Sqwheels' 2nd Grow - White Widow - Soil-Less Mix 2011

Well I've been saying it...now it's time to do it. Like my son is always saying "Stop talking about it and Be about it."

My first grow went pretty good considering I didn't have a clue about what I was doing really. I only found 420Mag by accident around the 3rd week of Bloom because I was searching the web for answers about spider mites.

That's right I got the dreaded spider mites in my first grow. Man they were a bitch. But thanks to a bunch of people here I got some good advice and worked my way thru it.

So with my room all cleaned and sanitized I'm going to try again. And because of all the great people here I'm going to make a journal about it.

Ok, so here's the nuts and bolts of it...

I have 2 White Widows that I got from the local dispensory as 2-3 week old clones

I'm not sure, but I think this strain is considered a hybrid, indica and sativa, but I think it's more indica because it grows short and bushy, at least the first time around it did. I need a short plant because I sit in a wheelchair 24/7 and I'm short, can't have a 6 foot plant, when I'm only a little over 4 foot tall.

These plants were about 6-7" tall when I brought them home on May 18, now they are double that both in height and girth.

I'm growing in a soil-less mix called Sunshine Mix 4

I'm using Canna nutes... currently per gallon of water 15ml Canna Vega, along with 3ml each of Rhizotonic and Cannazym for additives. And adjust this to a PH somewhere between 6.0 - 6.5.

I'm currently watering a half gallon on each every other day. Will adjust this as they grow. Basically I water when the pot feels light, and I don't water enough to create any run off, but the whole in the base of the pot feels damp so I'm pretty sure they're getting enough.

Most of it's guesswork because I don't have any special equipment for monitoring things like EC's or PPM's. I'm not keeping track of this data.

I took them right from their 20 oz solo cups and planted them into 4 gal pots. And put them in my room...

The room... A 4' deep 5' wide closet. We covered the walls with a 1/2" insulation type foam thats reflective on one side and white on the other. We put the reflective side out, thinking this would increase the light.

The Light... A 400w Horilux Blue. This is suppose to give the proper spectrum for both veg and bloom, and seemed to work just fine the first time around.
I'm using a Sun System Magnum XXXL 6" air cooled reflector measuring 32 x 26, almost fills the room. I'm currently running this light 18/6, and adjust it just 2-3 inches above the tops of my girls. Consequently I'm having the readjust it daily, but that's a good thing, I think.

I'm using a Sun System Galaxy 400w Electronic Ballast, which I bought new and had nothing but trouble with the entire first grow, then found out why...it was defective. Got a replacement under warranty and haven't had an issue since.

The environment... I'm using a Ecoplus Classic 6" inline exhaust fan to cool the light, it's specs are 340 cfm and I've set this to work with a temp control unit that kicks it on when the room reaches a certain temp.

Daytime stats... 88 degrees with about 55-60 Rh

Nighttime stats are harder to know for sure, I don't open the door after lights out. But first thing in the am the read is about 75 degrees with 80 RH. Which goes down within the first couple of hours after the lights come on.

I also keep a 8" 3 speed fan on at all times, right now it's on low but I will change it to med when they are a little bigger and can withstand the wind.

I just bought my first digital camera and am still learning how to use it...will post some pictures soon.

I think I've included all the info I'm suppose to, if not let me know.

All advice and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Please don't hesitate to tell me what you think.

:goodluck: with the grow Sqwheels! I've never grown WW, but I've grown a variation called Snow White a few times that was/is a great plant and smoke.

Sending you positive vibes on the grow, and no more mites!! :cheer:

what up sqwheels, nice to see you back in the game!! I am also growing some white widow that i got a clinic back in the beginning of april, that makes me at 4 weeks of flowering! she is a real easy plant to work with, and let me tell you this now, i put my lady into flowering when she was only 13 in. tall, by the 4th day of flower she had grown to 21 in. so if you are worried about height your gonna wanna top her as she gets into flowering, maybe somewhere around week 1 or in the middle, just where you think you want her to stop growing.
Now you were right about her being a hybrid, she is 60/40 Indica dom.
my only thing is that she doesnt bush out as much as i thought she would til i topped her, but i am using CFL and i think what you said about the Horilux Blue is a HPS or MH, but if this is also true, I do believe that you have that light way to close to the tops, for a CFL you want it anywhere from 1 in. to 12 in. to the tops, for HID you want to usually keep it about 18 in. away, or better yet just put your hand on top of the canopy and if it doesnt feel to hot then its just right for your ladies...
Now about your temps, generally you dont want to go past 85, and 95 is critical.
For your night time, you really dont have to worry about a photo period til you go into flowering, when your doing the 18/6 it is only the veg grow, you could leave it on for 24/0 but you just be wasting electricity, during veg plants only need the blue spectum for 16 - 18 hours and then uses it to stretch and grow and give itself the vitamins it needs from the light, its when you go into flowering (12/12) that you want absolute darkness during lights out and no more than a dull moons light for more than 5 minutes or it can cause your plant stress and it will herm!!! all bad!!!
to fix this problem during the night time, and you want to see her or check temps, invest in a green bulb, the green light reflects off of her green leaves so she doesnt even know theres light on.

well thats all i can think of saying at this moment! feel free to check out my grow, its in the signature, or you can hit me back if you need more help, i will be following to see how you do, so keep up wit the updates!!! yea buddy, good luck to you!:goodluck:

hit me up if you need some help wit that camera also!!!
:peacetwo:

Ok, here's the first shots of my girls...I can only guess, but I think they are about 4-5weeks veg.
I can't really know for sure because I got them from the dispensory and they were about 6-7" tall. That was on May 18th.

DSCN00311.JPG

DSCN00322.JPG

They look pretty good so far, wish me luck. And thanks for all the input.

ok, I'm having a couple issues...can somebody tell me how to add a link to my grow journal to my signature? I've tried... open my journal, copy the url, open my user control panel, edit signature, insert link, and paste. Every time it doubles up the address. I can't figure it out. I have a few odd ??'s Is there a way I can ask an administrator, is there a button somewhere I'm missing? I've gone thru all the FAQ's I can find and I still have ??'s

Help a girl out please, :thanks:

when it shows the doubled address and it shows the highlighted text you can put what you want the text to show on your signature, i had a major problem with it as well but i finally got it, so when you go to put yours in, its gonna look like this

now where i made it bold is where the highlighted text will be and that is where you type the text you want to show on your signature.
I had to put a space in there so it wouldn't show it to you as a link but as the way you will see it when you put in the code for yours...i will post on here the link to show exactly how to do this also, its how I learned,

hope this helps a girl out!!! lol

:peacetwo:[/URL]

What would we do without a little help from friends...Thanks so much

yea buddy there you go!!! that just shows me that i helped!!!

You are very welcome!!!

message me if you have anymore questions, if i dont have the answer for you i will find it!!!

:peacetwo:

Posting fixed. I say "dude" automatically, I didnt think about it. lol

-Rek

"Dude" No worries, I never gave it a second thought, it's all good.

"Dude" No worries, I never gave it a second thought, it's all good.

Hi SQ I made it over here and things are looking good. :)

I'm very pleased that you are a she. We need more ladies here on 420. We've had some great lady growers here and they have taught me plenty. If you ever want to read they're journals, look in the closed journals. These come to mind:
Lavendar, Granny 420, and Bay Area Stoner or BAS. There are others but, I can't remember them at the moment.

Good on ya Girl! :bravo:

Thanks OMM, that means alot coming from you.

I've already lurked around in bay area's journals, I'll have to look up the others you mentioned. But no matter male/female I think we all have a lot to learn and give to each other.

Thanks again. J

Hi SQ I made it over here and things are looking good. :)

I'm very pleased that you are a she. We need more ladies here on 420. We've had some great lady growers here and they have taught me plenty. If you ever want to read they're journals, look in the closed journals. These come to mind:
Lavendar, Granny 420, and Bay Area Stoner or BAS. There are others but, I can't remember them at the moment.

Good on ya Girl! :bravo:

I totally agree with you on this!!!

Green and strong!I like the name of"white widow",keep it up!

Thanks Scott,

I don't know where they come up with all the different names, but I had great success with the first (only) ww I grew so I'm going with what worked. I can only hope for the same results with time. Thanks for the encouragement. ;)

Astonr, Rekles,

Thanks guys, I'm happy to be included.

Back
Top Bottom