stem split while LST ing

Red-Cricket

Howdy all, While tying down my plants, the stem split. Main stem is 1/4" dia and split 1/4" down. Others wanted to split also. Will this be OK? Thanks

i was told to put a piece of tape on it to keep it together... they said it would heal back up perfectly

Thanks all, I used LST and pulled mt "Y" branches outward causing them to split. Am I doing this correct? Plants ARE responding well...Kinda had me worried. Thanks again! Red

Thanks all, I used LST and pulled mt "Y" branches outward causing them to split. Am I doing this correct? Plants ARE responding well...Kinda had me worried. Thanks again! Red

When pulling "Y"'s apart you must be extra careful as you may wishbone the branch as you found out. My be worthwhile to support the Y with some tape or string before hand.

TKS Mcbudz, Yes good tip. I took cuttings then LST. Really need to go to bigger pots, using 6" pots now. Plants are about 6" tall before LST. I ll need to un-tie and re-tie in bigger pots. thanks again for your time Red

One of my children split by accident and now its ok. i WAS worried but now, its hard to tell the main broke. it just swoll up and the growth contenues....

Have to chuckle, I don't think anyone that grows hasn't wish boned a topped plant, and experienced that sinking feeling the first time we did it. Probably why I stopped topping:ganjamon:

Have to chuckle, I don't think anyone that grows hasn't wish boned a topped plant, and experienced that sinking feeling the first time we did it. Probably why I stopped topping:ganjamon:

instead of pulling aprt pull them towards and past each other.. Almost like if you were about to tie them in a knot.. Its safer on the joint.

Good tip Mc Budz, never thought of that. My plants are doing great but i was kinda worried for while. Also noticed the stems are really turinng purple on the broken plants, but doing well. thanks for your time Red

tie down when to the beginning point of tention, wait a couple few days, tie it further, etc. dont try to do it all at once, gradually. good luck.

great point mcbudz. ive actually done that on a few of my most recent bends but didnt consider mentioning it in this thread

as lots have said already, those "wishbone bends" are sensitive. when those stems get stiff...just like wood you need to consider the grains and where they will split.

i made a few horrible snaps myself but just repair them quickly and tie em as close together as you can and in a few days they will be like new.

ive been messing around with a new technique to avoid the snapping as well as the time it takes to LST Coming along nicely

and the purple is a sign of shock, should go away in a week or so. when you tie the tops the plant will adjust and get the tops back pointing up, when this happens tie a bit further down the stalk, repeat, this will help ya not bend and split the stalk.

Back
Top Bottom