learn.

Ladybugs was bad advice.
What your need for spider mites is Persimilis. Persimilis on bean leaves from the Canadian producer would be best. Persimilis never lose against a spider mite infestation, so long as there’s no pesticides being used. To prevent future spider mite outbreaks, put Stratiolaelaps in the soil and Fallacis on the plants. Most inexpensive option if you get them in early at propagation in low numbers. More expensive if you have to use them halfway through the grow to battle an established pest problem.
You can also push in bush bean seeds around the grow area and once they germinate and produce some leaves, spider mite and thrips prefer them over marijuana so they will actually migrate onto the beans and you can see their damage on the bean leaves within hours. Then you can rip the bean plant out, dispose, and push another seed in, effectively sponging them up and out of the grow room.

Ladybugs was bad advice.
What your need for spider mites is Persimilis. Persimilis on bean leaves from the Canadian producer would be best. Persimilis never lose against a spider mite infestation, so long as there’s no pesticides being used. To prevent future spider mite outbreaks, put Stratiolaelaps in the soil and Fallacis on the plants. Most inexpensive option if you get them in early at propagation in low numbers. More expensive if you have to use them halfway through the grow to battle an established pest problem.
You can also push in bush bean seeds around the grow area and once they germinate and produce some leaves, spider mite and thrips prefer them over marijuana so they will actually migrate onto the beans and you can see their damage on the bean leaves within hours. Then you can rip the bean plant out, dispose, and push another seed in, effectively sponging them up and out of the grow room.
The only reason for him to get ladybugs was that he had already ordered them. Predatory bugs ( mites) do the job but if you don't know where to get them, start the research to find a supplier. Plus they can be expensive and if your growing on a budget, no pun intended, it may be difficult. Read all of the back comments....

Yes,, lookin like the predatory mites take at least two applications, at about a hundred bucks a pop. More or less.

MMight be important to find a supplier that supplies only predators for spider mites, not a predator for other things, like some predator mites are. They have several different predators included for several different pests

SStill a work in progress, however, with winter coming and no threat of reintroducing the spider mites from outside sources right now,, i have gotten the buggers under a bit of control with the iso alcohol and water spray

DDIlligence,, and persistence, cheers

Don’t know where you’re looking but should have about $150 for the entire life of the plants. Usually works out less than spraying and you won’t have any chemicals on the crop.

Preventive maintenance is key.

I have garden clothes. no outdoor clothing anywhere near my grow. Checking plants is key. If you can find them right off you can cut off that area and hopefully continue.

I dont spray anything on plants in flower. I may use some stuff as a root drench and spray entire surrounding area but nothing on buds and late in flower for sure.

Frustrating for sure but if all your buds look like that then yes as someone said you need to scour that area and start over...

Good Luck

Peace

FE

Back
Top Bottom