State Proposal For Medical Marijuana

Herb Fellow

The Michigan Coalition for Compassionate Care is seeking to legalize marijuana use for medical purposes in the state. The state Board of Canvassers has approved petitions collected by the group, and the proposal is pending in the Legislature. The Legislature has 40 days to pass the proposal into law. If no action is taken, it will be placed on the Nov. 4 general election ballot. Leaders in the House and Senate have said legislative action on the initiative is unlikely. Gov. Jennifer Granholm said she opposes the proposal.

Initiative

The proposal would allow for seriously ill patients, with approval of their primary-care physicians, to possess and use marijuana to treat their symptoms. Individuals and their physicians could not be criminally prosecuted.

Eligibility

Eligible would be those with a ``debilitating medical condition'' such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain, glaucoma, hepatitis C and debilitating symptoms from other diseases. It's estimated about one-half of 1 percent of Michigan residents, between 40,000 and 50,000 people, would be eligible for medical marijuana use.

Requirements

At least 18 years old; must register with the Michigan Department of Community Health and carry a state-issued ID card indicating registration.

Penalties

Users who sell their marijuana would have their ID cards revoked and be guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment of up to two years or a fine of up to $2,000, in addition to other penalties.

Amount

A registered user could have up to 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana at one time and cultivate up to 12 marijuana plants. The usable marijuana and plants would be kept in an enclosed, locked location.

Other cities, states

In Michigan, five cities - Ann Arbor, Detroit, Ferndale, Flint and Traverse City - have medical marijuana ordinances, while 14 states have a medical marijuana law. If voters pass the proposal, Michigan would become the first state in the Midwest to adopt such a law.

Source: Kalamazoo Gazette
Copyright: 2008, Kalamazoo Gazette

Soon we will have to focus on direct battering of corporations.

With this trend of decriminalization, the Big Industry Lobby will be pulling out all the stops. I suggest we find out who is supplying the lobby money and go after them in a direct media blitz. We boycott their products until they stop giving money to the anti-cannabis lobby.

Now I have to figure out where the disclosures are hidden in records.

start getting the biofuels bit played up if you can make ethanol or biodiesel or plastics easily from hemp we're sending the middle east lots of money that could be creating jobs and stuff here

on the medical bit start fussing about due process if god made our brains to be hardwired with receptors for both opiates and cannabinoids and opiates are legal and scheduled to allow medical uses
why is an entire species [cannabis ] denied the same due process
when it is less lethal than opiates

"Requirements

At least 18 years old; must register with the Michigan Department of Community Health and carry a state-issued ID card indicating registration."

Sometimes I can hardly believe I live in America. Why do I have to get on a government list to take medication??? They can't even fix the potholes around here, but they always seem to have the cash to put law-abiding people on lists.

:bongrip: Peace

Back
Top Bottom