Stanks Sponsored Grow: Black Skull Seeds, Dos-Si-Dos & Wedding Cake

As promised, the start to any grow is always a bit on the slower side. We dropped the seeds on the 1st and they sank on the 2nd, and had tap roots peaking out on the 3rd. I dropped them in soil last night night. This was one of the batches sticking their tongues out.

I suspect that we will likely have someone popping up through the surface at some point tomorrow or the following day. Its been a while since I popped seeds, lol, I forget how slow things start out.

Ok, been a few days but like I said above....things move slow early on.

We had pretty good luck with the germination, of the 6 seeds we dropped 5 of them cracked. All 5 of the cracked seeds had success breaking the soil but one of the Wedding Cakes couldn't shed her helmet or membrane and when I finally had to make an emergency surgery it was too much for her to make it through. I ended up damaging the neck of the seedling as I tried to remove the membrane. So that leaves us 4......well lets say 3 and a half. Remember the issue I had with the wedding cake shell removal? Well it wasn't isolated to only one seed. All three had a hell of a time shedding it and one of the other Wedding Cake seedlings lost one of its cotyledons in the removal process.

I have no clue if the one with the single cotyledon will make it or not, but I sure hope so. So that brings us up to date for the most part.

I did up pot the seedling from it seedling cup to a half gallon pot yesterday. I grabbed a couple pics of them today in their new homes.

So lets recap the timeline....Dropped the seeds the evening of Jan 1st. Jan 3rd they went into soil and Jan 6th the survivors were up. They chilled in the seedling tray for a few days and then they got their first up potting into the half gallon pot. The Goal will be to keep them in the half gallon pot for at least 30 days if possible before going up to a 2 gallon pot for most of the remaining veg. The 2 gallon pot should buy me 45 days before up potting to their final pot.

Here is the Wedding Cake with the lost cotyledon. I keep looking to see if anything is going to pop up from in there but nothing yet. Hope the new leaves surface soon. Sometimes if you run into issues like this, it can cause the new leaves to get kind of caught up and they have difficulties breaking through. If that happens, we will watch for the bulge that indicates the new growth is caught up and perform a surgery on it to get it out. But we will let it try on its own for now.

Thats all for now. Probably won't get another update for a few days unless something happens with the single cotyledon Wedding Cake. Right now, all the focus on the seedlings should be on getting those roots going so we're kind of in slow motion above the ground for the time being. Cheers! See ya soon! :ganjamon: :ciao:

That is a peculiar looking seedling with just the single cotyledon... sure hope the first jagged leaves start to appear
I broke the other one off trying to remove the shell and membrane which were particularly stubborn. Unfortunately I don't think she is gonna make it. Pics to come later today. The other three girls are doing great.

Hey hey hey!!! I know its been a bit, but I promise everything is looking great (Except for the single cotyledon plant....its not going to make it). Things are always slow starting out and its especially slow in the winter time grows. I grow in the New England area and our winter humidity level is extremely low coupled with lower than optimal temps make seedlings and young plants much slower to grow than the warmer and wetter months.

Now, Last we left, I had recently transplanted the plants into the half gallon pots. When I do that transplant, I won't water those plants again until they are completely dry. I might water very lightly in the top inch of the soil once or twice but thats it. I want the plant's roots to seek out any and all moisture in the soil.

It took almost 30 days for that to happen here. I picked up the pots and bam, no weight.....plant is dry. Time to water them. Its not easy to resist the urge to water them regularly, and its very hard to not touch a plant for almost a month. I would like to also point out that I prefer to use the dunk method to water plants after its second watering. DON'T DUNK with a new transplant. Nothing is holding the soil together and it will all wash out the holes and you will be left with about half the volume of soil as you started with. Now that I have gone through a wet to dry cycle, the roots will hold the soil together and I can dunk and get another thorough watering done. Its also much faster and an efficient method of watering.

Veg Day 24

Even with the pots being light and ready for a watering, you can see the health of the posture in the leaves. This is achieved through forcing the roots to expand and search out water. If you have a poor root system, your plant will be prone a lot more wilting when in drier conditions. With a vigorous and healthy root system, your plant is much more protected against drier conditions.

Wedding Cake - Veg Day 24

Dos-si-dos #1 - Veg Day 24

Dos-si-dos #2 - Veg Day 24

Once I get them watered/dunked, they will go a couple more days and then I will be looking to top all three and start training them out. The wet-dry cycle will start speeding up quickly going forward. I am guessing that I will likely get 5 days before needing watering again. I will take a peek at the roots at that point and determine when I will be looking to up pot. All in all, things are rolling along nicely albeit a bit on the slower side due to the winter environment .

You wait that long for the second water huh? I like the idea of doing that once, then on to the next stage. My 8 ladies are on day 1 of first water for up pot. Let's see how they go with your method. C'mon warmer more moist weather! My girls are cold too!
I wait as long as it takes for the second watering...sometimes its quicker, other times it can take a LONG time. Running a lot of plants makes it easy to deal with when it one of the longer waits between waterings. For me, its all about the weight of the pot. Now the only straying I do from this practice is the act of keeping the top inch or two of the soil moist. I am trying to grow roots from the top to the bottom of the pot and top watering small amounts will help do that.

Hey all! :ciao:

Checking back in with another update. Things are rolling along pretty well on this grow so far. We recently suffered a little bit of a hiccup with soil energy. I posted it over on my other journal but since it was for these plants I wanted to touch on it here as well.

I grow in soil with no bottled nutes. From time to time the energy level in my soil will drop for whatever reason. Most people don't or can't grasp the concept of there being energy, but I assure you its there.

So what happened? Last time we were here....this is what the plants looked like....on Feb 9th

This is what they looked like a couple days later.

There were a few things that changed during this time. I moved them from the upstairs tent (70 degrees) down to the basement and into the downstairs veg tent where the temps are a bit lower. The posture is not from watering.....as I watered it the day before.

What did I do to make the girls happy? Two things changed....brighter light and colder temps. I top dressed a little bit of my homemade veg mix but that alone didn't get the response I was looking for so I added a heating pad under the girls. It took about 3 days for the posture of the plants to go from the sad look above to this once I added the heating pad. Here is how they looked as of yesterday. I am likely going to give them another day or two and then I will be looking to up pot these ladies. Not sure if I will go directly into a 5 gallon pot, or if I will go into a 2 gallon pot for another month before going into their final pot.

Wedding Cake - Veg Day 38

Dos-si-dos #1 - Veg Day 38

Dos-si-dos #2 - Veg Day 38

All three girls are in need of a hair cut and a topping. I will likely get around to that at some point today or tomorrow. I expect these ladies to explode when they get their roots in some fresh soil.

Back
Top Bottom