Stanks Go Perpetual In 2018!

Yeah I agree. I've been thinking about this. I'll grab the earthworms this week and some soil. Good stuff blew!

"around the house"..... You are so screwed now..... the "honey do" list will get shorter.... ;)

Lesson Learned

We have been having issues with our carbon filters here the last couple weeks. Been having much higher fluctuations in temps and wasn't sure what the issue was. Apparently the pre filters got clogged up so I had to clean them. I ordered a couple replacement pre filters. I took them off to clean them in the mean time and they are drying well.

For those of you out there, I suggest a quarterly or at least semi annual cleaning of your pre filters. I might also suggest having a back up so you can swap them out and clean them at your leisure.

I saw a conversation on Guy's thread about books. You said you liked fantasy/sci fi. I would like to recommend Anne McCaffrey, Dragonriders of Pern series. Great way to get lost in other worlds that great writers create. I am mostly a mystery reader, but these took me away.

Quick Update

We are kind of doing a little improvising over the next two weeks. We have Ms Stanks male down in the veg tent, and he is starting to flower out for some pollen collection in a couple weeks. That means all the vegging is taking place as it was in the upstairs "flower tent". Well we flipped on the Nukehead #2 and the Stankberry #1 a couple days ago. SO that means at 11pm, I take them out of the 'flower' tent upstairs and put those two into the small 2x2 tent for their 12 hours of darkness. Then at 11am, I take them out and put them back into the tent under the Spydrx Plus.

Its a little bit of extra work, but we have to work with what we have right? That being said, that god damn Stankberry is going to kill me in flower. She is growing like mad and I am truly afraid I am going to run out of height LOL. She is a straight up beast!! Ya can't miss her. The Nukehead #2 is hiding right behind her, despite the fact the Nukehead is 20+ days younger.

They all look good though.... :yahoo:

Hey Dobe, sorry I missed this post before.

Glad to hear you are going to give soil a try. Let me know if you have any questions about anything brother! I am happy to help any way that I can!
No worries!

My basic plan is to grow autoflowers over the nicest summer months in my back yard, in 3 gallon smart pots sitting on my deck. I haven't really done any research yet as to soil, but I'll be looking into a soil that is newb friendly. Dabber suggested Kind Soil which is really expensive to ship to me. I’d prefer to buy something locally. I’m not averse to mixing up my own but have no experience there. Dabber also suggested Stank Soil which I assume is your recipe?

I have no experience with autos nor with soil, nor even with outdoor growing. I’m not worried about making mistakes as my indoor spring harvests should set me up well for the rest of the year. So I’m a bit of a blank slate.

Any tips you or anyone who follows has would be much appreciated.

No worries!

My basic plan is to grow autoflowers over the nicest summer months in my back yard, in 3 gallon smart pots sitting on my deck. I haven't really done any research yet as to soil, but I'll be looking into a soil that is newb friendly. Dabber suggested Kind Soil which is really expensive to ship to me. I’d prefer to buy something locally. I’m not averse to mixing up my own but have no experience there. Dabber also suggested Stank Soil which I assume is your recipe?

I have no experience with autos nor with soil, nor even with outdoor growing. I’m not worried about making mistakes as my indoor spring harvests should set me up well for the rest of the year. So I’m a bit of a blank slate.

Any tips you or anyone who follows has would be much appreciated.
I am using Coots mix, but it is a fairly time consuming deal to get started. And lots of sourcing. So I would recommend KIS Organics nutrient and mineral pack! It is a flat $50 and gives ypu everything you need to make 30 gallons of "water only" soil. Then you can grab some perlite, compost, and peat moss and your all set. You can of course buy extra odds and ins to maximize growth and photosynthesis! Shouldnt cost you more than $200 to make 10 - 3 gal pots!

Thanks for the input Laquer. My go to for someone in the USA thinking about going soil is to try something like Kind Soil. But for those outside of the USA, I don't have a clue what their best option would be. That sounds like a good option.

I certainly wouldn't recommend my soil for someone just starting out with soil.....lots of sourcing required and probably pretty costly for our neighbors to the north.

Super healthy looking plants Van!

Thanks PW, I appreciate it brother. Just gotta get the Blue Dream back on track. Lesson finally learned!

They all look good though.... :yahoo:

Thanks Bonsai!

Ahh, the life of constantly shifting plants around...welcome to my world VS! And once I flip the AK, that's another bit of moving every night :).

Yeah, its a pain in the butt, but really not that time consuming. Its just listening to my alarm!

For what it’s worth I’m in a major city, that also has farm land close by - so sourcing might take some legwork but would be doable. I have a pretty popular garden center very close by, as well as box stores like Home Depot.

KIS looks like a similar situation to Kind Soil, where I’ll pay 1/3 of the price on the product and 2/3 getting it shipped and imported. What are the chances local gardening centres and the like would have prepared “water only” soil such as these?

I love the idea of a prepared soil I only need to water as a newb.

I think it would be good to try and find something for you to try and see if you like a growing style where you don't need to do much other than train the plant IF you want to.

You can talk to @Guy Cavallero, he is canadian and he sourced everything I used. He might be able to give you an idea of what everything on my list ran him cost wise.

If you go to where you mix your own soil, you can get multiple runs out of it so the cost drops greatly the more you run your soil. If you are going to end up walking down the path of making your own, I suggest you consider getting into vermi-composting for sure.

For what it’s worth I’m in a major city, that also has farm land close by - so sourcing might take some legwork but would be doable. I have a pretty popular garden center very close by, as well as box stores like Home Depot.

KIS looks like a similar situation to Kind Soil, where I’ll pay 1/3 of the price on the product and 2/3 getting it shipped and imported. What are the chances local gardening centres and the like would have prepared “water only” soil such as these?

I may not have been very clear. KIS also sales a water only soil. But I was referring to their nutrient kit that allows you to cut shipping costs out as long as you can source the aeration, compost, and peat. That way you don't have to pay to ship all that stuff. They are a pretty amazing company and what they stand for is why I use them. And as Van said, it will be very easy to re amend that soil for another use. Reducing the costs even more! And I could be wrong but depending on your area I would not really trust a "water only" soil other than those that have been formulated for our target plant :yummy:.

Dobe, i too was intrigued by the Kindsoil....until i found out about shipping. My version of Stanks' soil ran me around $650 CAD, I bought everything locally other than a couple of amendments.....to save on shipping. That made me about 230L.. Pm me if you want locations for everything I purchased.....dont wanna step on any sponsor toes.

I just want to add this disclaimer.....out of everything that Guy bought.....its enough (not counting future base soil...but if you get into vermi-composting you can use some of your old recycled soil to use the base for your vermi-composting to build your base soil in the future) to do multiple batches of soil.

For me a batch gives me about 60 gallons of soil.....and I think I can get close to 3 batches of soil from that. Each batch can then be re-amended a couple times each. With a good vermi-compost set up, you could probably get 4-5 runs through with a little bit of re-amending. In the long run, it can be extremely cost efficient.

Back
Top Bottom