Still smells like hay after hang dry and cure please help!

pappawheelie

Hey all this was my first grow of G.W.S. under 600 w hps in a aeroponic tote. They were flowering for 69 days. I did a three week flush changing the water 3 times with r.o. water. The last 48 hours I had left them in the dark cut them down in the dark. They were hung dry in the dark, air temp was 70 and the humidity was at 50 % for 4-8 days depending on how dry they were till the stems snapped. I had left all the leaves on even the fan leaves for about 3 days I think I should have done that asap. After the 4-8 day hang dry they went into the canning jars for two weeks in the dark burping them a lot in the beginning 3-4 times a day for about 15 mins for about 5 days then to 2 times a day for 15 mins. When I first open the jars they smell soooo sweet but then when I pull it out and smell it friggin hay. I had thought I had done everything right except for the leaves possibly. Please help if not for this time for the next batch of little babies.

Thanks Pappawheelie

Re: Still smells like hay after hang dry and cure please help!!!!

All strains smell a bit different. Have you done a smoke test? I've had some pretty good hay a few times. ;-) Seriously, I've had some that smelled just like hay and smoked great. Just a heads up the next time you grow. There is no reason to leave them in the dark for the last 2 days IMO. You can hang dry with the leaves still on them. A lot of people choose not to leave the leaves on because of mold issues. Really, it sounds like you were right on top of the harvesting process, so I don't really see a major problem.

Thanks Ms. Fox
I did a smoke test this morning and it had a nice sweet taste mixed with hay. WHAT THE HAY!!! This is gonna drive me crazy! If I raise the humidity to like 70% do you think I can hang em up again to try and get rid of some of the hay smell. I was thinking that chlorophyll was still in some the leaves giving me the bad taste. What do you think I should try different for next time?

Pappawheelie

Flushing for 3 weeks seems excessive. I would have only done it for a week. What were the colors of the trichomes when you harvested?

Yes I'm sure the 3 week flush was a bit excessive but one of the books I had read said the longer the flush the better it would taste. When I did the 3 flushes I had checked the water and it was at 0 ppm each time so I guess It didn't need to be flushed that long. The trichomes were 90% milky white 10% amber. I had just hung everything back up raised the humidity to 70% air temp at 70 with an exhaust fan on. I'm gonna leave it like this over night and I'll let you know how it turns out.

thanks
Pappawheelie

hey pappawheelie i am having the same problem you are having...what the hay and what the !!!!? did yours smell good while it was growing? mine did and so the hayish smell just really makes me unhappy and i dont want it to happen again either so can someone help us please :peace: :thanks:

Most of the people here like to wait until cloudy/amber 50/50. I like mine mostly amber. I'm in it for the couchlock... You could have probably waited longer. Don't feel bad. Just use it as a good learning experience. ;-)

Ok I had hung every thing back up with air at 70 degrees and humidity at 70%-75% for a little over 48 hours and seems to have lost alot of the hay smell along with some of the good smell but I think some of that will come back. To be honest I don't care if it takes a year to get it to where it should be as long as it kicks my ass ; ) Next time I'm gonna let it hang longer with a little higher humidity like 60% and try and get it a little cooler to say 65 degrees for how ever long it takes to get rid of the hay smell. And yes theno420 they smelled soooo good while growing. Not sure when I got the hay smell but think it was when they were hanging. I'll keep you up dated.

Pappawheelie

Pappawheelie,
It sounds to me that #1 too long of a flush and maybe even too often? Are the Seeds you started with from a reputable seed stock, like OG Kush or Barney's Farm whom I use almost exclusively always has very High quality semilias, from their many years of doing just that.

Don't give up my friend as you gain more knowledge, so grows your Gardening Skills. Hang tight! And better luck next grow.

