Mr. Krip

Product Reviewer
420 Staff
Welcome, everyone, to my new journal, and apologies for the slight delay in getting this started as we were finalizing all the details.

As the title says, this is a sponsored grow featuring the Kind K5 XL1000 LED grow light, and growing Bubba Hash and Orient Express by Ace Seeds in Doc Bud's High Brix Kit soil.

Let's start with some preliminaries on the grow light and we can get into some more detail in future posts.

THE LIGHT

When I was first asked to do a grow with the XL1000, I didn't know anything about the light and was a little bit hesitant since I'm happy with my current lighting setup, which consists of just over 900w of LED's and I saw that the XL1000 was only pulling about 630w from the wall. The last thing I wanted to do was to mess up a harvest by using an inferior light and was very reluctant to reduce actual wattage.

I've grown with LED's exclusively for close to ten years and am fairly knowledgeable on the subject. As I did a little bit of research on this light, I found it had several featured I was very anxious to try.

The XL1000 won the High Times Gear of the Year Award for four consecutive years from 2014-2017, and it won the High Times STASH (Significant Technology Achievement In Secretive Horticulture) Award in 2017 for "Best LED Innovation". So, right away I figured it had to be a decent light.

When I saw the list of features this light has, I was truly impressed and understood why that had won all those awards!

I'll cover these features in detail in a future post, but let's start with what really attracted my interest in this grow light.

The feature I'm most anxious to "play" with is what Kind calls their "Mother Earth Timing Function". The XL1000 has a 12-band full spectrum, including both UV & IR, split into three channels/banks, that can be individually controlled from 0-100% intensity on a built-in timer, which allows the spectrum to be customized based on the plants specific growth stage.

This allows the ability to mimic the actual sun by "waking" the plants up in the morning with gradually increasing light intensity, and then gradually putting them to sleep at night with gradually decreasing light intensity.

The XL1000 has a mix of 3w and 5w chips and each LED has a secondary lens to increase canopy penetration. And, it's a big light! This sucker is 26" x 20" amd weighs in at a whopping 36 lbs, so it's not for an unsturdy tent. It is, however, big enough to cover a 5' x 5' tent for veg and a 4' x 4' for flower.

All the functions can be controlled and programmed with an included remote, which I've already found to be a VERY nice feature!

The last feature that really attracted my interest in this light is that is uses "Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Dimming". With most grow lights, when you're not running at full light intensity, the light is still drawing full power from the wall. With the PWM, when you run the light at lower intensity, the light is actually drawing less power from the wall.

So, when you consider the ability to use lower intensity on seedlings, clones and young plants; and use increasing/decreasing intensity to wake the plants and put them back to sleep; plus the efficiency of the secondary lens, I think this light should be able to perform as well as (or, maybe better than?) my current setup AND at a pretty significantly reduced cost of electricity.

Here is a good video overview of the Kind K5 XL1000:

THE STRAINS

While I wasn't planning on running Bubba Hash until the next round, since Ace Seeds is also a sponsor, I thought it would be good to include them in this sponsored journal.

Ace is truly one of the top breeders in the industry and are dedicated to preserving and breeding pure landrace strains. While they are probably best known for some of the most powerful and pure Sativas on the market such as Panama & Malawi (both of which I plan on growing soon, along with their Purple Haze x Malawi cross - all of for which I already have seeds!), since I was starting this round with seedlings instead of established plants almost ready to flip (as I usually do), I opted for the shorter flowering times of Indicas for this round! ;)

So, on March 1st, I started soaking three Ace Bubba Hash seeds and three Ace Orient Express seeds, all feminized, planted them after about a 12-hour soak, and within a few days I had six new babies for a 100% germination rate!

Orient Express is an 60% Sativa/40% Indica F1 hybrid cross of China Yunan x Vietnam Black with reported 16% THC. Ace does claim that Orient Express is one of its most popular varieties providing a "warm, clean and pleasant sativa effect without paranoia or anxiety."

While I had no immediate plans to run Orient Express and there are several other Ace strains I was looking forward to running first, I picked the Orient Express because it has a similar finish time to the Bubba Hash of 8-10 weeks.

The Bubba Hash I was planning on running next round anyways, so I'm just starting them a little early and I'm hoping to find a keeper from one of the three plants. The Bubba Hash is a 90% Indica cross between Bubba Kush and the 90's hash plant. It's supposed to be very good for treating pain, anxiety, and insomnia; and, in fact, the Bubba Hash was recommended to my by Brother Neikodog as a potential strain to help treat my Dad's pain which is why it was already planned! It has an estimated finish time of 8-9 weeks.

