Spontaneous reveg at 6 weeks into flower?

I left my girls on vacation for 8 days. When I got back, there were more trichomes and little leaf hats growing out of my highest buds.

4x8' room in basement. 6" inch can fan exhausts hot air from the room through dual 600w HPS hoods. Intake air 60F.
Plants grown in Clackamus Coot style living soil, no liquid nutrients ever - water and soil only.
Vegged in 1 gallon plastic, then 10 gallon fabric pots under 16/8 T5 CFL.
Currently 45 days since 12/12 and pistils showing.
Water in perlite filled floor reservoir (SWICK) absorbed by plants as needed - about 4 gallons per day for the whole flowering room.

When I left on vacation 24-hr room temps 76-82F, 55-68% RH. Buds were stacking but not foxtailing.
When I returned yesterday temps 84-88F, 40-45%RH. Water reservoir was dry, new bud 'hats' as pictured below.

What is going on?
Are my buds in danger?

This is mystery breeder free seed 'Giselle', about 35" tall in half of 4x8' room. Bottom of temp sensor is 18" below 600w HPS lamp.

20150626_144713-1.jpg

Buds with newly grown leaf hats - 45 days into flower.

20150626_144650-1.jpg

20150626_144645-1.jpg

20150626_144638-1.jpg

This is a bud of Hawaiian Skunk 'Hani' nearby, same 45 days since switch to 12/12. Frostier since week 2 in flower.

20150626_144628-1.jpg

This is only my second grow. Any idea what is going on here, and what to do?

Hello Radogast, sorry I'm not going to be of much help to you as I'm a new grower but just thought I'd ask a (probably) sill question as it occurred to me. Have you checked that the timer is turning off? Only I had one that stopped turning off and 24 hours of light might cause them to reveg. Sorry if this doesn't help and I hope you find an answer soon. All the best :thumb:

Temps & RH are good. I'm just giving a hypothesis here but it could be that the healthier Hawaiian Skunk drinks more aggressively than the Mystery Plant. If they're drawing from the same water supply, after it was dry the HS had plenty of reserve in it's leafs while the mystery plant was already low; this could explain the dramatic difference between the 2 depending on how long it was dry. (Under-Watered)

Or it could be that the Mystery Plant just has bad genetics.

About the odd leafs at the top, most strains I've dealt with start reverting back to 3 & single fingered leafs at the top of buds right before swelling.

Or a light issue. :cheesygrinsmiley: (Kriaze, Gray)

hey man try to cut your light down from 12 hours to 11 or even 10! and have you ever grown this strain before? if this doesnt work its most likely a light leak or nute mix up? hope this could help

Hello Radogast!
I´m sorry I can´t add much to the answers offered above.
You mentioned that you were out for a week right?
Are power blackouts common in your area? I´ve seen that interrupting the light cycle for a whole day has weird effects on plants. It happened to me that during flowering, there was a major power blackout that lasted nearly 16 hrs (due to repairs in the grid because of a storm) and my plants begun to grow in weird ways.
Just throwing another option for you to consider.
I hope you get a better answer soon.
Regards!

Hello Radogast, sorry I'm not going to be of much help to you as I'm a new grower but just thought I'd ask a (probably) sill question as it occurred to me. Have you checked that the timer is turning off? Only I had one that stopped turning off and 24 hours of light might cause them to reveg. Sorry if this doesn't help and I hope you find an answer soon. All the best :thumb:

Kriaze, thanks for commenting. It's part of the process. I'll definitely check that lights out happens at light's out time tonight

Graytail, not much chance of a light leak. The basement is gloomy outside the flower room at high noon with the basement lights on. The walls are taped and light baffled with an inner layer of panda plastic. The door is foam sealed, light baffled, and has an inner blackout curtain. I made some light gaps in the panda layer before they went into flower this grow, but I also sat in the dark afterwards and looked for leaks. It's a pretty light tight room :)

Temps & RH are good. I'm just giving a hypothesis here but it could be that the healthier Hawaiian Skunk drinks more aggressively than the Mystery Plant. If they're drawing from the same water supply, after it was dry the HS had plenty of reserve in it's leafs while the mystery plant was already low; this could explain the dramatic difference between the 2 depending on how long it was dry. (Under-Watered)

Or it could be that the Mystery Plant just has bad genetics.

