Starting DCW from seed in clay pellets?

havoksgrow

Im trying to find some information on growing seedlings in a clay dwc. Ive got a couple seeds germinating, Ive got my bucket, air pump, net pots, clay pellets and general hydro 3 part.
Most of the guides Ive found talk about growing from clones or a couple week old rockwool cubes. Im trying to start from a germinated seed with a couple inches of root growth in a netpot with clay pellets. Ive read that you should start your net pot just barley touching the water at the start but since my seedlings arent in cubes will the clay that my seedlings are surrounded by dry out?

They mighy dry out, i would go and water them from the top 2 or 3 times a day just to make sure the clay pebbles dont get too dry for too long. Until you can see roots coming out of your netpot.

yep place water level a bit above the net pot, say like an inch. Every 3 days or so take out a bit of water until the water is the same level as the net pot. Eventually you should see roots coming out and when the roots are atleast 2 inches below the net pot, take the water level down to 2 inches below the net pot and that's the permanent spot for the entire grow. Make sure to wait for the roots to get long enough to be 2 inches below the netpot before you remove the water else you will be continuing to top feed 2 or 3 times a day manually. Once a root touches water, growth explodes and so do the roots. At that point, you no longer need to top feed as long as a root or more are touching water.

yep place water level a bit above the net pot, say like an inch. Every 3 days or so take out a bit of water until the water is the same level as the net pot. Eventually you should see roots coming out and when the roots are atleast 2 inches below the net pot, take the water level down to 2 inches below the net pot and that's the permanent spot for the entire grow. Make sure to wait for the roots to get long enough to be 2 inches below the netpot before you remove the water else you will be continuing to top feed 2 or 3 times a day manually. Once a root touches water, growth explodes and so do the roots. At that point, you no longer need to top feed as long as a root or more are touching water.
Should i just pour some of the solution thats in my bucket over the net pot a few times a day?

If you are running in above 72f water temperature without a water chiller, hydroguard battles root rot and turns the bad stuff into usable good stuff. I even had temp as high as 88f for a day and zero rot signs.

GH does stain your roots later on, to like a slightly light brown or goldish color so don't freak out haha

If you are running in above 72f water temperature without a water chiller, hydroguard battles root rot and turns the bad stuff into usable good stuff. I even had temp as high as 88f for a day and zero rot signs.

GH does stain your roots later on, to like a slightly light brown or goldish color so don't freak out haha
Yeah I was going to hit up my hydro store tomorrow and see if they had any. People say to start out nutes at 1/4 of the recommended strength but GH says 1/4 tbs per gallon for seedlings and 1 tbs later on. Is that what people mean or do they mean start off 1/4 of 1/4 ?

One fourth the size as what's listed but tbh I've noticed with GH it's pretty accurate. I say its safe to follow the feed schedule. If you notice white tips on leaves, back off via give water feeding 2 times in a row or just do 1/2 measurements.

For example my hydro is thriving damn good at 700 to 900 where the hydro late veg says the ppm should be 900 to 1200.
Yet in my soil I'm getting all leaves yellowing due to lack of nutes at 900ppm roughly

They are talking 1/4 strength of manuf suggested dose

Find the feed charts, not off the bottle, then go 1/4 of that then max at 1/2 strength

You can go higher strength but ya need to understand the plants needs 1st, so be careful with that

I always start my seeds in Rapid Rooters, i personally would never start seeds in clay for a few reasons. First you will never know when they are germinated until they break out and you will not necessarily see where the strong ones are. You can grow the seedlongs for some time in Rapid Rooters to harden the plant. Seedlings shouldnt be fed anything until the embryonic leaves are almost turning colors. If you do decide to feed them give them mild Clonex or mild very Rapidstart. The embryonic leaves are there to give the seedling what it needs for the first couple weeks. Anything more may seriously slow growth or even kill the seedling. Hope this helps

I have been growing RDWC for a couple years, the last season was 2 plants equally 27oz.

Not a fan of Rockwool personally.
Same. Super easy to rot your roots in a very important stage (germination/seedling). I use rooter pods and they work perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom