Starting water level in DWC?

cjsbabygirl313

Just getting my (2) 5-gallon DWC buckets ready to accept some seedlings in a week or so. Once I put my rapid-rootered seedlings into the hydroton, i’ll be starting off with a drip ring going for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at night to keep everything nice and moist. When do I drop the water level in the buckets from just AT the bottom of the net pot (when the roots are just coming through the net pot?) and how much do I drop that water level (roots IN the water or airspace between roots and water?). This particular question is where I need help - its going to be my 2nd ever grow and I want to avoid the problems I started with the last time.

I’m working on setting up my grow journal and just wanted to ask this before I get too deep into everything!

Hi CJsbabygirl

I'm not a DWC grower- but Tok is and recently posted this in another thread.

Hope this helps!
This is up for debate with many DWC growers, on water level. About 50 % will say an inch or two so below the net basket.

I favor about 1/2 inch below the basket, so I don't get a lot of cord roots.

I run my air pump 24/7, because you want your solution to have plenty of air or the water can become stagnant.

Hi CJsbabygirl

I'm not a DWC grower- but Tok is and recently posted this in another thread.

Hope this helps!
Thanks @Rexer !

@Tokin Roll - should my roots be IN water or ABOVE water at the start?

Hey sorry about the short reply earlier- daughter needed some help.

Start with the bottom half an inch or so from the cup. The goal and idea is to have the roots grow down, and into your reservoir. You should have an airstone in, the splashes from it should be enough to get the bottom of your net cup wet. The roots will follow down, and into the res...at that time stop top feeding and let them feed directly from the res.

Tok should be back on later tonight or tomorrow.

What size basket, how much hydroton?
6” net pot - hydroton to almost top

07F850F0-4415-40E7-B12E-6D69130F1F67.jpeg

Hey sorry about the short reply earlier- daughter needed some help.

Start with the bottom half an inch or so from the cup. The goal and idea is to have the roots grow down, and into your reservoir. You should have an airstone in, the splashes from it should be enough to get the bottom of your net cup wet. The roots will follow down, and into the res...at that time stop top feeding and let them feed directly from the res.

Tok should be back on later tonight or tomorrow.
Tx @Rexer !

Net cup, not much of a basket, was thinking along the lines of a 6-8" basket lid for 5 gal..
Yup - thats what it is! 6”

Now that i see the GH dripring, you won't have any trouble keeping the hydroton wet.. When you cut down the drip ring to fit the basket, you need to drill the same size holes in-between each of the existing holes. You also need to run your air pump 24/7, and you gain nothing running air stones.. Well you do get extra heat.. Drip on hydroton supplies all the O2 a plant needs.. Air stones will only add heat.. Check my Mixed Hydro thread.. You're running 2 DIY Waterfarms.. You can change the plumbing around and circulate a remote reservoir without adding an electric water pump... My waterfarm pimp thread is all about doing that..

Now that i see the GH dripring, you won't have any trouble keeping the hydroton wet.. When you cut down the drip ring to fit the basket, you need to drill the same size holes in-between each of the existing holes. You also need to run your air pump 24/7, and you gain nothing running air stones.. Well you do get extra heat.. Drip on hydroton supplies all the O2 a plant needs.. Air stones will only add heat.. Check my Mixed Hydro thread.. You're running 2 DIY Waterfarms.. You can change the plumbing around and circulate a remote reservoir without adding an electric water pump... My waterfarm pimp thread is all about doing that..
Thx @Dr Fish - I also just found my airpump blew up - after being on for only a couple hours!

One last monkey wrench - I agree totally with EVERYTHING above (and learned something from Toke about cord roots, as always). Some net pots are a lil different and function a lil different. The advice above works best for FLAT bottom net pots. They do have a lot of new-fangled net pots that have like a ‘valley’ that gets created of hydroton, and then the rockwool sits up a bit and the hydroton is supposed to wick a little better from both sides. I found i need to have the water a little closer to get the wicking action to work and stalled my babies once waiting for the roots to drop since I don’t top feed. But otherwise, DITTO, DITTO, DITTO. Just wasn’t sure which ones you were using. I just discovered the ones below and absolutely love everything about them EXCEPT cleaning them afterwards LOL
1634914456797.jpeg

One last monkey wrench - I agree totally with EVERYTHING above (and learned something from Toke about cord roots, as always). Some net pots are a lil different and function a lil different. The advice above works best for FLAT bottom net pots. They do have a lot of new-fangled net pots that have like a ‘valley’ that gets created of hydroton, and then the rockwool sits up a bit and the hydroton is supposed to wick a little better from both sides. I found i need to have the water a little closer to get the wicking action to work and stalled my babies once waiting for the roots to drop since I don’t top feed. But otherwise, DITTO, DITTO, DITTO. Just wasn’t sure which ones you were using. I just discovered the ones below and absolutely love everything about them EXCEPT cleaning them afterwards LOL
1634914456797.jpeg
Yup, mine are the flat bottomed ones (8” netpot/lid combo)

1634914456797.jpeg
The trick I use to clean off the roots of the net pots, get your self a new hacksaw blade, 32 teeth per inch and lay it flat against the side of the pot and cut them off. works great and, works fast.

1634914456797.jpeg
The trick I use to clean off the roots of the net pots, get your self a new hacksaw blade, 32 teeth per inch and lay it flat against the side of the pot and cut them off. works great and, works fast.

Back
Top Bottom