About the odd leafs at the top, most strains I've dealt with start reverting back to 3 & single fingered leafs at the top of buds right before swelling.

As far as leaf yellowing, I'm pretty sure the mystery plant DOES have those genetics. The White Widow and Caramelicious from the same breeder did the same early leaf yellowing when grown with nutes and soilless mix.

My BIG concern was the odd leaves emerging from the bud tops. I didn't expect ANY new leaves up there. It is about time for bud swelling, so..
I have no concerns! If those top leaves are OK, I'm happy with these buds :)
:party::yahoo::surf::party:

Hello Radogast!
I´m sorry I can´t add much to the answers offered above.
You mentioned that you were out for a week right?
Are power blackouts common in your area? I´ve seen that interrupting the light cycle for a whole day has weird effects on plants. It happened to me that during flowering, there was a major power blackout that lasted nearly 16 hrs (due to repairs in the grid because of a storm) and my plants begun to grow in weird ways.
Just throwing another option for you to consider.
I hope you get a better answer soon.
Regards!

No blackouts while I was gone on vacation. About 12? days ago, before I left, I turned the lights off for a photo and left them off rather than on the timer, creating a single 4 hour day in a string of 12 hour days. That was a pretty messed up thing to do to them :)

Anyway I've found light leaks to be highly over-rated as a cause of plants acting up. I leave the top of our Veg and our Bloom Tents cracked open because until lately we didn't have inline fans for intake & exhaust. I still do and have never had a problem with hermies. As long as it's the same leak at the same time all the time it's irrelevant. Now if you're dealing with different stray light everyday that's a whole new ballgame.

Look at it like this; outdoor plants are never in complete darkness (street lights, house lights, moon light, etc.) but yet they don't act up. Back when DonPaul was still around we had a long discussion on this subject. He was the King of experiments. Also Relaxed Lester (now known as Lester Freeman) now agrees with this.

Anyway I've found light leaks to be highly over-rated as a cause of plants acting up. I leave the top of our Veg and our Bloom Tents cracked open because until lately we didn't have inline fans for intake & exhaust. I still do and have never had a problem with hermies. As long as it's the same leak at the same time all the time it's irrelevant. Now if you're dealing with different stray light everyday that's a whole new ballgame.

Look at it like this; outdoor plants are never in complete darkness (street lights, house lights, moon light, etc.) but yet they don't act up. Back when DonPaul was still around we had a long discussion on this subject. He was the King of experiments. Also Relaxed Lester (now known as Lester Freeman) agrees with this.

I agree with what you say here. I remember a similar discussion from Relaxed Lester days :)

When I first got here, It was drummed into me, no light leaks, no light leaks, so I built a highly light resistant room.

Then folks talked about the gaslight method, CO2, hydro, and a host of other things - meanwhile I just tried to get the plants to grow and flower :)
This harvest is schedued for a year after my first harvest. The thought of losing it had me very worried.

Thanks so much for the reassurance. A harbinger of bud swelling sounds a lot better than 'harvest early before it hermies' :)
+reps

No idea how or why, but it sure looks like light stress from a (temporary) change in the photoperiod. Hopefully it is very temporary and they jump back on track.
Best of luck!!

So there you have it Radogast. Isn't this site great?

Radogast,
Have you checked the pH of your soil and water?
I have seen a similar looking problem once and it turned out the pH of both were not optimal for the Flower cycle after a dry stress period.
:420:

Radogast,
Have you checked the pH of your soil and water?
I have seen a similar looking problem once and it turned out the pH of both were not optimal for the Flower cycle after a dry stress period.
:420:

I've been running PH close to 6.4 all grow.
Lately I have replaced PHDown with lime juice.
However,
In the last water before this happened, I accidentally measured 3.5ml orange juice into each 5 gal bucket instead of lime juice.

These leaves may be the result of a sugar high :)

For now, I'm doing well. The leaves aren't changing much and the buds are thickening .

I like thickening buds :)

Back
Top Bottom