SteveHman's Grow 7.0. Advanced LED - Multiple Strains

Hey Steve, they don't look neglected to me either. Any way to get the 2 kinds of "shorter" plants into the same tray to keep the taller ones from shading? Or are you keeping the taller ones on the two outside edges?

I am thinking that I should move the taller ones to one tray. then I can keep the lights at the right target height. Just need to find time to get that done. Right now the taller ones are on the outer edges. Based on the preliminary results. Blue Venom and BuKu look very promising as low-stretch, heavy yielding SOG plants. They both my make it into the final four. (plus they are both very resilient and take the neglect and keep on giving)

Hey Steve, they don't look neglected to me either. Any way to get the 2 kinds of "shorter" plants into the same tray to keep the taller ones from shading? Or are you keeping the taller ones on the two outside edges?

Very nice grow man, is your grow tent home made? and if so
could you tell me what reflective material you used for it?
KushWC,

It's a Secret Jardin DR 120. Very good tent for the price. I have modified it by adding some PVC supports for screens etc... plus it gives it that nice homemade feeling.

EDIT: Totally missed the question. I am focused on the tent grow and wasn't thinking of the BuKu grow. That is in a homemade chamber lined with diamond foil (white PVC on one side, diamond foil on the other). My other journals cover the construction of the test chamber and the mods made through out the last year.

Nice Clean Grow SteveH!!
That picture with the small cola with like 20 pistels stuck out of one calyx is amazing!! never seen anything like that before :goodjob:
Not sure if it's a trait of the strain of if it's a phenom of this one in particular (all identical clones). The multiple pistels has expressed itself in several of the top calyxes, not sure what to make of it. I thought it would be a good picture though since I haven't seen a "shock-top" like that before

Hey Steve, love the journal. Isn't it great how they can just go do their thing even while you're not able to be in the garden? I love it. Your strains look so tasty, I can't wait to see the harvest. It's hard, because I want to be able to try them, or at least smell them!

I have a question for you, I hope you don't mind. I'm wanting to use your pvc screen idea and was wondering if you had any better pictures of it? I'm just curious how high you went up in your tent. I've been planning on doing it for a while and have just acquired a drill to make the holes in the joints. I'm doing it first to reduce tent suction and secondly to have proper support for a screen next grow, and then if possible better overall support for my cheap tent. At first I thought it went the whole vertical length of the tent, but now I realize you're not using it to add support to your tent, just a screen.

Hey Steve, love the journal. Isn't it great how they can just go do their thing even while you're not able to be in the garden? I love it. Your strains look so tasty, I can't wait to see the harvest. It's hard, because I want to be able to try them, or at least smell them!

I have a question for you, I hope you don't mind. I'm wanting to use your pvc screen idea and was wondering if you had any better pictures of it? I'm just curious how high you went up in your tent. I've been planning on doing it for a while and have just acquired a drill to make the holes in the joints. I'm doing it first to reduce tent suction and secondly to have proper support for a screen next grow, and then if possible better overall support for my cheap tent. At first I thought it went the whole vertical length of the tent, but now I realize you're not using it to add support to your tent, just a screen.
When I have a few minutes I will get some better pics of the setup. Basically I drilled and then slid 3 90 deg elbows onto each upright support and put a "t" on each of the bottom supports. I can have up to three screens or just raise up the supports as needed.

I should be able to snap a few pics in eh morning or late tonight and get them posted.

When I have a few minutes I will get some better pics of the setup. Basically I drilled and then slid 3 90 deg elbows onto each upright support and put a "t" on each of the bottom supports. I can have up to three screens or just raise up the supports as needed.

I should be able to snap a few pics in eh morning or late tonight and get them posted.

Nice, thanks Steve. Yeah, I have a question or two about how the second and third screen would be held up that would just be much easier answered with a picture of the setup. No hurry, I'm planning on getting it bought and set up this weekend. I'm sure once I do it, my questions will get answered, but I want to be over prepared. Anything, besides having your tent apart already, that you would change about your design?

Hey SteveH-
I posted the following on one of your closed journals by accident...cant seem to find this one unless I like through the closed one:

SteveHman
Just spent several days reading various journals and yours caught my eye because we seem to have the same goal... a set it and forget it kind of system. I have 2 questions for you if you don't mind.

My state has a fairly low limit on the number of plant a person can have so therefore I will need to grow them bigger to max yield. Id like to use LEDs but I have concerns about their ability to penetrate the canopy and cover larger plants adequately...any thoughts???

Also - haven't read your last 2 or current journal yet so I apologize if you answer this question there but what happened to the DWC system you were thinking about building??? I'm currently a dirt grower who would like to switch to hydro but put off by the fact that they require almost daily maintenance. Your NFT system was good as far as maintenance goes but don't think it would grow the plants as big as I need them so I'm very interested in seeing what you would come up with that could be used with larger plants.

Learned a lot about hydro & LEDs from reading your journals and plan to read the rest asap

Since then I've read the others and your last grow answered some of my questions. I'm wondering though...would you say there is a minimum wattage requirement for good penetration with an LED??? For instance my space may only be big enough to require a 300 watt but to get the penetration I need I would have to have a 500 watt??? I'm liking the LST and maybe some topping as a way to increase yield and there seems to be a substantial difference between growing in dirt and your hempy grow...even though I wouldn't call that true hydro???

Been out of the game for a couple years so some new stuff to catch up on but then again some things never change!!!

Any and all help is greatly appreciated...

Hey there..
Just got all caught up, looks astounding thus far, keep it up!!!

I am also using the wick system but more of the old party girls style with ropes:thumb:
I love how convenient it is and I don't need to worry if one needs more than the others because they all just take what they need.

I am debating on using a screen on this grow. It seems like I have a good setup for it but I'm not sure how these strains will grow yet, I guess time will tell if I see the need to throw one in!

The way things look like they are growing for you so far, it looks as though you should have no problem hitting your mark of at least 1GPW!!!
:goodluck: and I'm in for the rest, can't wait to see the end!

Hey SteveH-
SteveHman
Just spent several days reading various journals and yours caught my eye because we seem to have the same goal... a set it and forget it kind of system. I have 2 questions for you if you don't mind.

My state has a fairly low limit on the number of plant a person can have so therefore I will need to grow them bigger to max yield. Id like to use LEDs but I have concerns about their ability to penetrate the canopy and cover larger plants adequately...any thoughts???

Also - haven't read your last 2 or current journal yet so I apologize if you answer this question there but what happened to the DWC system you were thinking about building??? I'm currently a dirt grower who would like to switch to hydro but put off by the fact that they require almost daily maintenance. Your NFT system was good as far as maintenance goes but don't think it would grow the plants as big as I need them so I'm very interested in seeing what you would come up with that could be used with larger plants.

Learned a lot about hydro & LEDs from reading your journals and plan to read the rest asap

Since then I've read the others and your last grow answered some of my questions. I'm wondering though...would you say there is a minimum wattage requirement for good penetration with an LED??? For instance my space may only be big enough to require a 300 watt but to get the penetration I need I would have to have a 500 watt??? I'm liking the LST and maybe some topping as a way to increase yield and there seems to be a substantial difference between growing in dirt and your hempy grow...even though I wouldn't call that true hydro???

Been out of the game for a couple years so some new stuff to catch up on but then again some things never change!!!

Any and all help is greatly appreciated...
I think the penetration issue with LEDs is going to become less important in the near future. There are bigger and brighter chips coming down the horizon. That being said, we aren't there quite yet. I think LEDs are best in a level canopy setup which means SOG, SCROG or LST. I also believe that these styles if managed properly will have a greater yield per foot in an indoor grow (out door in soil should always out-perform due to the massive size they can grow to).

I am still recommending a 40w per foot baseline and have been pretty successful with that number, more seems to be a matter of diminishing return.

As for a system, I think the hydro, dwc, nft are all capable of producing yields as good or better than soil if done right. Just need to dial in a system. None of my grows have required any extensive hand-holding so far and I have left them unattended for several days at a time. As long as your environmental are in balance and you have a way of keeping a re topped-up you should be very low maintenance.

My other grow in the test chamber hasn't even had a res change since day one, just topped up and added nutes. Talk about neglect--they seem to be doing alright though.

I haven't even looked in on them since last Friday and just gave them a quick check today as I feed them all. This is the epitome of hands-off hydro gardening.
Hey there..
Just got all caught up, looks astounding thus far, keep it up!!!

I am also using the wick system but more of the old party girls style with ropes:thumb:
I love how convenient it is and I don't need to worry if one needs more than the others because they all just take what they need.

I am debating on using a screen on this grow. It seems like I have a good setup for it but I'm not sure how these strains will grow yet, I guess time will tell if I see the need to throw one in!

The way things look like they are growing for you so far, it looks as though you should have no problem hitting your mark of at least 1GPW!!!
:goodluck: and I'm in for the rest, can't wait to see the end!
That is the cool part about growing, you get to learn all of the particular grow habits of the strains. Some are better suited for a screen and some aren't. The Missing for example is a good screen candidate. BuKu and Blue Venom are both shorter, stouter plants and look to be perfect SOG plants. It's all about learning a strain or two and expanding that knowledge.

I am getting my strains whittled down to my finalists and then it will be a focus on perfecting each one. Not quite there yet, but soon.

With this grow...
I believe you hit GPW!!!!

things are effortless in your pristine garden!

+REPS!!
Thanks for the kind words, I work hard at not working hard!

i wouldn't say effortless. he worked his butt off gettin' that thing set up right, but now there's less work.
Thanks Paw-Paw. It took me a while to get dialed in, I put all of the work in the front end so that I can take it a little easier now.

"Easy riding" is more descriptive... But you gotta learn to ride before it gets easy...lol.
Amen brother!

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom