Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Nice post, thank you for the information stevehman. I will continue to search for American manufacturers that make LED's. As to the, "it's China"... that doesn't always mean the American product is superior. In most cases this is true but not all. In some cases the Chinese manufacturer only list the min spec on their datasheets, some times it a case of tolerances held, other the datasheets read exactly the same.

The 11 spectrum, 6 spectrum, 5 or 15 or whatever is being claimed. Your supplier is 100% correct. In most LED's you can count a single LED as technically hitting as many as 20 spectra. I's peak wavelength may be 435 but it will have over 50% effecincy in all spectra between the 425 and 445 range.

If the new Diamond series has lens, be careful not to get them too close to the plant like you was able to do with older models... you might start getting leaf bleaching around the 8-10" range. I'm not sure what they are suggesting as a distance, but i'm guessing around the 16-20" range.

That is interesting. Especially since cannabis plants will show sex while still in the traditional vegetative cycle. Kind of sounds like that product would be guaranteed to work - just like I'd be guaranteed to get wet if I put on my magic lapel pin that guarantees I can get wet while standing in a downpour.

EDIT: I wonder if using such a light schedule would provide less vegetative growth than simply keeping "normal" lights on for 18 (or more) hours/day, lol.

From what I've read it can show signs earlier, than waiting.

Read is in Ed Rosenthal's newest book. Not sure what you mean about a product doing it? It's not a specific product, just a method.

I found a completed grow for Haight Solid State and Hydro Grow LED.
Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Edit was for typo in the name of one of the companies

I'll ask the Admins to add the Haight grow journal to the post. The other company is a former sponsor and we aren't supposed to reference them. Not to mention some very serious issues with them which I won't go into (Google is a wonderful tool though).

Thanks for the information, the more input the better guide we can create as a community.

I'll ask the Admins to add the Haight grow journal to the post. The other company is a former sponsor and we aren't supposed to reference them. Not to mention some very serious issues with them which I won't go into (Google is a wonderful tool though).

Thanks for the information, the more input the better guide we can create as a community.

Didn't know anything about the other company being a former sponsor. I just noticed that it was a 420 grow comp. I did a fast google but all I could find where post by one person all over the place giving the exact same info and pics :/. If I need to remove the references please let me know. the link is hosted on this sight.

Feel free to pm me the info that I lack. I'm a bit of a Gnostic and like to learn at any given chance.

Yes, all of our LED chips are made by USA brand companies. Although we do not release the source of some of our LEDs due to the fact that our source is just that, our source. We can say though that our company has a strict policy of using the very best USA brand LEDs and enforce this policy using a verified proof of source. With that said, the LED industry is advancing quickly and our new lights will feature the biggest and brightest 3w LEDs from around the world including the USA.

This doesn't say made in USA--it says USA Brand company. Read the last sentence

Their current models (Extreme Flower) have chips that are all manufactured in the US. Their newer models will have the best chips they can find. Some of the US companies are lagging behind in the 3watt single chips so they will be looking at other manufacturers to supply the best they can find (not cheapest).

I think the terms barns and "made in US" are semantic, they meant that all of the current chips are made in the USA, future chips may come from other sources based on best technology available. I hope that clarifies that?

I believe what OG13 (and correct me if I'm wrong) is referring to is the fact that a lot of the US manufactures of LED's are getting out of the colored high power LED production business and have formed partnerships with other manufacturers around the world. In doing so, they share the R&D cost and split the business (with the US company generally holding the US patent and the other company holding rights in their countries). The US company then focuses on producing the higher output white white lights LEDs and the others focus more on lower cost, mass production, and colors.

I think the terms barns and "made in US" are semantic

brands, not barns, damn auto correct!

Yes I agree on the US manufacturers partnering up with foreign companies to produce chips. That is one of the reasons Advanced has listed the non-US chips in their new lights, they couldn't get the best quality, large 3w single chips from a US company.

The new lights are now on their website.

You know, i told a spammer last time that they had no business here, at least this Alice Qu is advertising grow lights and not yard lights lol. But seriously, though, Alice, we are strong supporters of our sponsors here at 420, so please, if you're lights work nicely and you back them completely, sponsor 420, or please let us do the posting. Thanks

It's really fascinating to me sometimes how people conduct business and hardly carry any professionalism, SOPs (standard operating procedures), values, and missions, which 420magazine has.

Some people have bitched about 420mag and its rules and regulations however I really just consider it professional, measurable and what needs to be done. The rules really aren't much to ask for IMO.

The item they are selling is the standard cheap Chinese LED grow light... Google buy led grow light and you can find 50 different companies selling them for a few hundred dollars. Likewise a quick google search will reveal the following:

Wayet Lighting Co., Ltd

Think your light is worth it's cost? Simple solution, give a few out to the good growers here at 420 mag., let them do a comp grow with it. IF it beats the best on the market now, it will be reported and you WILL get a nice chunk of orders in a very short time.

Hi Steve, I found my way to your grow logs through google and signed up here to pick your brain a moment if that's alright with you. First and foremost I'd like to thank you for the time you take in your journals. As a first time grower myself this information is invaluable. But enough with the butt kissing. :bravo: On with it shall we?

Having read your LED Buyer's Guide I now have some concerns regarding my choice in LEDs and I'm wondering if you've heard of them and your stance. I've got two of the basic 63w penetrators for a 24x24 micro grow tent.

The site makes some pretty bold claims but it was all very convincing. I'd hate to think I've been hosed as I'm usually a pretty informed consumer. Thing is this is very much a dropship operation and that has me worried. I ordered the first one and everything was fine but my second order I got really poor customer service. My light didn't ship for two weeks and when I contacted customer support the lady told me she was the only one who processes orders and was unavailable. For a company claiming to be industry leaders that seems pretty rinky dink to me.

So, short version, have you heard of these guys and what do you think? Thank you for taking the time.

-McMuffinFace

There was a thread around here about that place and its owner, but I can't find it.

Hi Steve, I found my way to your grow logs through google and signed up here to pick your brain a moment if that's alright with you. First and foremost I'd like to thank you for the time you take in your journals. As a first time grower myself this information is invaluable. But enough with the butt kissing. :bravo: On with it shall we?

Having read your LED Buyer's Guide I now have some concerns regarding my choice in LEDs and I'm wondering if you've heard of them and your stance. I've got two of the basic 63w penetrators for a 24x24 micro grow tent.

The site makes some pretty bold claims but it was all very convincing. I'd hate to think I've been hosed as I'm usually a pretty informed consumer. Thing is this is very much a dropship operation and that has me worried. I ordered the first one and everything was fine but my second order I got really poor customer service. My light didn't ship for two weeks and when I contacted customer support the lady told me she was the only one who processes orders and was unavailable. For a company claiming to be industry leaders that seems pretty rinky dink to me.

So, short version, have you heard of these guys and what do you think? Thank you for taking the time.

-McMuffinFace

1st, welcome to 420. Second, I would stay clear of that company. All I can say is do a Google search on the company and owner. A simple whois search should let you know who that is. I am hesitant to send a PM until I get to know you better.

If you buy additional lights, try to stick with one of our sponsors.

There was a thread around here about that place and its owner, but I can't find it.

TS, the reason the thread is gone is because that company and its owner have been banned/left 420 for various reasons. Very shady goings-on with them.

-McMuffinFace

I will only offer this. That company and their name are not welcome at this site, and your reference to them will probably be edited out soon.

The owner is unscrupulous, at best, and his/her ethics are poor, for what ethics (s)he has. I'm sorry you spent your money there, as our sponsors here provide proven performance with their units, and are honest and communicative.

That said, I do have one 63W unit, and I grew one plant with it - I'd venture to say that you could pull a nice single plant, scrogged, with 2 of them in a 2' x 2' area.

Steve may have more to add, that was just my two cents' worth.

:bongrip: - JZ

Well shoot. That's exactly what I was hoping not to hear. They have all these "independent" research video's but giving it a second look the color choices for font's and stuff are suspiciously close to that of the actual website. I'm wondering now if all of it is a fabrication. =(

Thank you everyone for the fast responses.

Well shoot. That's exactly what I was hoping not to hear. They have all these "independent" research video's but giving it a second look the color choices for font's and stuff are suspiciously close to that of the actual website. I'm wondering now if all of it is a fabrication. =(

Thank you everyone for the fast responses.
The owner of that company is the master of self-promotion. I wish I could go into more details but I am trying to keep within the guidelines of the site. I'll PM you a few keywords to do a Google search and you can decide for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom