Stanks Switch It Up In 2019

Not at the amount that I amend with. This stuff will be broken down relatively quickly. Its going to get 2 weeks before I use any of it anyways so it will be ready or still working on breaking down the previous plants roots.

I ran experiments this summer with the outdoor grows....where I ran unamended (Jack Herer), amended and up potted immediately (Sour Cherries), amended and sit for 1 week (Afghani), amended and sit for 2 weeks + (rest of the outdoor crops).

The only thing I really noticed out of the experiment was that the Jack Herer ran out of steam in late July and I needed to start top dressing and that the Sour Cherries was not happy for the first week or two in the immediately amended soil. She had some burnt leaves a couple days after up pot, but after a bit she really took off. The reamendment ratio was much higher than what I am using on the indoor plants, probably a good double if not triple what I did here. I think two weeks on a soil reamend and cook is sufficient at warmer temps.

I also want to reiterate that the amount of water that you use in the cook plays a big part. DON'T WATERLOG YOUR SOIL. I only use 5 gallons per batch of soil when I am mixing it up. If you overwater it, the herd doesn't get going and the soil doesn't break down and can become toxic. Cold temps and overwater, worst possible combo for making good soil.
So I do have a question, after amending the soil, and letting it cook for approximately 2 weeks, you plant directly into the amended soil? Or do you use it like your supersoil and only use the amended soil in the bottom third of container?

Great amending/reclaiming post Van. Wearing that GJOTM badge with pride! :high-five:

Nice variety pack for the upcoming grow... :nomo:
Thanks Shed! We had a couple mishaps and one no show out of that drop.

The G-13 Haze is up and going, as is the Black Domina. The mishaps came on the Kali China and the Jack Mist Tree. The Jack Mist Tree had an issue with the tap root getting caught up in the shell and not being able to break out on its own. I damaged it trying to break it out of the shell and it won't make it. That was a one shot bean as it was a freebie. The Kali China was doing great but I guess it struggled to break through the soil with the shell stuck and it bruised/damaged its neck and didn't make it. I do have another one of those beans that I will try.

The Slurricane looks to be a dude. She sank, but wouldn't crack. I applied a little bit of pressure and got it to crack and after 2 days it stuck its little tongue out at me and didn't do anything else. I'll throw it in soil but I don't expect it to do anything at this point. I don't have any more Slurricane beans so I'll be selecting something else for the Slurricane and Jack Mist Tree. I'll pick another Sativa for the Jack Mist Tree and another fairly even hybrid for the Slurricane. Within these two selections....I'll try to mix something old school and one of the newer strains. I'm leaning towards something landrace like or old school for the sativa and something new for the hybrid but like always, I change my mind.....A LOT lol.

So I do have a question, after amending the soil, and letting it cook for approximately 2 weeks, you plant directly into the amended soil? Or do you use it like your supersoil and only use the amended soil in the bottom third of container?

I plant directly in the amended soil. I have gone away from only using the bottom third and use the whole pot with my soil.
Another question, lol, where can I purchase the new ace c5 x kali china seeds from?
I'd look at ACE's site for that one....but not sure if they are doing business in the USA bud.

Another question, lol, where can I purchase the new ace c5 x kali china seeds from?
true north and the vault both carry ACE off the top of my head but I dont see the C5haze--KC on either place.

if ya web search
aceseeds en /wholesaler-list/
U can get a good list of sources ...I am not sure if the retailers have the C5xKC yet or what.:goodluck:

true north and the vault both carry ACE off the top of my head but I dont see the C5haze--KC on either place.

if ya web search
aceseeds en /wholesaler-list/
U can get a good list of sources ...I am not sure if the retailers have the C5xKC yet or what.:goodluck:
Thanks KB for the info. There is a list on ace's site of retailers, but I cant seem to find these specific seeds. I am looking to run 5 different long flowering sativas this summer with stanks soil recipe. I have two picked so far and was looking to add the c5xkc to the selection.

Morning all!

Sorry for the disappearing act over the last week. Things ramped up with the neck and shoulder area and I have been laid up for the last 5 days or so. Finally getting it to back off enough that I can look down at the computer and do some of my daily tasks.

I have no clue what I did to irritate it but it was miserable. Its still not completely recovered....and I can feel the nerves firing and contracting constantly but its at least a huge improvement over the past few days. Hopefully it will continue to trend in the right direction.

I can't remember the last thing that we talked about plant wise....but we got the Killer A5 Haze harvested last Thursday and she will be getting trimmed off the stem today (assuming the neck lets me do it). I was able to get some up potting done Monday, along with some watering but that was it. I have to do a lot of watering to do today. We are also getting close to harvest time on another Jelly Wifi plant.

I've got some pics I took the last time I was down in the tents but I haven't gotten around to posting them. Hopefully today I'll be able to get them uploaded and an actual formal update done today. Hope everyone had a great weekend and your gardens are happy, healthy, and green!:ciao:

Highya VS,

Sorry to hear about your being laid up. I'm glad you're getting better. Hope you continue! I always feel better after getting up and doing things again! Seems that you're like that, too. I'm always looking for the trigger when muscles get sore, as I try to use both sides of my body. Yoga helps too (at least it does with me). Looking forward to your updates! You always have gorgeous ladys! Happy Smokin'

Highya VS,

Sorry to hear about your being laid up. I'm glad you're getting better. Hope you continue! I always feel better after getting up and doing things again! Seems that you're like that, too. I'm always looking for the trigger when muscles get sore, as I try to use both sides of my body. Yoga helps too (at least it does with me). Looking forward to your updates! You always have gorgeous ladys! Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode! Yeah definitely on the upswing, though its admittedly slower than I like. I really need to get savvy on some intro Yoga stuff. I know that is the perfect type of exercise for my situation and would help immensely. And not to sound like a whiney little wench, but I'm also dealing a possible torn meniscus in the left knee and carpel tunnel in my right wrist. Freaking kills me take it easy....and I am NOT a good patient for 'recovering' or 'resting'. Seems every time I smoke I feel a bit better and want to get up and do any one of the 50 items on the TO DO list. Its not until a couple hours later that I feel the error of my ways. Stubbornness is both a blessing and a curse, of this I am certain :ganjamon:
Hey Van, I hope you keep feeling better and better. I deal with neck and shoulder pains flare ups too, so my heart goes out to ya! Healing vibes coming your way.
Hey HH, and thank you! If yours are anything what mine are like when they are really ramped up, I feel for ya!! Best description I can give is it feels like there is an electrical wire or charge that enters right in the upper middle portion of the back....think of where the shoulder blades meet the spine....and that charge will cause all surrounding muscle groups to start contracting constantly. I find my shoulders raising on their own, almost like doing a shoulder shrug and holding it at the high position. I continually try to force my muscles to relax but as soon as I stop forcing them to relax, they just tense up and contract. Doesn't take long and the lactic acid starts to build up and everything is a knotted up mess. Its really brutal and the only relief I can get is laying down flat (which I freaking hate laying down except for bed).
Hope you're on the mend Van. Take care of yourself...we'll wait! :nomo:

:cheesygrinsmiley:
I'm trying brother! Today was better than yesterday so everything is trending the right direction!

:ciao: Evening y'all!

Got down into the flower tent and did some water and fan leaf removal on the girls. That tent has really filled out nicely over the last few weeks. The BCP Is definitely hogging the most room of the bunch! Lets take a peek at what we have in there again.

The back left is the Green Crack from HSO, that is in a 7 gallon pot, and to the right of her is a Blue Dream also from HSO and also in a 7 gallon pot. Both are on day 42 since flip.

Blue Dream Colas and undercarriage

Green Crack

You guys remember the experiment we are running with the little 1 gallon Gelato right? Well she's still hanging in there. Can't say she's the prettiest plant I have ever grown but she is chugging away. She is on day 28 since flip to 12/12.

Gelato

Filling out the front of the 5'x5' is the Black Cherry Punch (front right) and the Stankberry (front left) which are both on Flip Day 33.

Black Cherry Punch

Stankberry

Gorgeous flowers comin in Van, as always. I just ordered a cherry strain for myself, they just sound too good.

Just a tip to try out when your muscles are flared - particularly to get those muscles between the shoulder blades to relax, is roll up a towel and lay on the floor with the towel along your spine. It’s the only way to actually allow those muscles to relax, just laying down flat doesn’t do it. I also roll up a medium sized hand towel and put it under my neck. So you essentially end up with a T shaped towel support. I won’t clog up your thread with any more info, but if you want to dm about it more, I’m an LMT and I can try to help you find some strategies to get that neck to stop bothering you so bad. Hope you keep feeling better!

Gorgeous flowers comin in Van, as always. I just ordered a cherry strain for myself, they just sound too good.

