Spot the Rot - Can you help me save my first harvest in 12 years?

Ravyn

Hey folks. First post after lurking and learning for the past year. This is my first run in 12 years and I am getting down to the short strokes. Hope to harvest in the next week or two but might have to chop early as I believe I found a bit of bud rot on one cola today.

Here are the details:

Strain — Early Vixen — NL x Skunk x Haze
# of Plants — 5
Grow Type — 3 gallon Coco Hempy Buckets
Grow Stage — Flower 10 weeks (*)
Light — Mars II 1200 plus 3 x 30 watt T5 UVB Reptile side lights
Nutes — GH Micro/Bloom plus KoolBloom, Molasses, Silicate, Hygrozyme and SM90
Medium — CannaCoco plus 2" hydroton on bottom and 1" hydroton on top
PPM — 550 (dwindling down now)
PH — 5.8
RH — 45% to 65% (usually 60+)
Temp — 75-78 F
Room Size - 5'x5'
Pests — Thrips

Problem — Suspected Bud Rot. Yellowing, dying leaves 3 inches from top of main cola. Plants have been in 12/12 for 10 weeks but had cycle interference from 10 straight days of 24 hour lights on at 5 weeks in. 15 main colas fattening up but no amber trichs yet. I have cut the affected cola and removed it from room. A dehuey got moved in and is running at 40% RH and circulation fans have been cranked to max. I plan to monitor remaining ladies and hope to delay harvest for at least a week if not two while they finish ripening. Is this a safe plan? Or should I chop early and get these babies drying to be on the safe side?

Here are a couple pics of the cola after trimming. Should I finish breaking it down to check the main stem?

Thanks for any advice or tips. :thanks:

usually the first signs of bud rot is the wilting or withering of a sugar leaf....if you pluck it and the stem comes with it, it is wet and brown looking.

Open up the cola, bud site and look at the back of the bud against the stem.....it will be moist, and rotten, easy to identify.

Its easy to trim out at harvest or even while still on the plant, but if not caught early, it can spread to the entire cola in a few days.

usually the first signs of bud rot is the wilting or withering of a sugar leaf....if you pluck it and the stem comes with it, it is wet and brown looking.

Open up the cola, bud site and look at the back of the bud against the stem.....it will be moist, and rotten, easy to identify.

Its easy to trim out at harvest or even while still on the plant, but if not caught early, it can spread to the entire cola in a few days.

Thanks for the tip. Gonna break the cola apart this morning and take a look along the stem. The dying leaves I plucked did pull out quite easily. Will the rot keep spreading in this top I already picked? Will breaking it down into smaller pieces head that off? If I see anything nasty, I will cut it out and toss it entirely. I plan on following the techniques from the Bud Washing thread to clean the harvest. Gonna chop, trim wet, do a 4-bucket wash, (H202, Citric+Soda, Rinse, Rinse) and then hang back in the bloom room with no lights and dehuey running at 40%. Temp at 70 F.
From the closeup shots, would your guess on prime time to harvest be about a week out? Two weeks?

Pull the nug slightly to expose the inside rot....if you see it cut the nug away...most likely it will have spread to the 1 or 2 buds touching it....cut it all out.

The area will scar but it will head off further rot production in that area only.....check 2/3 times a day.

Once you find it in one cola it will appear most likely elsewhere until chopped down and harvested.

Bud washing is your friend :circle-of-love:

Thanks Heady. I have read the Bud Washing thread front to back, twice. Waaay too many good reports to not give it a try. I was planning on doing 3 buckets but now it looks like maybe I'll have to do the h202 as well as the lemon and soda, just to make sure. I do think it might be prudent to harvest early. It would have been nice to see how fat those tops got. I'll keep checking twice a day. Maybe I got lucky and this one little spot is all there is. (fingers crossed) :scratchinghead:

Well. I pulled that cola apart this morning and found the rot about 1 and half inches down from the tip. Definite diagnosis. I cut out the nasty bits and put together a mini wash of peroxide then lemon/soda/ then two rinses of fresh water. Threw them into a drying net for a relatively quick dry after which they will go into c-vaults or a frost-free freezer.

I took a bunch of pics in the garden this morning and nothing caught my eye but when I looked at the images on my big screen i saw some suspect leaves.

These shots gives an idea of what I have to deal with for the five plants. Think I will be able to do three small ones in one round, and then the two bigger ones in a second round? Grabbed 2 gallons of peroxide at Boxco today. :)

Hope this stuff doesn't wash off. ;)

Green kleen or green clean mite and mildew destroyer will help. Bud rot though was caused by either poor ventilation or high humidity or both. Did you foliar feed? Try and keep room around 55% humidity next cycle. Get rid of standing water before lights go out. Green clean that's there old name they just changed it to green kleen it's more for mites and powdery mildew. I'd just be safe and cut about an inch or two below and toss

Sucks to toss but it's the safest bet. Why add peroxide and other things before you smoke. I wouldn't use anything at least 5 days before hanging

Back
Top Bottom