Stevehman's 780W LED - DIY 4 in PVC Recirc - Caramlicious Grow

Re: stevehman's 780w LED, DIY 4 in PVC recirc, Caramlicious Grow

Steve, very nice setup and very nice buds! :welldone:

As a noob, led, hydro guy, I'm definately subbed for this! :popcorn:

Best wishes for another healthy harvest!

@ Bandit420, thanks, it may look high-tech, but the system is actually pretty low tech. I am trying to make it as simple as possible to maintain. My first two goes at it were more complicated, this one is just a step above a bubble bucket in simplicity. I have plans for grow 4.0 and will do a step-by-step of the design and build sometime next month.

@Mr. Kip, thanks for subbing. I have been following some of the LED grows here by a few of the master growers and they inspired me to do a journal. I'm not sure how much new information will be passed, but you will have a chance to see what is possible in a small space with LED and Hydro techniques. This space is only 2x6x4 (it was 2x4x4 for the last grow. I had the moms in the additional 2 foot space). From the last grow I pulled 3/4 lb from that tiny space with some very respectable looking colas. Trying to up the yield at least 50% on this one.

Something I noticed and I'm very intrigued by is that it looks like your leds are on a rack rather than hanging individually.
That's something I've been looking into. I would like to use a rack with a powered hoist up top to raise and lower the lights by pushing a button.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas for sure!!
Thanks for posting Bro!!
:goodjob:

@Mr. Kip, thanks for subbing. I have been following some of the LED grows here by a few of the master growers and they inspired me to do a journal. I'm not sure how much new information will be passed, but you will have a chance to see what is possible in a small space with LED and Hydro techniques. This space is only 2x6x4 (it was 2x4x4 for the last grow. I had the moms in the additional 2 foot space). From the last grow I pulled 3/4 lb from that tiny space with some very respectable looking colas. Trying to up the yield at least 50% on this one.

Same here! I never thought I'd start a journal, but learned so much for the growers here, I had to give back to the community. I'm also in very limited space, basically a 2'x4' DIY cabinet that's split into veg and flower sides for a perpetual grow. I'm also using hydro & LED (for flower!), so I'm looking forward to learning more from watching your grow. :goodluck:

Stevehman - I like your thinking. Keep it simple, and hopefully a more hands off method. Some of us travel a good bit for work and would have to leave things on their own for a few days each week. Never grew for that reason. Been looking at some RDWC systems to solve this. Keep it up - looks great so far.

Nice set up, I'm currently thinkinkg of which system to build for my 76x76x76" tent. This is one of the exact systems that are on the top of my list. I think I could proberly fit two systems with three lengths of pvs connected by two 90's to make a u-turn. I'll proberly put an air stone at the end of each length of pipe for added aeration, and damn it up at the end similar to what you did with the drain piece. Great job, thanks for helping me decide by showing us your great set up. I'll be using eithor a 1000w on my light rail, or a 1000w and 600w hps for lighting though, as thats what I currently have for lighting. I'll be following on with ya, good luck!
Peace,
NEPharmer

Stevehman, great journal thus far. Def digging your setup and the thought you've put in behind it. I'm def sub'd in and will be following for the long haul. Thanks for posting measurement details of both the plant and environment. I'm in the process of acquiring caramelicious seed and will be following closely to how she does for you. May each of your ladies be full figured gals.

Here are some updated pics of the gals. Funny that they are all cloned from the same mom, yet some are taking off like there's no tomorrow and some are putting along. Also a few are displaying some purpling of the stems, while others are not.

I am going to buy some colored neoprene cloning discs (30 pack, 5 colors for $14.99--not sure if the seller is a sponsor, PM me and I'll send you a link) so I can do a little study on how clones from different parts of the plant behave given the same environmental conditions. Some of these were taken from the tops and some from the sides, I am guessing the clones from the tops are growing more vigorously than the ones form lower on the mom.

Also, the grow has the three LEDs in there, (2) 300s from GLH and (1) 180 from Advanced. The Advanced is on the right side cover that 1/3 of the grow. I don't see a huge difference in growth rate from the two lights. I am thinking though that the 300s are way overkill for this size space. Three of the 180s would be fine, but what the hell, the girls aren't complaining--yet.

So here are the pics of the gals, day 10 in bloom (straight clone to bloom, no veg cycle).

Baseline plant (she still needs a name):
DSC_8503.JPG

The rock-star of the group:
DSC_85051.JPG

One of the gals from the right side under the Advanced 180:
DSC_8506.JPG

This one is a bit odd, the is actually a clone that I had in Grow 2.o. She never got enough light being overshadowed by the big girls, I put her in with the moms until Grow 3.0. She's almost like a bonsai tree. Same genetics, just in miniature. She is stacked with nodes about 1/4 inch apart and tons of bud sites. Maybe she'll be one big-ass cola?
DSC_85071.JPG

Here's a quick peek at the roots. They're doing great. I think unless something takes a turn, I will stopping f'ing with them and leave them alone.
DSC_8508.JPG

And lastly a shot into the tube, white roots and clean nutes (didn't mean to make a rhyme, but it was Dr. Suess' Birthday last week).
DSC_8510.JPG

Thanks to everyone following and giving support.

Almost forgot, Today's measurements.
pH 6.04
ppm 1060 (after topping up)
Temp 76
RH 62

The girls are drinking about 2 gallons a day. I will be adding a top-up res with a float valve to keep the nute levels constant. I don't know if adding 2 gallons of R/O water all at once makes for a dramatic swing in pH and ppm, but I figure adding it gradually as they drink will be less stressful. Also, it will help with my fire-and-forget principal. I will probably use one of those pet-food storage containers, they're food grade, strong, and fairly cheap (just google vittles vault, Amazon has some good prices on them, up to 20 gal). I will be using one as the control res for my undercurrent setup for my mom tent. Stay tuned for the DIY post next month.

Stevehman, great journal thus far. Def digging your setup and the thought you've put in behind it. I'm def sub'd in and will be following for the long haul. Thanks for posting measurement details of both the plant and environment. I'm in the process of acquiring caramelicious seed and will be following closely to how she does for you. May each of your ladies be full figured gals.

Jax,
The caramelicious is a very tolerant plant, I abused the last grown and they still delivered. The only downside I found was that the Dispensary said they weren't "stanky" enough. I think they smell great, very caramelly. My friend tested them and said they tasted great, but the high was too much for him. Although he's not a daily smoker.

I still have 4 of the original 10 seeds, I was 100% on the 6 I sprouted, although only 3 were girls (they weren't femmed seeds). I just placed an order with the Attitude seed bank, all femmed seeds. I will be sprouting them once I get them in and plan on vegging out some moms so I can take clones 2 weeks before this grow ends. And then another clone-to-bloom cycle (maybe 3 varieties with 6 clones each).

Same here! I never thought I'd start a journal, but learned so much for the growers here, I had to give back to the community. I'm also in very limited space, basically a 2'x4' DIY cabinet that's split into veg and flower sides for a perpetual grow. I'm also using hydro & LED (for flower!), so I'm looking forward to learning more from watching your grow. :goodluck:

Nice set up, I'm currently thinkinkg of which system to build for my 76x76x76" tent. This is one of the exact systems that are on the top of my list. I think I could proberly fit two systems with three lengths of pvs connected by two 90's to make a u-turn. I'll proberly put an air stone at the end of each length of pipe for added aeration, and damn it up at the end similar to what you did with the drain piece. Great job, thanks for helping me decide by showing us your great set up. I'll be using eithor a 1000w on my light rail, or a 1000w and 600w hps for lighting though, as thats what I currently have for lighting. I'll be following on with ya, good luck!
Peace,
NEPharmer

The great thing about this type of system is that it is scalable to almost any size. It can fit into a 2x2 space or an 8x8 space. I found the 4 inch PVC at the Ace hardware. Lowes only had HDPE in 4 inch. A 10 foot section was about $8 and the elbows are about $2 ea, the drain cap and end cap were about the same. I thought about using the 5 inch square fence post material, it is made of vinyl though and they don't make elbows for it, so you would be doing more of an aeroflow type setup. If I can find a source of 6 inch PVC that would be my preference, but I am still working out plans for grow 4.0. The beauty of PVC is that it is so cheap and easy to work with.

As far as I can see the only real challenge of going bigger is res capacity and flow (not sure how much resistance the roots will create and how much of a drop per run you would need). Maybe 2 or 3 systems in the 76x76 space .

I was also thinking of doing two systems like yours, and a one or two pipe system going around the tree walls, leaving the wall with the door open and pipe it to a res just outside the tent. That would really max it out, but it would be pretty crowded in there,, so I'll proberly star out with the two like I said before, this definately seems to be the easiest system to build, besides DWC buckets which have always been my favorite.

I was also thinking of doing two systems like yours, and a one or two pipe system going around the tree walls, leaving the wall with the door open and pipe it to a res just outside the tent. That would really max it out, but it would be pretty crowded in there,, so I'll proberly star out with the two like I said before, this definately seems to be the easiest system to build, besides DWC buckets which have always been my favorite.

If I had the space I would have gone with an undercurrent design DWC (all DIY, I found great prices on buckets and uniseals). I think I will use a DWC setup for my mother then since I will only have 4 in there and a small recirculating bucket system will fit just fine. If I used bucket in my current space I would only be able to get 8 in there, the pipe system allows me to get 18 plants for a SOG grow.

I definitely am not attached to any one system, I am looking for the easiest, low maintenance and hands off approach, and so far this and a DWC system seem to fit the criteria. Particularly when I travel for work and may be gone for 4-5 days at a stretch, this gives me the flexibility and peace of mind that things will be doing well while I'm away.

I saw another grow that looks very similar to this one, although he's using drippers on his as well. If I can find the journal I'll post a link. It looks very "shiny"

Stevehman - I am building a RDWC system myself...only can find the white EZ Stor buckets. You foudn the 8/13 in black anywhere that doesnt require you to buy an entire pallet? Worse case I will buy a pallet and sell the rest on eBay, but prefer not to go that route.

I am going to buy mine from plainlabelbuckets.com they are 2.98 a piece in any color and lids are $0.94 each. You have to buy 18 at a minimum, but still not too bad (and it gives you plenty of room to grow). Not sure about shipping costs.

I looked at them before and those 4 gallon square buckets, but I feel those are too small (at least for what I plan on doing). The EZ Stor brand tend to be thicker and in 8 gallon and 13 gallon sizes and come in white, black and blue. These are the ones that Home : Current Culture Hydroponics, superior hydroponic systems. uses in their system, so you have the benefit of being able to purchase different style pre-cut tops from them directly.

I agree that larger is usually better, I'm in a size restricted space, so for me the 4 gal size would be best. I plan on going clone to bloom so I won't be growing large trees. I have a complete set of hole saws and don't mind cutting my own lids, and at less than a $1 ea, I can order several to fit different layouts.

I think that one 3" net pot in a 4 gallon container using an undercurrant style design would be adequate for the grows I'm doing. Even if I had a ton of space, I would still probably go with the 4 gal size for a SOG grow. I used to do large salt water aquariums and there is a similarity in the concept. As long as you have good flow and aeration you should be fine. And if you don't plan on vegging them out you shouldn't have massive root balls to muck up the works.

But if I could grow outdoors, then the 13 gallon would be the way to go. z

You can take clones and go straight to bloom? Don't you need to let some roots grow? Did you clone before switching the mothers to 12/12?

I put them in a cloner first, they are there for about 3 weeks. It takes about 5 days for the roots to start showing and then I let them grow out under very light nutes for 2 more weeks so they have some healthy looking roots and some new leaf growth. They grow about 2-3 inches taller in that time and that is when I throw them into the bloom box under 12/12.

I keep them in the transition nutes for 2 weeks and then on to the full bloom schedule. I pretty much follow the feeding table on the Cutting Edge Solutions and they seem to do alright. I only add about 1/4 strength of the other supplements during transition (Silica Blast, Cal Mag Plus, Sweet, Liquid Karma, Hygrozyme).

Later today I will be changing out the res to the full bloom blend. I never do a 100% res dump, just about half to two-thirds. that way the plants aren't shocked into a whole new nute profile, it gradually builds up. I don't have any science to back that up, but it's the same principal with aquarium systems. A plus is that you aren't dumping a whole res of useful nutes.

Back
Top Bottom