Just a tip to try out when your muscles are flared - particularly to get those muscles between the shoulder blades to relax, is roll up a towel and lay on the floor with the towel along your spine. It’s the only way to actually allow those muscles to relax, just laying down flat doesn’t do it. I also roll up a medium sized hand towel and put it under my neck. So you essentially end up with a T shaped towel support. I won’t clog up your thread with any more info, but if you want to dm about it more, I’m an LMT and I can try to help you find some strategies to get that neck to stop bothering you so bad. Hope you keep feeling better!
Hey HH, I've got something called a 'back roll' that is good for that, from time to time I lay it on the floor and align my spine along it and as you say just try and let the shoulder/back muscles relax around it. You can also lie across it and roll your back over it. I feel it is a good thing.

I’ve had to resort to a daily regimen of yoga type stretches which really does help, although so far only to a point. But my discipline is shit.
I did go through a few episodes where my shoulder and neck pinched up. Like I was shrugging but with only one side. I remember the first day I was like - is this really happening? Sort of embarrassing. By day two and three and four I was way beyond embarrassment in bed unable to move. Last year I ended up in emergency after lower back spasms had me on the floor for a whole day screaming.

As best as I can figure out, treating the symptoms is one can of worms, and treating the cause is a whole different one. I tend to look at all these spasm type episodes as symptoms more than root issues in themselves. So far the answers mostly seem to lie in yoga and tai chi type stuff. You know- old people exercises. :laughtwo:

Heavenly Hybrid I‘d sure love to hear anything you have to say as well or any links to resource.

Good luck Stank. Hope you can sort it out -and I’m sure you can.

You are not tying up my thread at all.....this is stuff that doesn't affect just me so any input that you can provide that might be able to provide any relief is welcome.

I haven't tried your T shape towel trick yet...but when I am done tinkering around for the day, I will likely give it a go! Thanks again!!:thanks:

As best as I can figure out, treating the symptoms is one can of worms, and treating the cause is a whole different one. I tend to look at all these spasm type episodes as symptoms more than root issues in themselves.
You hit it right on the head weaselcracker! I wasn’t planning on elaborating more, so if you want me to cut it out Stank, just say the word and I will zip it! But this is exactly the case. The muscles crying out in pain are the victims, being pulled on, stretched beyond capacity for long periods of time and then strained. Shoulder blades are a problem child for so many people because they are held in place by muscles, and not truly connected to other main bones of the body. It is also a very mobile, as needed for movement. Because of this, it is very easy for one shortened muscle to pull it to one direction and cause muscles in its opposing sides to be stretched and thus overworked.
0D05EF2F-4CC6-4953-B38F-69B4994DCD51.jpeg
Often what is painful are the overstretched muscles, people rub them and it gets relief, but the pain will come back again because the muscle that is shortened has not been addressed yet.

So here’s the answer - stretch what is shortened and strengthen what is long. Hopefully that makes sense.
Here’s an example, one I deal with personally:
52802BF7-1DBC-433C-AD19-EC5334525E03.jpeg

If the muscle near the bottom of the scapula (shoulder blade) is shortened (shown in red) it will rotate the entire scapula in a counter-clockwise direction. The areas circled in green is where you will feel the most pain, because that area is now being stretched and overworked in that stretched position. People will massage that area because that’s where it hurts, and while that is helpful to reduce pain, the real issue that still needs to be addressed is that shortened muscle in red. Until that gets attention, the cycle will repeat itself.

This is one example of the many directions the scapula can be pulled, and cause pain. Yoga is a solid approach because it stretches and strengthens because of the slow, holding of each position. It is also good because it can be modified for things like sore wrists, bad knee, etc.

I’ll go ahead and stop myself here, because I will talk about this stuff all day if anyone lets me. Lol. I hope that helps and I’m happy to answer any questions here, or in my thread too!

So here’s the answer - stretch what is shortened and strengthen what is long.
One last bit of information, if you are attempting to find a muscle that is shortened - it will be tender to pressure and uncomfortable when pressed on.
When a muscle is sore from being over stretched, you feel relief when someone presses it “hurts so good”. A shortened muscle will feel like it’s being attacked and you want to say “stop, stop! It hurts” even at a very light pressure.
Lol, this seems silly to explain this way, but it’s the best advice I can give for someone trying to address problem issues without me being able to be there.

Back
Top Bottom