THE SOIL MIX

Two Bubba Hash and two Orient Express will be grown in #10's and a 3rd Bubba Hash will be in a SIP that's about the equivalent of a #5, for a total of five plants to be flowered. Currently, all five are in #1's vegging for a few more weeks before up-potting. The plants are being grown using Doc Bud's High Brix Kit in 2nd run soil and there is some great microbial activity going on so, hopefully, we can really push these plants to their potential!

More details on all the gear and lots of pics to follow. Feel free to ask any questions along the way and I'll do my best to answer them.

Happy Harvests!

K

SETTING UP THE K5 XL1000 GROW LIGHT

I had hoped to provide you all with some great unboxing pics but, as it turns out, this light was shipped to me by another grower. It was shipped in the original box which was heavily wrapped in tape and got quite beat up during shipping, to the point I was genuinely concerned about the possible condition of the light. Additionally, it came with no instruction manual and missing two of the four wire hangers that are included with the light.

I'll post some pics of the light soon, but here's a good graphic with some quick spec's:

oads%2F2015%2F01%2FKind-K5-XL1000-LED-Grow-Light-4.jpg

That being said, I was very happy to discover that the light comes fully encased in molded Styrofoam, so despite the rough shipping conditions, there was no damage to the unit, at all. And, I have plenty of extra hanging materials on-hand, so getting it hung in the tent was easy; and, because the unit is heavy, I used heavy duty ratchet hangers with two doubled-up wire hangers on each corner of the light, and some metal locking rings and heavy duty caribeeners as a precaution.

The last thing I want is to have a hanger fail and have this beast of a light crashing down on my plants! :rofl:

Even with no instruction manual, setting the time and adjusting the intensity of the three light banks was simple. Trying to program the light timers, on the other hand, was a whole other story!

Once I realized I just wasn't going to get this light programmed on my own, I did a quick web search and, not only did I find a copy of the manual, but Kind also has a GREAT video on how to program the light with the remote.

By the time I got two thirds of the way through the video, I understood exactly what needed to be done and got the light programmed in less than ten minutes.

As a pretty technical guy, I suggest you don't even try to program the light without watching this video! The video makes it easy!:

That being said, if your digital clock is still blinking 12:00 from the last time you lost power, this may not be the light for you! :rofl:

As mentioned in the previous post, the XL1000 has a 12 band spectrum, including UV and IR, that are split across three channels (A, B & C). The A channel controls the diodes in the red spectrum, the B channel controls the blue spectrum, and the C channel controls the white spectrum plus the UV & IR.

Each of these channels can be programmed individually for up to eight different time slots, each.

So, for example, you can have the A channel (reds) come on a 10:00 am at 50% power, increase to 75% power at 10:30 am , increase to 100% at 11:00am, etc. And, you can program the B & C channels the same way, at the same or different times and intensities.

Many of you know I typically like to veg under 24/0, however, to really test the functions of this light, I'm currently vegging under a 20/4 schedule that works like this:

8:00am - All channels turn on at 50% power
8:15am - A channel increases to 60%, B & C channels increase to 75%
8:30am - A channel increases to 80%, B & C channels increase to 100%
3:30am - A channel decreases to 60%, B & C channels decrease to 75%
3:45am - All channels decrease to 50% power
4:00am - All channels turn off

So, essentially, I'm giving the plants a half hour sunrise period from 8:00am - 8:30am; and then giving a half hour sunset period from 3:30am-4:00am. I'm using less reds since the reds aren't needed by the plant as much in veg. I'll increase the reds once I switch to flower and, late in flower, I'll cut back on the blues at little bit.

I could probably cut the intensities on all channels another 20%, or so, in veg to get some additional savings on electric, but for now, playing with the higher intensities and the distance the light needs to be from the canopy, which appears to be at least 18" with the current settings to avoid signs of stress.

While I don't think I'll test it on this grow, one of the things that really intrigues me with the ability to program these sunrise/sunset periods is the possibility to give MORE light during flower. For example, if instead of 12/12 I ran 13/11 but the extra hour of light was the two half hour sunrise/sunset periods, I'm thinking the plants would get an extra hour of light per day and possibly/hopefully not hermie or stay in veg.

This would also be a great light for anyone running the GLR (Gas Lantern Routine) as the schedule could easily be programmed.

One feature of the XL1000 I'm not that impressed with at first impression is that in addition to the clock, which is needed for the timer, the light allows you to switch between the time and temperature. Unless I'm really missing something, I just don't see how this temp setting is useful.

First of all, the temperature is displayed in Celsius only (again, unless I'm missing something!) and I'm really a Farenheight type of guy! :laugh: But, more importantly, the temperature gives a readout of the light's operating temperature and NOT the temperature of the grow room. So, when I converted the temp from C to F, it came in at something like 111* F! :thedoubletake:

The only temp I'm really interested in monitoring is the temp of the grow room and I never thought I'd be able to replace the growroom thermometer with the thermometer on the light since the light doesn't give the RH reading. But, unless you're interested in monitoring the operating temperature of the light, which, I guess, could possibly indicate if a fan dies, or something; I just don't find the temp reading useful.

I should point out that, even though the operating temp of the light was at 111* F, the XL1000 has extra large heat syncs and eight fairly quiet cooling fans, so it really doesn't raise the temps in the tent much. The new Cloudline fan that is running about 100 CFM less than the last fan is having no problems cooling BOTH the 4' x 4' main tent AND the 2' x 3' veg tent running at only 70% power!

With the extra-quiet exhaust fan and the quiet cooling fans on the light, the noise level has decreased significantly, which is great considering the main tent is located right in my bedroom!

Happy Harvests!

K

UPDATE ON THE PLANTS

Now the we have all the introductory stuff out of the way, let's take a look at the plants....

I started soaking three Ace Bubba Hash and three Ace Orient Express seeds on March 1st and, within a few days, had a 100% germination rate.

Since I only flower five plants at-a-time in the 4' x 4' tent, only two of the OE's will be flowered.

Here's a pic of a few of them right around March 16th, or about two week above ground:

full

Here they are after being transplanted to 1 gallon containers on March 24th. The BBH's are on the left (front & back) and in the center and the two OE's are front & back right:

full

They all, except for the center BBH, received an "Uncle Ben's Topping", which is a technique of topping the plant to get four primary colas. I miscounted the nodes on that center one by mistake and she got topped one node higher, so it's just a regular topping on her and not actually a UBT.

Here they are on April 3rd after the tops have had a chance to grow out:

full

And, here they are yesterday with a couple more weeks of vegging before they get up-pot to their final containers, which will all be #10's except for the center BBH which will be in a SIP that's about the equivalent of a #5.

They're all doing great and loving the second round high brix soil, so far! I'm estimating a flip right around the first week in May depending on how fast they veg over the next few weeks.

Happy Harvests!

K

I seriously considered this light, but just couldn't afford it. It did, and still has good reviews.

It's definitely not one of those "cheap" LED's but it does have features you just don't find in ANY other light (that I've seen!) even in it's price range. Assuming the light performs well, all those extra features will be great and I'd hate to see those features on a poor performing light. ;)

I can see even better price justification for a grower that is using a single light for both veg and flower (a non-perpetual in a single tent). So, instead of having to purchase two lights, you can have a good flower light that also can run at lower power/costs for veg. :Namaste:

It's definitely not one of those "cheap" LED's but it does have features you just don't find in ANY other light (that I've seen!) even in it's price range. Assuming the light performs well, all those extra features will be great and I'd hate to see those features on a poor performing light. ;)

I can see even better price justification for a grower that is using a single light for both veg and flower (a non-perpetual in a single tent). So, instead of having to purchase two lights, you can have a good flower light that also can run at lower power/costs for veg. :Namaste:

I completely agree. I'm on a pension, so all I could scrape together was the half cost of that light - for everything I needed to get started. I (my wife has her needs too) We need to win the lottery. :rofl:

I completely agree. I'm on a pension, so all I could scrape together was the half cost of that light - for everything I needed to get started. I (my wife has her needs too) We need to win the lottery. :rofl:
I understand that 420%, Brother! :high-five:
It's probably not the light I'd recommend anyone start with who was operating on a limited budget, simply because of the cost.

The question we're all here to answer is, "how does it perform?" and if it does perform well, it may be worth it, for some growers, to either begin with or upgrade to, depending on personal budgets, space, electric costs, etc.

If it doesn't perform, I likely wouldn't recommend it at any budget. ;)

SETTING UP THE K5 XL1000 GROW LIGHT

I had hoped to provide you all with some great unboxing pics but, as it turns out, this light was shipped to me by another grower. It was shipped in the original box which was heavily wrapped in tape and got quite beat up during shipping, to the point I was genuinely concerned about the possible condition of the light. Additionally, it came with no instruction manual and missing two of the four wire hangers that are included with the light.

I'll post some pics of the light soon, but here's a good graphic with some quick spec's:

oads%2F2015%2F01%2FKind-K5-XL1000-LED-Grow-Light-4.jpg

That being said, I was very happy to discover that the light comes fully encased in molded Styrofoam, so despite the rough shipping conditions, there was no damage to the unit, at all. And, I have plenty of extra hanging materials on-hand, so getting it hung in the tent was easy; and, because the unit is heavy, I used heavy duty ratchet hangers with two doubled-up wire hangers on each corner of the light, and some metal locking rings and heavy duty caribeeners as a precaution.