Old Doc 2U

Ive seen someone put up a argument about flushing vs not flushing. It is very interesting. The books i have read and the advice i hear is flishing is the way togo if u r using heavy nutes. Ive always heard to start flushing 1-2 weeks awayfrom harvest but after i read the article about not flushing it got me thinking. The plant needs P n K during the bloom and it really needs them during the last 2-3 weeks so y would u not give her what she needs to have swollen buds? Also the article said flushing to much can create the hay smell. Ive never had that happen to me but im going to try not flushing and see if it is harsher. Im also using mostly organics so i shouldnt have to much issues. I am about to chop one down in a couple ofdays and i jus feed her 2 days ago with full strength. Good luck with urs

If your drying/curing nugs smells like hay........then there is still alot of wet chlorophyl left in them.
You need to expose them a bit longer to open air to disapate the chlorophyl. (but not too much as to over dry them)
Flushing and/or not flushing really has nothing to do with the hay smell..........
The hay smell will "relax" , and the sweet bud smell will come through as the drying/curing process continues.......
After the majority of the chlorophyl has disapated......your nugs will smell much better:thumb:
90% of the final bud quality and fine aroma comes from a proper dry and cure..........take it nice and slow and dont rush it!

DirtyDanny & Blazinazn,
I tend to agree with the both of you, after 40+ years of growing Da' Kine, I can definitely attest to in the Old days we used to flush some with fresh Mtn. stream H20, usually early in the AM. But then two 3 days later harvest, Hang and dry then cure, but we always did our trimming all of the fan leaves, Guard leaves, shade leaves, whatever you younger guys call them they should come off; as it is so much better without too much handling. We then put the cut Donkey's bizz sized buds in wax-paper tapped and wrapped them , then wait about 8-10 days, and unwrap them; seperate the short buds from the real long ones, as back in the day every real smoker wanted to show off their Longest colas.

One thing is the very dry climate we have here in Black Range of SW. Mtn. plus 6500 ft. altitude, oftentimes creating Sativa,tall 8 to10feet tall, with the leaf structure thinner, but the Indicas stay short like 4to 6 ft. tall and thick dark, dank and wide usually about as wide as the height. There I go again believe me I did not intend to be so verbose here, Reach 71 years young and you might just "jack your jaws" like I just did. I am now wondering if I should just not Post comments that get "Lost"! "My Bad" as my godson says.

Well good growing fellas, you are off to a great start in my Humble opinion, HOOAH!:thumb:
Old Doc 2U

Would love to hear the results at 60% humidity

Dmaui,
Here in The extreme SW. Mtns I feel that it is very, important, to be outa' sight, this is why I legally gro' Medical Cannabis, and could do it outdoors in the summer, but "Bud Bandits" are always out and about,with Binoc's and Bad intent's, to grab and bag, even if the Plants are not even near Harvest! So it is easier to keep the humidty at 58 to 62 %. Night or day...........There are a ton of growers out there who have different opinions, Indoor and or Outdoors Hydro, or Soil, it is always a matter of what one believes that works best for their specific breed/genetics, different tokes for different folks.
So for me I do it inside, under MH. and HPS HID lamps, on timers, in soil that my Wife and I make from compost, and Worm Castings. Of course we have a steady Nute menu, and additives. I like "Botanicare Pure Blend Tea" during all "vegetative stage" if needed Cal-Mag to keep the Plants greeningphase up. Flora Duo, A&B Base Nutes.

After 3 months of steady growth of Indica's I go to a 12/12 flowering cycle, keeping 2 Mother plants in the back, 1 Sativa, and 1 Indica & keep the rooms "Light tight!" On a 18/6 cycle for clone donations.Under a 1000 watt MH all the rest are under 400 watt lamps as you can get them "closer" to the canopy, than say a 600 watt, and with the right reflector one is able to get a better broadcast of your Light source.
Well once again my overly verbose statements are too far afield!

It just my tendency to go on, forgive me. You younger guys/gals probably know just what you need to get the best for your efforts. GOOD ON YA"
Old Doc2U :thumb::bravo:

Most of the people here like to wait until cloudy/amber 50/50. I like mine mostly amber. I'm in it for the couchlock... You could have probably waited longer. Don't feel bad. Just use it as a good learning experience. ;-)
I harvested mine at 5050 cloudy amber and still hay smell

I harvested mine at 5050 cloudy amber and still hay smell

I am struggling too although mine taste more like shit than hay ! All I want is stinky skunky sweet goodness and mine taste like dirty socks crossed with Cukka OG
:thanks:

If it smells like hay it's not getting enough air. Your closing it up before it reaches optimal humidity.
Dry it too fast and you lose taste
Plenty of literature out here for proper curing.

Back
Top Bottom