Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

people really need to know that BRIDGELUX DOES NOT MAKE LEDS SUITABLE FOR GROW LIGHTS the bridgelux leds that are used in all growlights are manufactured in china and only use the interior chip manufactured by bridgelux, they ARE NOT top of the line they are bought for pennies same thing with epistar, epistar only makes 3 w leds in the blue wavelength. not to say they arent good they are fine you wont really find anything better in grow lights besides CREE but even cree in terms of top companies are at the bottom performance wise, they are more practical and focus more on being cost effective. The top company id say is EVERLIGHT there leds cost almost 5 bux a piece which is why they are not used but they have a life of 100000 hours twice that of the leds currently used in grow lights.

tsmit, please stop posting on LEDs, this is now the 6th time I have had to come to a different post and correct you. Epistar does make color diodes other than blue. Bridgelux on the other hand does not. What Epidtar calls their 3 watt diode 48x48mm is actually a 2 watt didoe with a max drive current of 500mA. Everlight is nowhere near a major name in the LED industry. They cost ~$2 per chip (cheaper if you buy very large quantities). They make a cheap knockoff of Luxeon Rebels. Again, feel free to check the datasheet of the two side by side and you will see the 15-30% efficiency boost from the Rebels. Cree is the top manufacturer of white diodes and hold the last three lumen per watt records.

Hi, have been doing alot of reading and research on led vs everything and come down to the fact that i want to try this fairly new technology, ordering 2 cidly apollo 6 for a 4x2 what do you guys think of this ratio

2x730nm
5x660nm
2x625nm
1x460nm
1x410nm
2x 10k
1x2700k

what do you guys think?

10K ???what's this.
Hi, have been doing alot of reading and research on led vs everything and come down to the fact that i want to try this fairly new technology, ordering 2 cidly apollo 6 for a 4x2 what do you guys think of this ratio

2x730nm
5x660nm
2x625nm
1x460nm
1x410nm
2x 10k
1x2700k

what do you guys think?

Technically there is no such thing as a 10,000K spectrum for any bulb type. If you're interested in how those numbers are figured out read the wiki on black body radiator testing. The standard stops at roughly 8,000K. Without the datasheet for their cool white and warm white diodes it's really hard to give good advice. Chances are that you want to go with more warm whites than cool. If they are claiming 10,000K then there is a very good chance that the phosphor coating is not adequate to give a decent spectral distribution.

great info guys

does any one have an idea about TOPLEDGROWLIGHTS and the mars 2 - 1200 watt standard spectrum or used it or have any info on their products.
they are also a sponsor on this site

Cheers

OK I know this thread is ancient but I'm hoping someone checks it still i have a question and iv been finding it hard to find any real information that's not old . right now I'm doing some preliminary on a small grow room in Dec. At the soonist (legalization might be on the ballet this November and I'm waiting to be legal ) I have never grown indoors I haven't grown anything in over 6 years when my first daughter was born and back then I grew outside so I started looking stuff up and iv decided to go with. my setup I have already decided is going to be 3 plants in a 10 gallon container with 5 gallons of water using hydroton and rock wool 2 12" air stones 150 gph submergible pump running 2 waterlines to each planted pot (3) having a hose budded up against each rock wool cube now I've been leaning towards the hydroponics hut pg400 I want more than enough light but I don't want overkill for my 3 plants based on prior research iv decided I'm going to go 24/7 light during veg and going to switch to 12/12 for bloom when the smallest plant is 18" tall or the largest is 24" tall whichever comes first my budget is really the pg400 max but is this adequate or is their a better light for the same or less money? Do I really even need a light that big? And I'll be using a closet in my finished basement so have to use led for lack of real heat ventilation is this a solid plan to supply myself? (I consume about an oz. To 1 1/2 oz. A month depending on how work treats me) or do I seriously need to rethink my plans? Once again this will be my absolute first indoor grow so my first hydro grow and experience with any grow lights thanks in advance

you should start your own thead to get more views/ interest. You need to spell out your area size wise, width, length and height...not familiar w/ a pg400. Follow some grows using different LED manufacturers. The sponsors here are a good place to start. Lots of people using Mars, Platinum and others. For smaller grows, LED is the way to go if you can afford the up front cost. You still need to control the environment first and foremost. If you don't have a way to ventilate, don't bother starting. You can't grow in a cave. LEDs still need cooling, and so do the plants. They need fresh air (CO2) to grow. You need to maintain your space roughly 70 to 75 degrees F, and 40 to 50% humidity, both day and night. You may need heater, air conditioning, dehumidifier or humidifier (or all 4) to do that on any given day. Most people starting out spend a bunch of money on a light and skip the rest, and most are dis satisfied and/or have endless problems. Environment is key. Grow in soil for the first go round, it will save you a bunch of nute costs (including the ph monitoring and adjusting supplies). You don't need to worry about ph in soil. Keep it simple and get a grasp on growing first, then go to hydro.

Back
Top Bottom