Spitz Tries Purple Haze - Maui Waui - Panama & Wild Thai Under XML 650

Spitz

Hello peeps... I thought I'd take advantage of the cool CO winter to grow momma some plants for 2016.

Strains are listed in the title and all come from ACE
Maui and Haze are in Coco
Sensi PH perfect coco series nutrients

Panama and Thai are in Roots Organic 707
They'll more than likely receive coco DTW water later in flowering.

4x4 tent
Advanced LED XML 650
Temps are 60 low / 85 high
4" phresh filter and fan at 75%. My tent is in a 10x12 room and runs about 14* higher than room temp at lights on
I have a 6" quiet model and 6" filter I'll hook up soon to try and drop that differential.

I'll post some pics and give the history of the plants soon.

Shout with questions!

re: Spitz Tries Purple Haze, Maui Waui, Panama & Wild Thai Under XML 650

Here is a shot of the Maui (left) and Purple Haze (right... By default I guess). They were started around Nov 15th. I dropped 2 each regular seeds and ran them 12/12 from seed to show sex. They held out until right before Christmas and all 4 were girls. I scientifically selected (eenie, meenie, mighty, moe) 1 each to make the cut. They spent the next 10 days under 150w of t5HO lights until last week. I set the tent back up, hung the LED, and flipped the switch to 11/13. They were topped often to keep them as small as possible. This shot is from a few days ago. They are drinking and growing like mad right now.

image35770.jpg

Panama and Thai to follow.

All up in this one!
Looking wonderful so far!

A little bit about the light (Advanced LED XML650)...

First off, I have no affiliation with ALED whatsoever and paid full price (less a 10% seasonal discount). The light has 256 3W LEDs and 24 10W white XML LEDs. Draw wattage is listed at 618W. She measures 25x25 and lists 5x5 as the coverage area. I grew 8-10 plants from seed (for the most part) and will tell you this thing rocks a 4x4. If your interested in a complete journal, I closed this one a month ago or so: Spitz Tries His Hand At The Dr. & Some Fruit In Soil! Advanced lists the PAR data on their website. I have only found it for a 5x5 grid. If you dig around the web, you'll find it. It has independent intensity dials for the red/blue 3W and 10W whites. A neat function for seedlings. I really like turning off the Reds to inspect and photo.

The only real downside to this baby is heat. It's not hot to the touch, but, this 600W will warm up a room considerably. I think there are better price point lights out there. Still, if you drop $300 on a light, you can almost bet it's a "disposable" asset. She's been running for 6 months, let's hope she makes another 6!

Would I buy another one? Absolutely

Welcome everybody. Feel free to suggest, criticize, etc... along the ride. Trust me, you won't hurt my feelings. We've been battling cancer for a couple years now, We've gone through worse.

Just like before..
I promise I'll answer every question you ask
I promise to harvest too soon

Everything else is fair game.. Peace!

re: Spitz Tries Purple Haze - Maui Waui - Panama & Wild Thai Under XML 650

Good choice in lights but I do not know if I would call heat its down fall. All LED's produce heat, and more then advertised. A watt of power is a watt of power and it is not particular if it is LED or HID, when consumed, it produces heat.

I like what I see as far as shape and health.

I hope this is not to personal of a question but since you mentioned battling cancer for a couple of years now, what type of cancer?

Your tent temp delta us a bit high might want to go 6" exhausted. I'm running 1000w HPS in 4x4 tent and my thermostat keeps it at whatever temp the room is at if needed. I kept it at 72-75f at will with no ac. Here in OR, the room the tent is in rarely gets to 70, w/o heat on it won't break 60f. I tried to see how low it would stay and if I leave extraction fan on it will drop to room temp with light on. I'm using 490cfm 6", VT fan. Filter in tent, hung, ducted out window. Bare bulb in center on 19" gull wing reflecter, 6" fan aimed up at bulb on with light. Passive intake when extraction fan runs through tent flaps. Nice looking plants otherwise. Keep a Dan aimed at your light to keep heat up top of tent and filter will pull it out.

800w HPS 1st grow. Millertm's - Girl Scout/Cinex - Grow Journal - 4'x4'x6.8' Tent - 2015

Good choice in lights but I do not know if I would call heat its down fall. All LED's produce heat, and more then advertised. A watt of power is a watt of power and it is not particular if it is LED or HID, when consumed, it produces heat.

I like what I see as far as shape and health.

I hope this is not to personal of a question but since you mentioned battling cancer for a couple of years now, what type of cancer?

You're absolutely right sir. Let me rephrase... At, 618W of LED draw, you can expect significant heat to dissipate. I feel my light is close to a 1000w HID replacement. IMO, it would be easier to control temps (tent) with a 1000W HID and cool tube than the 600w LED. Now the extreme plus side, although warm, I have no fear of burning down my home. That, to me, is priceless.

Breast cancer... Found this site while researching all our options. I grow for my wife. We're currently on the right side of the battle. Still, many long talks at night, moments of vulnerability, and seeing her reflection in the mirror are constant reminders of our mortality and just how close we are to losing everything we cherish. On the record.. She's a medical patient dealing with cancer. Off the record... MMJ has directly replaced antidepressants and given us back our wife, mother, and friend. As for me, I don't touch the stuff. I'd sure love to, but have far too much to lose. Somebody has to play the anchor roll. That being said, I think I enjoy growing plants more than consuming them. I'm not a big tomato eater but growing them is my passion. Sorry for the "mush"

Your tent temp delta us a bit high might want to go 6" exhausted. I'm running 1000w HPS in 4x4 tent and my thermostat keeps it at whatever temp the room is at if needed. I kept it at 72-75f at will with no ac. Here in OR, the room the tent is in rarely gets to 70, w/o heat on it won't break 60f. I tried to see how low it would stay and if I leave extraction fan on it will drop to room temp with light on. I'm using 490cfm 6", VT fan. Filter in tent, hung, ducted out window. Bare bulb in center on 19" gull wing reflecter, 6" fan aimed up at bulb on with light. Passive intake when extraction fan runs through tent flaps. Nice looking plants otherwise. Keep a Dan aimed at your light to keep heat up top of tent and filter will pull it out.

800w HPS 1st grow. Millertm's - Girl Scout/Cinex - Grow Journal - 4'x4'x6.8' Tent - 2015

Your also right... My plan is to run a 6" filter exhaust during lights on only to help drop my 14* delta temps. I just picked up a silent 6" fan and hope to hook it up soon. I'll leave the 4" on 24/7 for exchange. I'm definitely not in a "stealth" mode, I just don't really care to hear jet airplanes in the next room. i have access to bedrooms with multiple windows, window fans, thermostat dials, 30* outside air... If I can't pull this off, it's my own fault! Thanks for the suggestion.

I figured I'd better show you the 2 small ones in fear that one of them doesn't make it. The first one is the panama. She started life in a 20oz cup. She never looked happy. I transplanted a few days ago and the roots filled the cup. I'll give her a couple of days and see if she turns around.

image35777.jpg

Next up is the Wild Thai. She is under the big light and will continue 11/13. I will continue to top until I see flowering start. She was in a similar spot to the Panam but looks to have perked up a bit.

image35778.jpg

And last up... A parting shot of the Maui (left) and Purple Haze. I'm heading out of town and will update next weekend.

You're absolutely right sir. Let me rephrase... At, 618W of LED draw, you can expect significant heat to dissipate. I feel my light is close to a 1000w HID replacement. IMO, it would be easier to control temps (tent) with a 1000W HID and cool tube than the 600w LED. Now the extreme plus side, although warm, I have no fear of burning down my home. That, to me, is priceless.

Breast cancer... Found this site while researching all our options. I grow for my wife. We're currently on the right side of the battle. Still, many long talks at night, moments of vulnerability, and seeing her reflection in the mirror are constant reminders of our mortality and just how close we are to losing everything we cherish. On the record.. She's a medical patient dealing with cancer. Off the record... MMJ has directly replaced antidepressants and given us back our wife, mother, and friend. As for me, I don't touch the stuff. I'd sure love to, but have far too much to lose. Somebody has to play the anchor roll. That being said, I think I enjoy growing plants more than consuming them. I'm not a big tomato eater but growing them is my passion. Sorry for the "mush"

Being an electrician, just because the temp on the bulb is not as hot with LED as with HIDs do not think for one second that you are now immune to fire because you have LEDs. LEDs can burn homes down just as easily as HID's if you do not follow a few safety rules.
Are they safer, I would say yes, are they totally fire proof, not hardly. Always be safe.

I am glad to hear your wife is on the right side of this battle. Like yourself I do not touch the stuff though would love to but I have different reasons for not partaking.
Glad to hear you and your wife are spending time together communicating. As for mush, there is only one mush I will not tolerate, and that is Tomato Mush :high-five:

The mushy stuff is what makes the 420magazine community unique. I also stumbled across the site looking for information as to the benefits of mmj against brain tumors.

Back
Top Bottom