The last thing I want is to have a hanger fail and have this beast of a light crashing down on my plants! :rofl:

Even with no instruction manual, setting the time and adjusting the intensity of the three light banks was simple. Trying to program the light timers, on the other hand, was a whole other story!

Once I realized I just wasn't going to get this light programmed on my own, I did a quick web search and, not only did I find a copy of the manual, but Kind also has a GREAT video on how to program the light with the remote.

By the time I got two thirds of the way through the video, I understood exactly what needed to be done and got the light programmed in less than ten minutes.

As a pretty technical guy and I suggest you don't even try to program the light without watching this video! The video makes it easy!:

That being said, if your digital clock is still blinking 12:00 from the last time you lost power, this may not be the light for you! :rofl:

As mentioned in the previous post, the XL1000 has a 12 band spectrum, including UV and IR, that are split across three channels (A, B & C). The A channel controls the diodes in the red spectrum, the B channel controls the blue spectrum, and the C channel controls the white spectrum plus the UV & IR.

Each of these channels can be programmed individually for up to eight different time slots, each.

So, for example, you can have the A channel (reds) come on a 10:00 am at 50% power, increase to 75% power at 10:30 am , increase to 100% at 11:00am, etc. And, you can program the B & C channels the same way, at the same or different times and intensities.

Many of you know I typically like to veg under 24/0, however, to really test the functions of this light, I'm currently vegging under a 20/4 schedule that works like this:

8:00am - All channels turn on at 50% power
8:15am - A channel increases to 60%, B & C channels increase to 75%
8:30am - A channel increases to 80%, B & C channels increase to 100%
3:30am - A channel decreases to 60%, B & C channels decrease to 75%
3:45am - All channels decrease to 50% power
4:00am - All channels turn off

So, essentially, I'm giving the plants a half hour sunrise period from 8:00am - 8:30am; and then giving a half hour sunset period from 3:30am-4:00am. I'm using less reds since the reds aren't needed by the plant as much in veg. I'll increase the reds once I switch to flower and, late in flower, I'll cut back on the blues at little bit.

I could probably cut the intensities on all channels another 20%, or so, in veg to get some additional savings on electric, but for now, playing with the higher intensities and the distance the light needs to be from the canopy, which appears to be at least 18" with the current settings to avoid signs of stress.

While I don't think I'll test it on this grow, one of the things that really intrigues me with the ability to program these sunrise/sunset periods is the possibility to give MORE light during flower. For example, if instead of 12/12 I ran 13/11 but the extra hour of light was the two half hour sunrise/sunset periods, I'm thinking the plants would get an extra hour of light per day and possibly/hopefully not hermie or stay in veg.

This would also be a great light for anyone running the GLR (Gas Lantern Routine) as the schedule could easily be programmed.

One feature of the XL1000 I'm not that impressed with at first impression is that in addition to the clock, which is needed for the timer, the light allows you to switch between the time and temperature. Unless I'm really missing something, I just don't see how this temp setting is useful.

First of all, the temperature is displayed in Celsius only (again, unless I'm missing something!) and I'm really a Farenheight type of guy! But, more importantly, the temperature gives a readout of the light's operating temperature and NOT the temperature of the grow room. So, when I converted the temp from C to F, it came in at something like 111* F!

The only temp I'm really interested in monitoring is the temp of the grow room and I never thought I'd be able to replace the growroom thermometer with the thermometer on the light since the light doesn't give the RH reading. But, unless you're interested in monitoring the operating temperature of the light, which, I guess, could possibly indicate if a fan dies, or something; I just don't find the temp reading useful.

I should point out that, even though the operating temp of the light was at 111* F, the XL1000 has extra large heat syncs and eight fairly quiet cooling fans, so it really doesn't raise the temps in the tent much. The new Cloudline fan that is running about 100 CFM less than the last fan is having no problems cooling BOTH the 4' x 4' main tent AND the 2' x 3' veg tent running at only 70% power!

With the extra-quiet exhaust fan and the quiet cooling fans on the light, the noise level has decreased significantly, which is great considering the main tent is located right in my bedroom!

Happy Harvests!

K

Dam brother great looking light this grow is guna be bitchn for real. I cant wait to see the girls in action under this bad boy. An congrats on the light sponsor this seems like a major win. Good luck bro off to finish catchn up lol.

I'm on board! This light was on my list, while I was researching LEDs.

Can you post a pic of "actual watts" for us?

Plus, Doc Buds Hi-Brix is on my agenda for this summer as well.

I’m in for the ride Krip! Great intro to the light and great videos! Best of luck with the light. They picked a great guy to give us an unbiased look at the light and make it fun along the way! :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom