Steelcurtain22: Soil, GSC - 2022

Also transplanting based on how both look at the drainage holes and currently some root growth slowly finding their way through, so yeah, won’t be long!

694B6849-D037-49C8-B050-17B16707C3CC.jpeg

963EDA2A-A029-4EB3-97ED-F9900EB92636.jpeg

Also transplanting based on how both look at the drainage holes and currently some root growth slowly finding their way through, so yeah, won’t be long!

694B6849-D037-49C8-B050-17B16707C3CC.jpeg

963EDA2A-A029-4EB3-97ED-F9900EB92636.jpeg
It is a myth that this signifies that it is time to transplant. Your plant is only as healthy as its roots, and my advice is to let the roots continue to grow in this container for a while, creating a solid rootball. If you transplant this early your roots will not be nearly as robust later when you want to go to bloom. When these roots are able to drain all of the water you can get the soil to hold in this container in a day or so, only then is it time to transplant.

It is a myth that this signifies that it is time to transplant. Your plant is only as healthy as its roots, and my advice is to let the roots continue to grow in this container for a while, creating a solid rootball. If you transplant this early your roots will not be nearly as robust later when you want to go to bloom. When these roots are able to drain all of the water you can get the soil to hold in this container in a day or so, only then is it time to transplant.
Okay, I’ll make note of this and let them establishment a solid root ball. Will water again once they are dry and focus on how long til they dry, thx Emilya!

Veg, day 11,Laverne & Shirley are looking healthy and happy. Emilya I took a page out of your link ‘how much water does soil hold’ and below is a pick showing their current weight. I last watered Monday and believe both after watering were 450g’ish. Lift wise they don’t quite feel light enough for watering, maybe later tonight?

14A5C56A-C98B-4A85-A2DC-F20E9CE04DE5.jpeg

47A91779-078A-4AA5-9F3E-F2270AF666F6.jpeg

B88B8717-58AE-4EAB-9554-67A096E2B4F4.jpeg

8A3761F1-61E7-4B12-8852-54BD5677C9B7.jpeg

9AFDF136-30E2-4369-93FA-0106A7024AC0.jpeg

8823205E-7465-4649-B832-1E2CC25039A5.jpeg

1C01A0FD-AA7F-4F24-8B59-4E3F17B7B1E8.jpeg

Do you have another pot you can fill with dry soil? If so, weigh that as your 'super dry' weight. That will give you an idea of how light it can get.

Do you have another pot you can fill with dry soil? If so, weigh that as your 'super dry' weight. That will give you an idea of how light it can get.
Thought I had few more of them, gotta check the garage but yes, exactly what I need to do. Haha good call though and believe it’s mentioned in Emilya’ link also. Well if I find a third pot you’ll know but also been pretty good at lift method, weighing was more of curiosity thing after reading it in emmies link.

it is very very hard to wait till it gets down to the super dry weight, but if you can stand it, it sure is a great way to grow new roots. In solo cups, as soon as I was within 75 grams of the super dry weight, I felt confident that I could water again with no harm... but if you can stand it to wait that extra 12-24 hours... it really is worth it.

Haha, after weighing them again, Laverne who is a little bigger is down to 283g and Shirley is at 307g. I also did a lift check and can tell their still not ready. So your absolutely right Emilya when you say “if you can stand it” because that’s really how I felt. I said twice to myself walking downstairs from the grow room “just hold out man, just hold out”! Lol

Veg, day 12, So busy morning as I made up a new 4l bottle of water with first veg dose of nutes. So what I’ve done with the PH Perfect Advanced Nutrient line in each of my last two grows and will this grow, is to only start with half of what the recommended dose is every watering. So for this stage they(manufacture) recommend 2ml per litre in all ‘Micro/Grow/Bloom’. So, for a 4l bottle of distilled water I do 1ml per litre totalling 4ml per bottle instead of recommended 8ml per bottle. I also use Cal-Mag every watering and do a quarter of what ever nutrients were put in, so for 4ml of nutrients I add 1ml of Cal-Mag which gets added first followed by Micro, Grow, Bloom in that order but no sooner than at least 20 minutes after I’ve added the Cal-Mag. Not sure it’s correct but it’s produced nice bud last two grows so why mess with it. Also, I never went higher than half the recommended dose throughout entire grows but will try and increase gradually depending on what the plants tell me. Any suggestions on this are very welcome. I also seem to struggle with RH at this stage. If under the propagation dome I can achieve 55% but now plants are to big. So had an idea just not sure it’s good. I went and bought a big clear plastic bin to allow the plants to grow bigger under. So basically just up’d the size of my propagation dome really. I added two vent holes at the top like a normal propagation dome has, just hope airflow is directed inside, again any input is very welcome. I put it to use and currently RH is at 58% with 78 degrees? Pics below. Oh and also label the girls with their first initials, lol. Forgot to mention as seen, I’ve weighed my pots for watering and seems these at dry point to be able to water next is about 250’ish grams, Emilya if you could say if that sounds fair to say. Shirley was still at 279 and didn’t feel ready yet but sure once she hits the 250g mark she will be. Laverne got watered just as you recommend Emilya , slowly and with purpose,.

C501CE77-D2B0-47A2-AD4B-952A4C69A228.jpeg

3FBE6F7E-F2CC-410E-BC23-D11F4CBC717F.jpeg

318AEB06-2BC1-4AFA-B6DF-B4C7990E7D20.jpeg

82895C88-0195-4F6D-AA7D-F3539AE5A56D.jpeg

They look good. Love the L&S initials :) You may find that you need more airflow for plants this size that the 'dome' can provide, though. Be careful they don't get too wet for too long or they can mold/rot.

Happy Growing.

Veg, day 12, So busy morning as I made up a new 4l bottle of water with first veg dose of nutes. So what I’ve done with the PH Perfect Advanced Nutrient line in each of my last two grows and will this grow, is to only start with half of what the recommended dose is every watering. So for this stage they(manufacture) recommend 2ml per litre in all ‘Micro/Grow/Bloom’. So, for a 4l bottle of distilled water I do 1ml per litre totalling 4ml per bottle instead of recommended 8ml per bottle. I also use Cal-Mag every watering and do a quarter of what ever nutrients were put in, so for 4ml of nutrients I add 1ml of Cal-Mag which gets added first followed by Micro, Grow, Bloom in that order but no sooner than at least 20 minutes after I’ve added the Cal-Mag. Not sure it’s correct but it’s produced nice bud last two grows so why mess with it. Also, I never went higher than half the recommended dose throughout entire grows but will try and increase gradually depending on what the plants tell me. Any suggestions on this are very welcome. I also seem to struggle with RH at this stage. If under the propagation dome I can achieve 55% but now plants are to big. So had an idea just not sure it’s good. I went and bought a big clear plastic bin to allow the plants to grow bigger under. So basically just up’d the size of my propagation dome really. I added two vent holes at the top like a normal propagation dome has, just hope airflow is directed inside, again any input is very welcome. I put it to use and currently RH is at 58% with 78 degrees? Pics below. Oh and also label the girls with their first initials, lol. Forgot to mention as seen, I’ve weighed my pots for watering and seems these at dry point to be able to water next is about 250’ish grams, Emilya if you could say if that sounds fair to say. Shirley was still at 279 and didn’t feel ready yet but sure once she hits the 250g mark she will be. Laverne got watered just as you recommend Emilya , slowly and with purpose,.

C501CE77-D2B0-47A2-AD4B-952A4C69A228.jpeg

3FBE6F7E-F2CC-410E-BC23-D11F4CBC717F.jpeg

318AEB06-2BC1-4AFA-B6DF-B4C7990E7D20.jpeg

82895C88-0195-4F6D-AA7D-F3539AE5A56D.jpeg
So now looking at the weight from last night to now, shows Laverne drank 53g of water where as Shirley only drank 4g. Seems like a fairly big difference but Laverne seems to be a little bigger also, so not sure?

They look good. Love the L&S initials :) You may find that you need more airflow for plants this size that the 'dome' can provide, though. Be careful they don't get too wet for too long or they can mold/rot.

Happy Growing.
Thx man, that’s exactly what I worry, so will keep an eye on it and thought maybe even to lift the front of it up an inch it’s so to allow air in underneath to create some airflow, might lower my RH but that’s fine, believe as long as I stay at 45-55% ish I’m okay. Yeah like to know who’s who, think it’s close to the L always on her shirts, lol.

Thx man, that’s exactly what I worry, so will keep an eye on it and thought maybe even to lift the front of it up an inch it’s so to allow air in underneath to create some airflow, might lower my RH but that’s fine, believe as long as I stay at 45-55% ish I’m okay. Yeah like to know who’s who, think it’s close to the L always on her shirts, lol.
Beauty is my grow room is our spare bedroom, so I’m hanging out watching tv in here. So I took the dome off and will just rotate it on and off for the afternoon. Works whiles I m just waiting to get back to work. In construction so off time right now but not for long!

Happy Growing.
So yep, watched as I tried a few different things and just not enough air flow with make shift larger propagation dome. So I have a fairly cheap humidifier, is their a decent one that would work well in my 4X4 tent? Also, trying to read more into RH and some put the humidifier outside the tent right at where the cold air intake opening is, or should it be in the tent as I’ve always had it? Just always face this issue at this time, drives me nuts!

A pail of water with an air stone does a good job of adding humidity in a tent. And it doesn't put calcium deposits everywhere. I have also tried hanging a wet towel over the cold air intake and draped in a pan of water. It works for me but I have a powered air intake. You have room for a tray of water in the tent right now too.

A pail of water with an air stone does a good job of adding humidity in a tent. And it doesn't put calcium deposits everywhere. I have also tried hanging a wet towel over the cold air intake and draped in a pan of water. It works for me but I have a powered air intake. You have room for a tray of water in the tent right now too.
I’d like to introduce the newest member of the cast, should help me out tremendously! Thanks for all the ideas LKA, I was actually boiling water and placing in two small trays as well as half a jug of hot water, works but doesn’t last too long, so constantly making trips up and down the stairs. This is a warm mist humidifier I can run steady, clean once a week and does the same but better.

C7F82AE5-AB06-4000-B81E-A7A374902C37.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom