Starting autos in Living Organic Soil then in flower add nutes to harvest?

jimmybrewer

420 Member
I have three - 3 gallon bags with Natures Living Soil concentrate in the bottom 1/3 with Roots organic soil. Can I use this setup until flowering and then feed nutes like Mega Crop food + Flower Fuel to get them to harvest?
My current grow I am doing this as an experiment because they used up the organic food in the bottom 1/3 of the bag.
I have the next grow bags all mixed and ready to plant so I don't want to waste them if this procudure isn't recommended and I should just use Roots Organic soil + perlite + Mega Crop + Flower Fuel.
Can I let the plants use up the LOS and switch to a nute feeding schedule without any harmful results?
After these 3 bag auto grows are harvested can I reuse them again?

Zkittles auto day 82. Added Flower Fuel at half dosage today. Hopefully she'll revive. Running out of nutes in flower caused a slowed down growth rate plus necrosis on leaves. She grew fast and big in veg mode though. 24 - 0 light schedule. 3 gallon bags. Roots Organic soil + Natures Living Soil concentrate + worm castings + Dr. Earth's Flower Girl top dresssing. And stream water ph'd to 6.5.
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3844.JPG

Most living organic soils can easily supply the nutrients needed all through the grow, right up to the end. I suggest that you check your assumption that you ran out of nutrients... you more than likely simply killed off the microbes that came in the soil originally and then did not supplement new and active microbes periodically through the grow to keep the organic cycle going.

As soon as you give a readily available nutrient like MC or any of the many others, the organic cycle also stops and you might as well not even have formerly living organic soil in there for all the good it will do you... plain potting soil can hold up the plants just as well and much cheaper.

Let me give you a third option to ponder... stay organic. Start with your LOS and then supplement regularly with an organic feeding system such as @GeoFlora Nutrients, one of our sponsors here. With each application of the Geoflora comes a new load of raw nutrients to add to what is already in your soil, along with a fresh load of active microbes to process those nutes and feed them to the plant.

I believe that you could also simply use the LOS you have been using, and supplement just the microbes weekly by using an actively aerated compost tea, or one of the commercial alternatives such as Voodoo Juice, URB or Realgrower's Recharge. I think that any of these supplements would have saved your previous grows and not forced you to use synthetic nutrients when the organic process broke down.

Yes, you can re-use LOS several times, especially if you add a bit of the raw nutrients back in after each run... Check out Dr. Earth.

Most living organic soils can easily supply the nutrients needed all through the grow, right up to the end. I suggest that you check your assumption that you ran out of nutrients... you more than likely simply killed off the microbes that came in the soil originally and then did not supplement new and active microbes periodically through the grow to keep the organic cycle going.

As soon as you give a readily available nutrient like MC or any of the many others, the organic cycle also stops and you might as well not even have formerly living organic soil in there for all the good it will do you... plain potting soil can hold up the plants just as well and much cheaper.

Let me give you a third option to ponder... stay organic. Start with your LOS and then supplement regularly with an organic feeding system such as @GeoFlora Nutrients, one of our sponsors here. With each application of the Geoflora comes a new load of raw nutrients to add to what is already in your soil, along with a fresh load of active microbes to process those nutes and feed them to the plant.

I believe that you could also simply use the LOS you have been using, and supplement just the microbes weekly by using an actively aerated compost tea, or one of the commercial alternatives such as Voodoo Juice, URB or Realgrower's Recharge. I think that any of these supplements would have saved your previous grows and not forced you to use synthetic nutrients when the organic process broke down.

Yes, you can re-use LOS several times, especially if you add a bit of the raw nutrients back in after each run... Check out Dr. Earth.
I don't think I killed of the microbes since I only used water from a stream and rain water and ph'd to 6.5 Used vinagar and baking soda. Once in flower the problem showed up. Veg was vary green and rapid.
I read in forums that organic teas and dressings take a week or more to be available to the plant. I was in panic mode and went with synthetic nutes. I thought the plant couldn't wait around that long for food before dying. That was my conundrum.

My penny worth ,
baking soda can mess about with the medium , it can raise it over time like adding lime , its highly alkaline
7 - 12 gallon pots would be much better also i was in 5 gallon and needed bigger , i am now in 7 gallon
some people use vinegar and baking soda to kill bacteria and fungi ,
I have one plant my self i use a little baking soda on and got the same result and defs
Be careful with streams also , some farmers use man made ferts and it washes into our streams, i would say use the rain water :thumb: catch plenty when you can
P1140453.JPG

7 gallon doing better this one , ( so far )

P1140452.JPG

I don't think I killed of the microbes since I only used water from a stream and rain water and ph'd to 6.5 Used vinagar and baking soda. Once in flower the problem showed up. Veg was vary green and rapid.
I read in forums that organic teas and dressings take a week or more to be available to the plant. I was in panic mode and went with synthetic nutes. I thought the plant couldn't wait around that long for food before dying. That was my conundrum.
Organic teas do not feed the plant, they supply microbes. Those microbes, by processing the nutrients already in the soil, feed your plants. By pH adjusting an organic grow that didn't need pH adjusting (we only adjust for synthetic nutes), you DID kill off your microbes. Their lives are short anyway, and in my organic grows I have always been very careful to add to the microbe population at least on a weekly basis. It would have been easy to bring your plants back and save the grow, but you panicked... I have done exactly the same thing, and you completed the grow with synthetic nutes. A pat on the back for quick thinking and saving the grow... but as I said above... some of your assumptions are incorrect. Living and Supersoils are designed to get you through the entire grow.

Back
Top Bottom