Stanks Switch It Up In 2019

What's up guys and girls!! Can you believe July is gone? Good riddens...Too DAMN HOT!! So much so that I had to put on the "beat the heat" hat and come up with a better way of watering these outdoor girls.

Some of you guys prolly remember the water bottles in the corner of the tents watering system we had back at the old place. Well, first off, it's back!!! I had to make all new ones, but its DONE....at least this version. I have had to make a few modification to the first prototype but we are cooking with fire now! Total time saver and back saver from full on waterings. Plus these girls are thirsty!!

Now I had a few lessons learned from the last batch and the first one was I needed a way to remove the watering circle from the plant if and when I needed to move them. I am still doing sulfur burns well into flower so I need to be able to access the lights to remove them from the tents.....which means I need to be able to empty the plants from the tent. :hmmmm:

Then it came to me....velcro wraps from the previous life's work. This is what I came up with and so far its working great.

So back to it being hot as hell out there, I needed to do something similar.....but what. I don't want to have to fill up those quart bottles 16 times per plant when I need to water them. Then I going down into the basement and it caught my eye. :idea::slide:For the fenced in girls

And for the Deck girls, one for them too!! I just drilled a 1/4" hole near the bottom, inserted the drip line and sprayed with flex seal. I don't really care for using it for this task....but I didn't want to search for the caulking gun cause there is no freaking telling where that thing is or how long it would take me to find it so we used the Flex Seal spray.

Works like a breeze....now I just put the water ring around the plant I want to water (takes less than a minute to remove it from the old and put it around the new one (unless there is an obstacle course of bambo stakes), grab the hose and fill up the 5 gallon jug. In and out of the heat in less than 10 minutes for two plants, one on the deck and one in the fenced area. I can water all the outdoor girls in less than an hour of actual work. Each bottle takes about an hour to cycle through

Speaking of the fenced girls......:cheesygrinsmiley:

So what to do with all this extra time from watering requirements? :hmmmm: Well the girls are in a terrible need of a barber but damn if Covid ain't got that bastard MIA. Time for a trim! Let me tell ya...this type of haircut ain't for the squeamish so I loaded up the bong and in we jumped!! And started trimming. And Trimming.....and trimming......and cutting.....and sawing. We had to take a couple breaks during this evolution. Here she was a night or two before her trim.

Here is her undercarriage about a third of way through it......

And then this was when I finally finished the first pass!!

After 3+ of all sorts of bending and twisting and squinting and cursing (cut lots of the wrong branches as well nicked myself a few times when snipping blind), we were finally done with our initial hair cut. I'm gonna give her a couple more weeks to recover and fill in and then I'll go through again just as aggressively

Needing to stretch and walk it out, I joined Ms Stank who was out working in the veggie garden. She had a hell of a haul! :drool:

And we are just starting to be able to pick the tomatoes!!

This one is next!!

Followed by the Jack

Oh and we are officially calling the Afghani in flower....she's on day 2 :cheesygrinsmiley:

Oh and can't forget a few pics of the indoor flowering girls. I snapped a few pics of the Black Cherry Punch we have going and my goodness she smells amazing. This one might actually be a better version than the previous cut you all have seen me grow out in the past. These pics are from day 33 or 34 at the latest and I am having a hard time remembering feeling a stickier, greasier girl than this one. I don't think she's gonna see day 65 if she keeps going at this rate!!

What's up guys and girls!! Can you believe July is gone? Good riddens...Too DAMN HOT!! So much so that I had to put on the "beat the heat" hat and come up with a better way of watering these outdoor girls.

Some of you guys prolly remember the water bottles in the corner of the tents watering system we had back at the old place. Well, first off, it's back!!! I had to make all new ones, but its DONE....at least this version. I have had to make a few modification to the first prototype but we are cooking with fire now! Total time saver and back saver from full on waterings. Plus these girls are thirsty!!

Now I had a few lessons learned from the last batch and the first one was I needed a way to remove the watering circle from the plant if and when I needed to move them. I am still doing sulfur burns well into flower so I need to be able to access the lights to remove them from the tents.....which means I need to be able to empty the plants from the tent. :hmmmm:

Then it came to me....velcro wraps from the previous life's work. This is what I came up with and so far its working great.

So back to it being hot as hell out there, I needed to do something similar.....but what. I don't want to have to fill up those quart bottles 16 times per plant when I need to water them. Then I going down into the basement and it caught my eye. :idea::slide:For the fenced in girls

And for the Deck girls, one for them too!! I just drilled a 1/4" hole near the bottom, inserted the drip line and sprayed with flex seal. I don't really care for using it for this task....but I didn't want to search for the caulking gun cause there is no freaking telling where that thing is or how long it would take me to find it so we used the Flex Seal spray.

Works like a breeze....now I just put the water ring around the plant I want to water (takes less than a minute to remove it from the old and put it around the new one (unless there is an obstacle course of bambo stakes), grab the hose and fill up the 5 gallon jug. In and out of the heat in less than 10 minutes for two plants, one on the deck and one in the fenced area. I can water all the outdoor girls in less than an hour of actual work. Each bottle takes about an hour to cycle through

Speaking of the fenced girls......:cheesygrinsmiley:

So what to do with all this extra time from watering requirements? :hmmmm: Well the girls are in a terrible need of a barber but damn if Covid ain't got that bastard MIA. Time for a trim! Let me tell ya...this type of haircut ain't for the squeamish so I loaded up the bong and in we jumped!! And started trimming. And Trimming.....and trimming......and cutting.....and sawing. We had to take a couple breaks during this evolution. Here she was a night or two before her trim.

Here is her undercarriage about a third of way through it......

And then this was when I finally finished the first pass!!

After 3+ of all sorts of bending and twisting and squinting and cursing (cut lots of the wrong branches as well nicked myself a few times when snipping blind), we were finally done with our initial hair cut. I'm gonna give her a couple more weeks to recover and fill in and then I'll go through again just as aggressively

Needing to stretch and walk it out, I joined Ms Stank who was out working in the veggie garden. She had a hell of a haul! :drool:

And we are just starting to be able to pick the tomatoes!!

This one is next!!

Followed by the Jack

Oh and we are officially calling the Afghani in flower....she's on day 2 :cheesygrinsmiley:

Amazing beasts Mr. Stank. Your watering system is inspiring. I am also after a custom design because I got sick of these fungus gnats. They are very few in numbers but that is enough to annoy me. I will build a custom DWC/Autopot combo using simple buckets, hoses, pumps and an aqua valve. This will work like exactly like an autopot but instead of a solid medium, I will use only water.

Its a shame that we don't have mosquito bits here. I've read great reviews on that product and I think if we had that one here, I would keep growing in coco. I will cover my medium with a nylon sheet for now and start bottom feeding to get rid of the future gnat eggs. H2O2 seems to kills most of the eggs inside the medium but around half of the larvae there survives. I will apply that before covering my pots to improve the process.

I would love to hear your suggestions on gnats. Can't wait to see these beasts bloom man. Amazing branches :bravo:Cheers :passitleft:

Those watering bottles will make your life so much easier. I had a question/suggestion for you. In the fenced in area would it not benefit your girls if all the weeds and underbrush was cut down around them? Less places for pests to linger. Kind of like you do your veggie garden. I'm not an outdoor grower so that is not a real educated suggestion just an observation.

All your plants look stunning.

Any day now for this girl. I took a tester off her last night. Under the mini microscope I'm still seeing quite a lot of clear trichromes but I am also seeing a few amber. Just like the last one I harvested it never got close to being mostly milky with some amber. I'm thinking another 5 days to see what she's like going the extra days.

Highya VS,

She looks like some of the DDa's being grown around. She certainly looks ready, dripping with trichomes! Great looking bronze lady!! Happy Smokin'

Looking excellent Van. You got some monsters. They never stop drinking.

I woke up in the middle of the night dreaming about watering plants. Yeah its real.

Gonna do a rain dance here.

Hope you stay safe and relatively dry with the coming monsoon ISAIAS.

Flower season is upon us. Full moon woot.

GL coming down the stretch outside.

I see my plants and hardly any flowers and start looking at the calendar and wondering are we gonna make it? I dont know how you do it.

Amazing beasts Mr. Stank. Your watering system is inspiring. I am also after a custom design because I got sick of these fungus gnats. They are very few in numbers but that is enough to annoy me. I will build a custom DWC/Autopot combo using simple buckets, hoses, pumps and an aqua valve. This will work like exactly like an autopot but instead of a solid medium, I will use only water.

Its a shame that we don't have mosquito bits here. I've read great reviews on that product and I think if we had that one here, I would keep growing in coco. I will cover my medium with a nylon sheet for now and start bottom feeding to get rid of the future gnat eggs. H2O2 seems to kills most of the eggs inside the medium but around half of the larvae there survives. I will apply that before covering my pots to improve the process.

I would love to hear your suggestions on gnats. Can't wait to see these beasts bloom man. Amazing branches :bravo:Cheers :passitleft:
Hey TC! Welcome....can't say I remember seeing you through here recently so thanks for stopping in and chiming in.

Yeah I am loving the water bottle resurrection. My life has gotten much easier and more 'routine' oriented since I brought them back. Like this morning, 15 minutes down in the basement and I had the 2 flower tents watered with no bending or lifting :cheesygrinsmiley: Then I went out and prepped the outdoor girls for the tropical storm thats going to be moving through this evening and tomorrow.

Fungus Gnats.....yeah I like the mosquito bits in conjunction with the sticky traps but I think the key for me has been the big box fan I stuck in my tent. Moves a lot of air and since I threw them in the tents, my gnat issue seems to have disappeared. Is the Mosquito bits? The Stickies? The Box fan? I don't care...lol.....I'll keep using all three if it keeps me gnat free!! My advice....they don't fly very well, but small fans just don't move the volume of air needed to keep them away from your soil line....get a box fan. I run it on low or medium.....high just blows too much.

Wow, Van everything looks fantastic including the Veggies buddy. Nothing like growing your own food and medicine. :passitleft:

Sparkey!! Whats up brother! Yeah man, nothing like fresh food from the gardens. We're rolling in the produce right now....and the tomatoes are just now starting to get ripe. I have like 40 plants going with like 18 different varieties. Several cherry and saladette varieties, several medium size varieties, some exotic and some heirloom varieties....lots to choose from!!

Those watering bottles will make your life so much easier. I had a question/suggestion for you. In the fenced in area would it not benefit your girls if all the weeds and underbrush was cut down around them? Less places for pests to linger. Kind of like you do your veggie garden. I'm not an outdoor grower so that is not a real educated suggestion just an observation.

All your plants look stunning.

Water bottles are definitely making my life ALOT easier and freeing up a lot more time.

Yes, it would be good to trim the grasses in my fenced area. Maybe now that I am not watering plants for 6 hours a day I can catch up on some of the yard work I have been apparently neglecting! Cheers brother Beez!!

:high-five::passitleft:
I always liked the water bottles in the corners. Good to see them back and easing the workload.

I did too.....glad to hear that others appreciated the simplistic yet effective design. I gotta say I love the removeability aspect of this version with the velcro ties. I am figuring out a few additional improvements to the design which I will redo once I have worked out all the little hiccups.

were going to need a bigger dunk bucket :rofl: :nervous-guy:

If we can't do the bud wash in the 30 gallon trash cans, we are pretty much screwed. I don't think washing them in your pool is really an option :laugh::rofl:

Highya VS,

She looks like some of the DDa's being grown around. She certainly looks ready, dripping with trichomes! Great looking bronze lady!! Happy Smokin'

Hey Bode, good to see ya brother. Dark Devil is a strain I haven't grown out yet. I have a couple beans for them, but just haven't dropped any yet. Maybe I'll grow one outdoors next year!
I’m definitely using your bottle idea at some point. That combined with rolling trays should alleviate some pain.
You are going to love it when you do it. I have all my plants on 4 wheel rollers from Harbor freight. No more lifting and carrying! My back is a much happier camper these last couple weeks!

If we can't do the bud wash in the 30 gallon trash cans, we are pretty much screwed. I don't think washing them in your pool is really an option :laugh::rofl:

Hey Bode, good to see ya brother. Dark Devil is a strain I haven't grown out yet. I have a couple beans for them, but just haven't dropped any yet. Maybe I'll grow one outdoors next year!

You are going to love it when you do it. I have all my plants on 4 wheel rollers from Harbor freight. No more lifting and carrying! My back is a much happier camper these last couple weeks!
I just got the rollers, has to be easier.

Awesome Van!! Just awesome :)

I copied your water bottle setup for my first indoor grow! :thumb: - which was about 2 months after yours I think :)

nice to see it working again, and outside too, but especially nice to hear that it has proved itself quickly as invaluable :love:

Doing a new version myself has been in the back of my mind ever since... but think I may go auto pots instead. If I ever do a big pot outside I’m gonna try this tho. Like you I’ve had my share of outdoor watering pressures!

all your plants are wonderful! :yummy:

don't have mosquito bits here

High TC - not sure where here is for you. I’m in Aus and we don’t get the mosquito bits or mosquito dunks Here either but I have successfully bought the dunks at amazon.

I keep a 25L camping water reservoir in my room and always have a dunk in that and it works well. I’m like VS - mosquito dunks, yellow traps and fans. I have also used ‘Gnatnix’ in the past with success - but still aspart of the ‘multi-pronged’ attack.

Happy trimming Van :ciao:

I copied your water bottle setup for my first indoor grow! :thumb: - which was about 2 months after yours I think :)

nice to see it working again, and outside too, but especially nice to hear that it has proved itself quickly as invaluable :love:

Doing a new version myself has been in the back of my mind ever since... but think I may go auto pots instead. If I ever do a big pot outside I’m gonna try this tho. Like you I’ve had my share of outdoor watering pressures!

High TC - not sure where here is for you. I’m in Aus and we don’t get the mosquito bits or mosquito dunks Here either but I have successfully bought the dunks at amazon.

I keep a 25L camping water reservoir in my room and always have a dunk in that and it works well. I’m like VS - mosquito dunks, yellow traps and fans. I have also used ‘Gnatnix’ in the past with success - but still aspart of the ‘multi-pronged’ attack.

Thank you Amy! Very happy with how the girls are....err....I mean were doing. We're dark here now and on the tail end of that storm that just blew through and man did the girls get their asses KICKED today. At one point, I looked out and my beloved Super Silver Haze was sitting at a 45 degree angle in the 70mph gusts. Apparently the gusts broke the ties that were holding her (and a few other plants as well as I had to do some repairs earlier) to the bamboo. Got her tied back up and then Ms Stank and worked her downstairs off the deck and onto the grass. For some reason that extra 6 feet of elevation make a huge difference in wind strength. The ground level just wasn't getting the same force that the deck was.

I Had to pin the Afghani in the corner of the deck so she couldn't be blown over (from the angle it was mostly coming from). She probably got the worst of the ass kicking.

The Sour Cherries and Jack Herer barely batted an eye at the storm......every time a gust would blow the crap outta them, they would just bounce right back into place.

All the fenced in girls (Being the Stank Genetics stuff, plus the Sour Pineapple, Blue Dream with the bamboo cage, and the unknown strain clone ) seemed to be ok minus being blown free of their ties to the bamboo stakes. I got them secured again and we will hope for the best. Guess we will find out how they made out in the morning. I really thought when I looked out an saw her bent at full on 45+ degree angle that her top was gonna snap. Aside from that, she really barely batted an eye at it. Here she was right after that gust before I went out there......she doesn't seem to have a hair out of place lol.

Hey Amy :passitleft: Thanks for great tips. Multi-pronged attack is the way for these bastards. They seem to have a very hard to disrupt reproduction cycle but I'll keep suprising them with additional methods. The problem is the customs are terrible here. I can't order seeds for almost four years and now it is ever worse. We are not able to order anything without paying ridicilous custom duty because of a recent change in customs. I can get it delivered eventually but I don't like to spend that much time on the phone with shipping and customs employees. I'll have to pass on the mosquito bits for now.

Good news is that I found a DE manufacturer here and got myself a nice gal. There is only a single manufacturer here and I guess thats why I couldn't find this product for so long. I got high hopes for this product and I will apply it for the first time today. I will water my plants plenty then top my perlite layer with this DE. I will also use this one on my girlfriends cat and my ex girlfriends dog. The cat has a little too much flea but I am giving that to the dog in case she needs it in the future. This product is food grade and the manufacturer told me that pet-shops and some vets are their customers but still, they advise against the inhalation of this product. Its okay for your pets to lick few amounts though :)

I also have lots of sticky traps fans and a thick layer of perlite on top. Spinosad solved thrip problems very very quickly and I am expecting the same result from DE on gnats. If that doesn't work %100, I'll just go sterilise and mulch the medium then just go with bottom feeding. Lets see if they can still reproduce then :blunt:

Back
Top Bottom