SteveHman's Advanced LED Diamond Series - Lucy & Sage - Grow 6.0 - NFT

Again yet another question. I canʻt really set up my tent until after the holidays since we will have people at the house for parties. I have two in the dome starting out. I actually put them under the 180w led in the bathroom to see what happens, just straight on the floor. You think they will do ok??? planning on just growing them to about 12+ inches then putting them in a big 7 gal pot outside and seeing what happens, then after holidays try the tent and get serious. i have one right now that is about 8 inches tall, a seed i knew nothing about but i think its a male.

Steve if i were to grab another 180w do you think i could pull it off with the tent i have. Also would you recommend BPN for soil.
If you already have seeds cracked and won't be able to put them into a tent until after the holidays, that may pose a few problems. They will be pretty large in a few weeks. You will need to manage their size somehow, through pruning, LST, low nutes etc...

The 180 will be able to take care of the two plant you currently have and adding a second to your tent is a good idea. I still think you'll eventually want a third later on though.

I you put them outside after the holidays, they will most likely go into flower mode, I don't have any experience with outdoor grows, so I can only guess they will be quite a bit bigger than if you had them in a tent during that time. It may create its own issues.

I would consider using the two you have going now as moms to work on your cloning technique for future grows, it will really cut down on your cycle time if you can master that.

Well, it looks like I cannot reply to a pm you sent me. So, I'll post my questions on here if that is O.K. Feel free to respond however you would like. And, I apologize ahead of time if you have already discussed the answers to these questions somewhere in your journals; I've done my best to research this. Here they are:
My questions that I have are about hiding/masking marijuana smell. I know that some solutions to the problem of smell are onagel, ozone generation/manipulation, and getting a charcoal/carbon filter (things you suggest in other journals/threads). I plan to have an inline fan and filter, but I was wondering how effective it is in masking/hiding the smell. To be more specific, I have listed my questions below:

1. How effective is a charcoal/carbon filter? That is, if I were to breathe/smell the filtered air blown/vented from the filter from an inline fan, would I be able to smell marijuana (disregarding strain smell differences)?

2. You mention in a post that you vent through your roof, and I've read in another post that you need to vent 3-4 stories above the sidewalk for passersby not to smell the marijuana in the filtered air. I was wondering how far above the sidewalk a roof/chimney vent venting filtered air would need to be for there to be no chance that anyone walking in my neighborhood/within 100 yards of my house of would smell marijuana in the filtered air?
The charcoal filter is very effective. You can't smell any hint of MMJ from the exhaust. You will need to replace the filter on an annual basis or figure out how to replace the charcoal inside it.

I have one grow space that vent through my attic vent (2 story house) so the odors are carried away by the breeze. The other grow has the charcoal filter and is vented out an open window, although presently the temps are low, so the window is closed and you can't smell anything.

So far the only time I've had strong odors is when I've been trimming, then the whole house stink--bad. I place a tub of Onagel in the intake side of my house's AC system and then just run the whole house fan system to spread the Ona around. Not a big fan of the smell of that stuff though. I also have an Ozone generator on back-order and hope it is here before the next chop.

Subscribed. Good to see the low-dollar cloning approach, now that I've spent all the money to build myself a DIY aero-cloner. :high-five:

Edit: and now three pages in, I haven't even started my first grow and I'm already mentally planning 2.0 and beyond.
I built a DIY aero cloner, and had good success, then bought the 60 site ezcloner, 100% success, but a pain to clean. So, I tried a low-cost approach and got 100%. I will continue to use both methods depending on what my plans are for the clones. I just wanted to see if I could master another skill and found out that cloning isn't as difficult as everyone seems to make it out to be.

Hey guys, I am new here so forgive the silly question, but what is NFT? I am assuming its a nutrient line?

Niners feckin Touchdown!

- or -

Nutrient Film Technique

I can't remember

Edit: a youtube of the idea:

If you already have seeds cracked and won't be able to put them into a tent until after the holidays, that may pose a few problems. They will be pretty large in a few weeks. You will need to manage their size somehow, through pruning, LST, low nutes etc...

The 180 will be able to take care of the two plant you currently have and adding a second to your tent is a good idea. I still think you'll eventually want a third later on though.

I you put them outside after the holidays, they will most likely go into flower mode, I don't have any experience with outdoor grows, so I can only guess they will be quite a bit bigger than if you had them in a tent during that time. It may create its own issues.

I would consider using the two you have going now as moms to work on your cloning technique for future grows, it will really cut down on your cycle time if you can master that.

Absolutely awesome advice again as usual steve. I think i should try to clone, never did try, would save some $$$ with seeds too. Only thing is i ordered a few seeds from tude and of course they give the freebies too so i may have a decent amount of seeds to deal with after the holidays. Regardless i prob wont be able to clone much gonna try and do a decent yield then done for a while, again wifey aint gonna be happy if she finds it. Plus my job i canʻt really burn all that much, if i do i gotta wake up 2 hours before work and start pounding water to dilute, was doing this for 2 years finally stopped burning to clean out and only burn when i got some significant time off, been a little more than a month.

I was looking at trying to grab the diamond series 200w, to add what do you think about that, $$$ is practically same as 180w but more power. saw your review on advanced website. Hey steve since i got a 4x4x6+ tent and no sense spending anymore $$ than need be how would i divide it in half, would you advise it, i figured i could prob pull off better yield with two lights and dividing it in half to concentrate light more. what do you think.

Sorry to keep asking questions but i know you and the other folks here got some good experience, sorry to keep getting off your main subject.....so how is the grow going so far, i think IMO all the hydroponic setups NFT seems to be the best, DWC is prob easiest but i think NFT is the way to go, one day iʻll jump into that, wanted to do that for my garden outside, donʻt need to pull weeds. thanks again.:thanks::nomo::focus:

Hey steve,

another question on your other grow with the 800w led. Did you use both spectrums in the bloom stage or just switch to the reds. What did you do with the 200w one in the diamond series. Was it better or would it be better to just use the veg switch in veg or use it all for veg and flower???? or do you think plants that young might trip out over that much light spectrums.

Kola, I used both switches on in the 800 grow and in this current grow. My other grow starting this week I will be going for a 3~4 week veg and will try using the veg mode on the lights to see how they work, and it will use half the power.

I would definitely recommend the Diamond Series for your 4x4 tent, these things are awesome.

The NFT I built in Grow 3.0 was so the easiest to build, operate and maintain and had the best yield to date. I have been brainstorming on how to improve that system and have some ideas that may show up after the holidays. I am also planning on building an undercurrent system as well. Too many things bouncing around in my head that need to get put into practice to see if they work.

The NFT I built in Grow 3.0 was so the easiest to build, operate and maintain and had the best yield to date. I have been brainstorming on how to improve that system and have some ideas that may show up after the holidays. I am also planning on building an undercurrent system as well. Too many things bouncing around in my head that need to get put into practice to see if they work.[/QUOTE]

What every is bouncing around in that head of yours is good s@#$! thanks for feedback, i figured price for 180w and 200w diamond was practically the same and you seem to get more out of it. The two seedlings i got just cruising under the light seem to be doing well. My other starts for my garden took well to light may sprouted, broccoli, etc. etc. Hey what about my idea to divide that 4x4 tent, what do you think about that and how would i go about doing it. probably would get better results with just two lights if i divide it?????:thanks::popcorn::popcorn:

Quick update on the plants.

pH: 5.65
PPM: 1010
Res Temp: 67
Rm Temp: 74
RH: 45

The roots are starting to poke through the coco-cups. I will give them a few more days and then will lower the level in the NFT chambers and flip them to 12/12. I'll most likely do that this Sunday evening.

Here is a shot of the new roots and an overview of the system:
DSCN02223.JPG
DSCN02233.JPG

So far I am liking the coco-tek cups, particularly if using the cloning method I just tried out. The updates will be slow until we start 12/12 and then the stretching will begin.

Man they are looking great and so does that NFT system, very nice:thumb:

Do you think i could divide my tent into two sections and just use two lights if i got the 200w diamond. thanks:nomo:

What you should do is put a 2x4 section for your plants in the middle and leave yourself space around. a 180 and a 200 will cover about 2x4

@ Maer....so just put plants in middle and lights basically right over right to max out that area space. How many plants you think i could throw in that space and get a good yield???? Or should i just dedicate two plants one for each light???? Thanks for feed back.:thanks:

@ Maer....so just put plants in middle and lights basically right over right to max out that area space. How many plants you think i could throw in that space and get a good yield???? Or should i just dedicate two plants one for each light???? Thanks for feed back.:thanks:
Depends on your grow style. One big plant that is all SCROG'd out, 36 2 liter SOG plants, 6 LST'd plants, I can't really give you a defined amount without knowing how you intend to grow. The Diamond Series will have a bigger footprint than the 180, so that is also going to skew your layout.

Why divide the tent? Do you plan on doing veg on one side and bloom on the other? Unless you can make the dividing partition 100% light-proof I would keep the entire tent in either veg or bloom, and if that's the case don't bother dividing it.

Consider going straight clone-to-12/12. You can do a perpetual harvest similar to what 420fied has been doing. Or setup up a couple of DWC totes in there with a light over each (6 plants per tote).

You can see, there is no simple answer to your question. You have to decide on what type of grow you are doing first, then on the method of canopy control (SCROG, LST, etc...). I know you are eager to get your grow started, but an extra week of planning will prevent months of misery.

Back
Top Bottom