Stanks Go Perpetual In 2018!

That little JH auto is not going to need much encouragement bud site wise. I am interested in seeing how that works for you. Auto's were never a consideration for me before but now with 2 tents come fall I can see possibly parking one in the veg tent. It would seem the potency of the auto's has come a long way.

Who's Northern lights is that again? These threads get long and I am too impatient to go back through it. LOL

Hey Sam, thanks for swing by brother. The Northern Lights is from Sensi (I needed to do a fem and my Nirvana's are regulars) but so far, so good. Looks like a strong plant early on!

I am not a big fan of Autos but I am giving it a go. I do have a couple Auto beans I came into possession of that look pretty tempting so assuming this turn out ok, I could see doing a random one ever once in a while. Definitely still a photo guy though!

Good morning sunshine! That harlequin is insane pretty...actually, they all look spectacular as always, but the structure is on point for her. Very pretty. Your pictures are fantastic too...
Morning Gramps! Thanks for the visit and the kind words. Things are rolling along just the way I had hoped.....plants are all happy and healthy! Starting day 1 of 12/12 on the Nukehead and the Stankberry. They looked real happy to come out of the dark tent after a little over 24 hours of darkness! Fun times Gramps, fun times!!!

No worm farm for me. That will come in the future.

Not sure if future means "when I can" versus "too soon now"... if former I can send you a nice little starter batch of red worms and you could be rolling next week. Find an old tote (with lid) and throw that old soil in with some scraps and water and you are rolling. (re tote: more surface area is better than volume). Like anything, it needs time but if you start now you'll have 1) usable fermi-soil in 3 month and 2) plenty of worms to seed another tote (or 12). Worms are like roots...they self cull or expand to the space offered. Say the word and I'll get it out Monday.

Its more of a space issue currently Blew. All these damn grow tents seem to be taking up all my extra space LOL. Not sure I am willing to give them up for a worm farm.

Question for you, what is the temperature range you need for the worm farm? Curious if the basement is an option.

Its more of a space issue currently Blew. All these damn grow tents seem to be taking up all my extra space LOL. Not sure I am willing to give them up for a worm farm. Question for you, what is the temperature range you need for the worm farm? Curious if the basement is an option.

I overwinter one worm bin in my basement @ 65-70F. Worms thrive @ 60-80F. If you can't do it in your basement, another option is to get an "underbed" low profile tote and stick it in your tent with pots on top of it. You only need to get into the worm bin every 2-3 weeks. If they have enough moisture (you want to see puddling of .5" on bottom in that size tote) and food they prefer to be left alone. My summer bins are outdoors and temps range from 50-90F. I use fish crates (with lids) and load them with water and enough water and media (soil, leaves, whatever) where I have about a 1-2" water puddling. I feed them 2-3 times a summer (old veggies from the farm) and they do fine. I use the next spring, so I just let them roll through winter (majority of worms die), fill my pots from the bins, restock with old dirt, handful of worms, water, food...repeat...that easy. It's having the container, the starter handful of worms, water, food (coffee, veggie peelings) and letting them do their thing. They actually feed off the bacteria of the decaying matter so having that quietly "rotting" somewhere out of the way is the whole process. No stink or mess. In three (3) months you have black gold.

As I have posted here earlier, we eat a lot of eggs (our own) so I have a old yogurt container (with lid) next to the sink. I put all our coffee grounds (we have three local roasters in a population of 10k...priorities!) and crushed eggs shells in it (with some occasional potato, carrot, cucumber peels) and that gets filled about every 5-7 days. I dump this in the basement bin and it 1) gives them food , 2) grit (egg shells) to digest, 3) moisture (always about a cup of old coffee in there). No fruits, onions, dairy, meat...obvious no nos. Stick to what I do and you are golden.

Looking back at what I wrote and laughed...a 300 word answer instead of "basement is fine. 60-80F".

Obviously I am a big fan....and so are my plants!:yummy:

If you can't do it in your basement, another option is to get an "underbed" low profile tote and stick it in your tent with pots on top of it. You only need to get into the worm bin every 2-3 weeks.

Ok I have heard of Bed Bugs..... But Bed Worms:eek:

:laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl::slide:

I overwinter one worm bin in my basement @ 65-70F. Worms thrive @ 60-80F. If you can't do it in your basement, another option is to get an "underbed" low profile tote and stick it in your tent with pots on top of it. You only need to get into the worm bin every 2-3 weeks. If they have enough moisture (you want to see puddling of .5" on bottom in that size tote) and food they prefer to be left alone. My summer bins are outdoors and temps range from 50-90F. I use fish crates (with lids) and load them with water and enough water and media (soil, leaves, whatever) where I have about a 1-2" water puddling. I feed them 2-3 times a summer (old veggies from the farm) and they do fine. I use the next spring, so I just let them roll through winter (majority of worms die), fill my pots from the bins, restock with old dirt, handful of worms, water, food...repeat...that easy. It's having the container, the starter handful of worms, water, food (coffee, veggie peelings) and letting them do their thing. They actually feed off the bacteria of the decaying matter so having that quietly "rotting" somewhere out of the way is the whole process. No stink or mess. In three (3) months you have black gold.

As I have posted here earlier, we eat a lot of eggs (our own) so I have a old yogurt container (with lid) next to the sink. I put all our coffee grounds (we have three local roasters in a population of 10k...priorities!) and crushed eggs shells in it (with some occasional potato, carrot, cucumber peels) and that gets filled about every 5-7 days. I dump this in the basement bin and it 1) gives them food , 2) grit (egg shells) to digest, 3) moisture (always about a cup of old coffee in there). No fruits, onions, dairy, meat...obvious no nos. Stick to what I do and you are golden.

Looking back at what I wrote and laughed...a 300 word answer instead of "basement is fine. 60-80F".

Obviously I am a big fan....and so are my plants!:yummy:
Hey I appreciate the info.....this is something that Ms Stank and I are very interested in. I am using a shit ton of EWC in my teas as well as in my soil so getting rolling on our own worm farm seems like common sense to me. I will definitely be picking your brain more about this as we progress and I certainly appreciate the start up offer. Just might take you up on it when we are ready. Feel free to post pictures of your set up as well Blew.....we love seeing what other people do with them.

Oh and I love the longer answers over the short direct answers!

Hey I appreciate the info.....this is something that Ms Stank and I are very interested in. I am using a shit ton of EWC in my teas as well as in my soil so getting rolling on our own worm farm seems like common sense to me. I will definitely be picking your brain more about this as we progress and I certainly appreciate the start up offer. Just might take you up on it when we are ready. Feel free to post pictures of your set up as well Blew.....we love seeing what other people do with them.

Oh and I love the longer answers over the short direct answers!

It's too easy...

"The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the second best time is today" - Japanese Proverb

Feel free to post pictures of your set up as well Blew.....we love seeing what other people do with them.

I use large fish totes...they're stackable, ridiculously strong, priced right ($30 w/lid), and hold just the amount that I can maneuver when full (probably about 60lbs full, so maneuver means slide...otherwise 2 people is an easy carry). At our farm I stack 2x to a pallet and use the tractor.

Here is the one (1) tote we keep in our basement over winter. From this one tote I can seed another 16-20 totes in Spring. Worms double their population every 6 weeks, so 1-2 handfuls will fully populate a tote in 3-4 months. Looks worse than it smells (there is none). Note the plant growing w/o any light in the forefront. This medium is so perfect plants grow in the dark...

Scrape away an inch of the surface and ...tons of happy worms.

This is the one currently in our 12x24 GH which I used all winter. 5-gallon bucket for scale

Here is a stack of four (4) fully processed worm totes under 5 feet of snow waiting for summer crop (and Stank Genetics :cool:)

What happens to the worms in the winter? And what do you do with the worms that are in the soil when you use it? Do you just leave them in there and plant or do you pick them out?

I am super excited to try this out! Perfect way to use my "used" soil! Do you throw your cannabis leaves in there to eat as well?

What happens to the worms in the winter? And what do you do with the worms that are in the soil when you use it? Do you just leave them in there and plant or do you pick them out?
Do you throw your cannabis leaves in there to eat as well?

Most of the adult worms die below 30F, but there are still thousands of eggs throughout that go dormant....these hatch into worms above 50F. At a certain point the media will become fully "processed" meaning it is fully worm shit and thus toxic to worms. At this point they die and you are left with the finished product...thus I usually don't have many when potting, though when I do I leave them in for the ride....

My suggestion for assured success: old soil, water, veggie scraps, coffee grounds, eggs shells. Beyond this is style points (we throw in our dryer lint!), but I suggest you have 75%+ of the inputs in place from the beginning. It will help breakdown be more consistent...you can always throw in cannabis leaves as you get them.

Final note: more surface area = quicker breakdown, thus veggie peelings versus a bundle of whole carrots, etc. Some people go overboard and blend or food process, but that is unnecessary. Potato/carrot/cucumber peelings are our go to....

I am super excited to try this out! Perfect way to use my "used" soil!

So you're ready for some? :cheer:

I'm gonna get with Blew and get this thing rolling here pretty soon. Need to get a few more things done around the house, and with my back....that can be slow going at times. Once those are done, we will kick that adventure off!

I'm gonna get with Blew and get this thing rolling here pretty soon. Need to get a few more things done around the house, and with my back....that can be slow going at times. Once those are done, we will kick that adventure off!
Sweet!! My Jedi mind tricks are working!!

Back
Top Bottom