Stevehman's Advanced LED 360 vs. 180 - Multiple Strains - NFT Grow 4.0

IMO the magnums are way over priced.

I've run 2x Blackstar 240's. They are a good light for the $. fans are loud though, and heatsink isn't really finned, just a flat plate. Draw about 130w ea.

I just ordered a few Area51 leds. Hopefully, the guy aint jerk'in me around and they are all they are cracked up to be. If so should be >Advanced led for a bit cheaper.

Go with 357 magnum plus. Great led light that they say is equivant to a 600w hps and only uses 180 w. I'll have my story up with what one 357 magnum led light will give you.

the website states 357w actual draw. with 230 led's this equals 1.6w per led avg. Thats .3w less than Advanced and GS. As well, they state it replaces a 1000w hid? lol. please.

I'll be posting my results in about 12 days so we'll see what one magnum 357 will put out. Btw bassman have used a 357 magnum led light??

No MM88 I have not used a 357 led. I do use LED and am a fan. However, I also study it a bit and the math is very simple. The company is driving them at .3w less than Advanced LED and GS drive their 3w lamps at. If they did in fact drive them at the 1.9w avg that would mean 69 more watts putting them at 426w and much more intensity. Further, they state "230 x 3w triple stacked diodes". This suggests 3x 1w diodes per led rather than 1 single 3w which seems to be more "the standard" of the industry.

Also consider that you mentioned price. Yet the cost per watt is far more with yours if we look at GS and Advanced.

Advanced LED 400w (actual 350w draw) = $2.76 per watt.
Grow Stealth LED 600w (actual 550w draw) = $2.45 per watt (they dont have a 400w so I sued the 600w comparison)
MagnumPlus 357 (357 actual power draw) = $3.36 per watt.

I'm not saying they are a bad light by any means. I am only stating the simple math. And I am sure other led users will agree, 357 watts of LED will not replace 1000w of hid. It's just not going to happen at this time, and when a website states that, I tend to believe they are being less than truthful or lack any real knowledge.

It would be nice to see a chart with the LED = HPS comparison. I haven't been able to fine one.

like a 3 x 3 room needs an 180LED or 400w HPS etc. Or what ever it is supposed to be.

I must admit it was a noticeable difference in the buds switching from a 400w HPS to a 600w HPS, but the heat is a pain.

I read to many different opinions online about what size LED one would need to equal an HPS.

I don't want to take a step backwards in lighting.

Hashhound,
Such a chart would be manufacturer specific, but I will tell you this for sure--anyone that tells you 400w of LED = 1000w of HPS is lying.

If you tell me what size room and style of grow you have I can give you a better idea of what "I think" would work. You will of course have differing opinions from other members as well. But I can tell you what has worked for me in several different set-ups.

It's a bit subjective HH. Mostly because there are huge differences in LED companies. There are plenty with really wild claims of what they will replace, while the next company may suggest a more realistic figure. It gets much more involved than that of course too. Such as 3w single chip v 3 chip, 11 spectrums vs 5, 7, or 9 spectrums. etc.

One could not really chart comparisons without spending many thousands of dollars on many different lights. As well as the huge time sink involved in grow comparisons.

Hash, Yes I am. Stevehman uses Advanced LED, in smaller wattages but more lights for his growing style. I use GrowStealthLED in the 600w Pro-Bloom for my taller fewer plants style. Both are sponsors here at 420mag.

HH, I've come to the conclusion you need about 30-40w/sq ft of LED. So about 60-75% of the light watts you would in comparison to HPS.

this is NOT confirmed by me, just through my research into grow journals, grams per watt yields etc... Kind of came up with that.

I've been recommending 40w per sqft as my baseline. I've done a few grows with more and less and think that is the sweet spot.

HH, I've come to the conclusion you need about 30-40w/sq ft of LED. So about 60-75% of the light watts you would in comparison to HPS.

this is NOT confirmed by me, just through my research into grow journals, grams per watt yields etc... Kind of came up with that.

I have about 7sqft meaning 7x40=280 minimum.

So if I round up to 300, and figure anything between there and the 600w I am at now, I save electricity and get more growing power?

another question;

how close do you keep LED's from the plants? Is it the same like with HPS, the more watts the farther away? Or is it like CFL's and you keep them real close?

Keep them 24-30 inches away for seedlings and new clones. Once the plants have had a chance to acclimate to the intensity of the light (depending on which brand you buy) you can move them 18-24 inches for the remainder of the grow. Any closer than 12 inches and you will get bleaching and burning (at least with the better quality lights).

I have had luck with starting mine at a set height of 36 inches above the clones and going 12/12 from day one. By the time the clones are done with their stretch they're about 18~20 inches from the lights and that's where they seem to do best. I don't make any height adjustments in this setup. The only times I've had to in the past was when I allowed them any extra veg time before the flip.

So, my recipe for LED success is; SOG, 4~6 inch clones, straight clone-to-bloom, lights set at a static height of 36 inches at day one of 12/12.

I have about 7sqft meaning 7x40=280 minimum.

So if I round up to 300, and figure anything between there and the 600w I am at now, I save electricity and get more growing power?

another question;

how close do you keep LED's from the plants? Is it the same like with HPS, the more watts the farther away? Or is it like CFL's and you keep them real close?

Keep them 24-30 inches away for seedlings and new clones. Once the plants have had a chance to acclimate to the intensity of the light (depending on which brand you buy) you can move them 18-24 inches for the remainder of the grow. Any closer than 12 inches and you will get bleaching and burning (at least with the better quality lights).

I have had luck with starting mine at a set height of 36 inches above the clones and going 12/12 from day one. By the time the clones are done with their stretch they're about 18~20 inches from the lights and that's where they seem to do best. I don't make any height adjustments in this setup. The only times I've had to in the past was when I allowed them any extra veg time before the flip.

So, my recipe for LED success is; SOG, 4~6 inch clones, straight clone-to-bloom, lights set at a static height of 36 inches at day one of 12/12.

Hi Steve,
I have a question about the clones etc... I'm attempting to dial in my SOG and either 2L hempi's or 1 gal pots. I'm running some different strains and some have a 2-3x stretch and some seem to be 1.5-2x stretch. The way you describe your lighting height and static position is what I'd like to do, and have setup, but I'm a bit worried that the lower stretch plants won't get enough light. Should I veg them a week or two to get them up to a height where the "then stretch" would put my canopy to my goal distance from the lights ie 18-20 inches? Mine I think should be about 24-30" due to different light, but same principle in "adjusting for the stretch"???

New to this and respect your advice

Back
Top Bottom