Starting again, hello everyone

Sally Green

420 Member
Thought I would say hello and introduce myself, I'm Syn a middle aged stoner Mama, getting back into having a garden again after not having one for over 10 years!

Figured I would join the forums here to help with my research, it would seem a lot has changed and then again a lot has not. I'm in process of converting my heated workshop into an area that will accommodate two 10x10 tents. My tents are on the way, finished cleaning out the area getting everything painted despite using tents I want everything as clean as possible. I'll be running an ozone system outside of the tents, haven't really decided on which system yet something, that hopefully won't hurt my babies. I'm in the Northeast and unfortunately don't have the luxury of being able to have the garden inside the house. I've never grown with LED before but that's where I'm leaning this time, because of concerns of costs with powering MH/HPS and heat control issues.

If anyone has experience using tents with LEDs please feel free to send me a message I'd love to talk.

I'll be growing organic, as that's what I grew in the past. I'm still finalizing what seeds I want for this garden, looking for strains that will mesh well together and not be too problematic as I feel like I complete noob again when it comes to gardening. I'll start a grow journal in the next couple of weeks, super excited and super nervous at the same time!

Hi @SynasterGreens ! And welcome to :420:

Don't wait to start a journal; you can start and discuss your current equipment, what is on the way and what still needs buying/doing!

You're using equipment that I don't, but plenty here do and will drop by!

Welcome and good luck on your grow!!
Is this recreational or medical ? Only asking regarding seed selection!

Hi @SynasterGreens ! And welcome to :420:

Don't wait to start a journal; you can start and discuss your current equipment, what is on the way and what still needs buying/doing!

You're using equipment that I don't, but plenty here do and will drop by!

Welcome and good luck on your grow!!
Is this recreational or medical ? Only asking regarding seed selection!

Medical ❤️

Hi and welcome back to medical gardening!
Like you said a lot has changed and a lot hasn't. Some of the biggest changes have been the availability of equipment and information! Heck you can get almost everything off the Home Depot website?? What??
Probably should support the little guys and especially website sponsors but just as a statement of how easy it is now to get supplies, no more having to look over your shoulder at the hydro shop LOL.

I have been using LEDs and even 315 LEC indoors with great success, they've come a LONG way from being a "yeah right" gimmick to a serious grow light.
Unless you are dead broke do NOT get cheap chinese blurple lights off Amazon/ebay or anything that makes outrageous claims. Most of us now are using quantum board lights which are super powerful, efficient and very compact/tent friendly.
However if you're growing in an unheated building in a cold climate maybe a 315 CMH would be a good option as they are power and put off a little heat but not enough to cook your plants. Or even a mix so your heater won't have to work as hard?
Anyhoo, also seeds are way easier to get now. You might even be able to swap with other growers in the northeast? Some of the overseas seed banks had to get creative with their payments and only accept bitcoin etc, but more are becoming available domestically. Also, overseas shipping is a little wack with current events.
As far as strains, those have gone nuts lately as well. Maybe start with some familiar classics that meet your medical needs like some Afghan or northern lights for night time and something fun like blue dream or chocolope for daytime? Hmmm so many choices!
Good luck!

Indicas tend to be more on the body buzz, and is what I've found best for my nerve pain. Sativa tends to be more of a daytime/cerebral effect.
A member here called Sweet Sue has contributed much here to help medical users, I highly suggest taking a browse when you have the time to spare.

Hi and welcome back to medical gardening!
Like you said a lot has changed and a lot hasn't. Some of the biggest changes have been the availability of equipment and information! Heck you can get almost everything off the Home Depot website?? What??
Probably should support the little guys and especially website sponsors but just as a statement of how easy it is now to get supplies, no more having to look over your shoulder at the hydro shop LOL.

I have been using LEDs and even 315 LEC indoors with great success, they've come a LONG way from being a "yeah right" gimmick to a serious grow light.
Unless you are dead broke do NOT get cheap chinese blurple lights off Amazon/ebay or anything that makes outrageous claims. Most of us now are using quantum board lights which are super powerful, efficient and very compact/tent friendly.
However if you're growing in an unheated building in a cold climate maybe a 315 CMH would be a good option as they are power and put off a little heat but not enough to cook your plants. Or even a mix so your heater won't have to work as hard?
Anyhoo, also seeds are way easier to get now. You might even be able to swap with other growers in the northeast? Some of the overseas seed banks had to get creative with their payments and only accept bitcoin etc, but more are becoming available domestically. Also, overseas shipping is a little wack with current events.
As far as strains, those have gone nuts lately as well. Maybe start with some familiar classics that meet your medical needs like some Afghan or northern lights for night time and something fun like blue dream or chocolope for daytime? Hmmm so many choices!
Good luck!

Southern, my work shop is under the garage, home is built into a hillside. I did spray foam insulation where I could get to, the cement block, workshop is constructed from is completely filled in as well, it was built to double as a storm shelter. The heater is having no problem warming the shop, I've been preheating to get the chill off walls before the cold truly sets in.

I'm looking at several options as far as LED, definitely wouldn't buy some Chinese garbage off of eBay or Amazon. I haven't completely chucked the idea of using traditional MH/HPS either fully.

I have blue dream seeds on hand, with only having 10x10 to start with I don't want to overwhelm my garden with them, they tend to get really large. I'll probably grow out 2 or three of them, pop extra beans and choose the best ones. Just a matter of deciding what to grow alongside those, I like Indica dominant strains and a solid indica, cheese's are a favorite but hard to find a good one.

Whilel I do hold my medical card and I do use for medical purposes, I've been a connoisseur since well before it was legalized for medical anywhere, our dad's rule was when you can roll your own you can smoke it. That's the culture I grew up in lol and I'm 41 next week. I'll probably take the other guy's advice and start my journal sooner than later. There's bound to be sure solid info here.

That's amazing, wish my dad was a cool stoner!
maybe start only one blue dream seed and use her to fill some jars with herb to smoke while figuring out your next move? I'd say definitely a straightforward indica like northern lights

:welcome:

That's amazing, wish my dad was a cool stoner!
maybe start only one blue dream seed and use her to fill some jars with herb to smoke while figuring out your next move? I'd say definitely a straightforward indica like northern lights

It would be nice to just grow out a blue dream or two, unfortunately cost wise it wouldn't be worth it for me, also my oldest son who's just 25 was recently diagnosed with stage 4C colon cancer, what he thought was just digestive issues turned out to be that unfortunately. I'll be making RSO and giving much of the flower to him. Chemotherapy is going to be ugly for him even if it's only palliative we hope it will give him time to at least see his child born.

The garden should be up and ready in no more than the next 10 days, I have to make decisions soon, time matters.

It would be nice to just grow out a blue dream or two, unfortunately cost wise it wouldn't be worth it for me, also my oldest son who's just 25 was recently diagnosed with stage 4C colon cancer, what he thought was just digestive issues turned out to be that unfortunately. I'll be making RSO and giving much of the flower to him. Chemotherapy is going to be ugly for him even if it's only palliative we hope it will give him time to at least see his child born.

The garden should be up and ready in no more than the next 10 days, I have to make decisions soon, time matters.
Maybe you could find someone close by with some clones to give you a head start?

Maybe you could find someone close by with some clones to give you a head start?

This isn't really a pot friendly community, have only lived here just over a year (PA)
Only have met one other person who even uses mj. I can ask around back in Michigan I go up there often. I just worry about mites or other things that I would or could bring into my garden. Definitely something to consider if I could get clones soon. Until then it's dispensary

This isn't really a pot friendly community, have only lived here just over a year (PA)
Only have met one other person who even uses mj. I can ask around back in Michigan I go up there often. I just worry about mites or other things that I would or could bring into my garden. Definitely something to consider if I could get clones soon. Until then it's dispensary
check your inbox

welcome.png

Welcome to the forum @SynasterGreens :welcome:

Careful what you get for "free" ...I had a plant gifted to me :hmmmm: about 5 years ago, it was the gift that kept giving...yep, kept giving me mites and gnats, oh, and some mushrooms grew in the pot also :thumb:

Welcome to the forum @SynasterGreens :welcome:

Careful what you get for "free" ...I had a plant gifted to me :hmmmm: about 5 years ago, it was the gift that kept giving...yep, kept giving me mites and gnats, oh, and some mushrooms grew in the pot also :thumb:

Sounds awful! I've never taken a plant or clone from anyone, free or not. Seeds over the years I've taken, you can clean seeds thankfully.

Welcome, glad to see you have hope and growing your own medical treatment reinforces that hope. Amazing things happen with the help we get from canna as your family knows well. I'll be surprised if you dont have something in 6 weeks to show us that isnt awesome. GG

Welcome, glad to see you have hope and growing your own medical treatment reinforces that hope. Amazing things happen with the help we get from canna as your family knows well. I'll be surprised if you dont have something in 6 weeks to show us that isnt awesome. GG

Thanks so much! I'm getting everything set up fairly quickly, have taken some pics of the work in progress, will post those soon in my journal. Like many other gardeners that start over from scratch my budget is not tiny but it is not huge, so much researching to find budget-friendly products that will still do a good job. Really hoping the LEDs do well, I had to scrap my 10x10 tent idea and have reduced my size to a 5x9 to start, I didn't want bottom of the barrel LEDs but can't really afford 4 at once, I'll get going with the 2x 2000w and see how it goes.

Everything that I'm using will be listed in the journal. Most things I had left to get Will be arriving Sunday and Monday. So you're probably right within 6 weeks You're going to see some pretty cool stuff hopefully!! I'm starting from seed so this should be fun!

Back
Top Bottom