Springtails

they Don’t appear to do damage. I’ve also read they do no damage. But I’ve also read if they get out of control they can begin to do damage. And there’s 100’s if not 1000’s in a 7 gallon pot. If I can at the very least control the population I’d sleep better at night.

I have many 1000s of them in both my pots, they are good for my many 1000s of Rove Beetles to eat and they help break down the soil plus the 1000s of critters dying in the soil every month adds lots of nutrients and Chitin.

wow! What are all those little black bugs scurrying around? I’m in coco btw. Not sure we’re on the same page

wow! What are all those little black bugs scurrying around? I’m in coco btw. Not sure we’re on the same page
They are Rove Beetles, and you can see a few springtails in there and worms.
Yep different page, the springtails shouldn't harm your plant though.
In my case they help.

Now i have never expounded on any ponitifcation where an assertion of my knowledge was stated as being superior. ;) I have had a Homer moment (DOH!) and have been enlightened. This is critical info to keeping my Bonsai's out of the trash, and for that i thank you all immensely.

Now i have never expounded on any ponitifcation where an assertion of my knowledge was stated as being superior. ;) I have had a Homer moment (DOH!) and have been enlightened. This is critical info to keeping my Bonsai's out of the trash, and for that i thank you all immensely.

yeah. What he said:bongrip:

it's funny how i am reading this thread, for a reason,, and i have yet to see an actual description of any kind of a springtail or it's actions.

i happen to be battling an infestation of springtails at the moment myself, in my indoor grow room. i have a cpl plants outside that are loaded with them so i don;t know if i took em from outside to in or from inside to out,, oh well

i am growing in hempy and have had the problem, if it is one, for a month or so

springtails 'do' float in water and one can tell them for positive because they jerk around on the surface, with their springy tails

i see them when i water in the excess runoff, so i know which plant has em and which probably gonna get em

i dunna know if they be good or bad, but they are annoying.

i have been trying safer soap drenches lately,, and taking my babies right down to roots and dunking and rinsing and repotting in brand new perlite

success is undecided as of yet

i have uncovered an absolute ton of conflicting information, everywhere

i am not sure yet if i have seen one crawling on the plant,, so i don't know if they transfer from pot to pot or not

i need the facts maam,, just the facts

it's funny how i am reading this thread, for a reason,, and i have yet to see an actual description of any kind of a springtail or it's actions.

i happen to be battling an infestation of springtails at the moment myself, in my indoor grow room. i have a cpl plants outside that are loaded with them so i don;t know if i took em from outside to in or from inside to out,, oh well

i am growing in hempy and have had the problem, if it is one, for a month or so

springtails 'do' float in water and one can tell them for positive because they jerk around on the surface, with their springy tails

i see them when i water in the excess runoff, so i know which plant has em and which probably gonna get em

i dunna know if they be good or bad, but they are annoying.

i have been trying safer soap drenches lately,, and taking my babies right down to roots and dunking and rinsing and repotting in brand new perlite

success is undecided as of yet

i have uncovered an absolute ton of conflicting information, everywhere

i am not sure yet if i have seen one crawling on the plant,, so i don't know if they transfer from pot to pot or not

i need the facts maam,, just the facts

I wish I could help you. But clearly I’m trying to find the answers as well. Now that I drench my pot, tons of them little white things float to the top. They do just as you say, and “jump” around until the water soaks in, then they just burrow back down into the coco. I never see any on the plant, but I’m not sure I even would because they are so small. My plant looks healthy as can be, minus a small nitrogen excess. I’ve been using SNS209, but that clearly isn’t doing the trick.

I wish I could help you. But clearly I’m trying to find the answers as well. Now that I drench my pot, tons of them little white things float to the top. They do just as you say, and “jump” around until the water soaks in, then they just burrow back down into the coco. I never see any on the plant, but I’m not sure I even would because they are so small. My plant looks healthy as can be, minus a small nitrogen excess. I’ve been using SNS209, but that clearly isn’t doing the trick.

i can't even believe you mentioned a nitrogen excess. unreal. me too, least that is what my research tells me. i have the worst case of clawing down canoe leaves,, ok, not the worst case, but i have em, on a lot of my plants. and yellowing leaves as well but i think a dif issue.

gosh you got me thinking :thumb: :thanks:

I would think a good drench of hydrogen peroxide would kill them.

perhaps,, and thank you,,that might be my next attempt,, i use hydro per for a ton o things in my grow

but,, i woulda thot a drench of soap would work just as good,, but so far i am unconvinced

I’ve read neem oil will kill them. I just don’t have the knowledge or ability to find online if I can use it in flower. Everyone uses it as a foliar application and that’s a definite no no in flower. But what I want to know if it’s ok to apply in the substrate.

Found this info at Organix South. I guess its not uncommon to use as a soil drench
Screenshot_2020-09-21-19-16-47-1.png
when choosing a soap, use a plant based dye & perfume free soap like Dr. Bonners soap or Ecos. If you are growing in soil, in the future you could mix Neem Seed Meal in to the substrate and get the same benefits.

Found this info at Organix South. I guess its not uncommon to use as a soil drench
Screenshot_2020-09-21-19-16-47-1.png
when choosing a soap, use a plant based dye & perfume free soap like Dr. Bonners soap or Ecos. If you are growing in soil, in the future you could mix Neem Seed Meal in to the substrate and get the same benefits.

I’ve also read it can be used as a soil drench. I guess my concern is using it during flower and negatively affecting the end product.

perhaps,, and thank you,,that might be my next attempt,, i use hydro per for a ton o things in my grow

but,, i woulda thot a drench of soap would work just as good,, but so far i am unconvinced

if you do attempt a hydrogen peroxide drench, please post back here with your results

Whoa! Duh, sorry bro. I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes. Neem does have a strong smell. I am not positive if IT would affect the terpene profile. I know early in my grows, i fed a Blue Cheese gauno teas through flowering. When i sampled a bud before harvest, that thing tasted like cat piss (not a good one) and choked me to a point i could not enjoy it. I believe the guano teas affected the taste. I can not say with any certainty that it WON'T affect your finished product.

Back
Top Bottom