Stizz1e's Scrog

I have a question about how to harvest pollen, When is the plant ready for me to take the pollen? I've moved it to a different area, basically a window sill. Its been on 12/12 for just under 2 weeks. An d is the best way to get the pollen to just shake branches in a ziplock baggie?

banana kush sounds yummy, how's the smoke and affect?

If you got the plant in a different area then you can just put a brown paper lunch bag over it and shake it. Usually the pollen should start to drop 2 - 3 weeks after you see the sacks. You'll see a yellowish powder on some leaves if it dropped any pollen. Make sure you store it in airtight container in the fridge or it will mold in a few days or a week.

Can you get some close up shots of the male? Maybe we can see how far along it is and get a better idea.

the banana kush ended up being a bait and switch, its something else but still good. I happened to have a nug or 2 from an older banana kush purchase, and between that and the canabible vol 3 I determined the impostor.

my camera kinda sucks, only 4 mega pixel. But the pollen sacks are swelling the most near the top of the plant. Looks like a week maybe less and i can get some pollen. Anything else i can do with the male plant? butter or something?

Update time:
I'm on day 14 of 12/12. The Paris Kush was pulled a couple of days ago. It was browning from the top down and just didnt look too good, so I removed it from the garden.

That leaves me with one female plant and one male left.

The male, Green Morphing is about 2' tall.
picresized_1224069474_gmside.jpg

A top shot:
picresized_th_1224068762_MGM.jpg

He is growing some big balls:
00325.JPG

different node, other side of plant:
00419.JPG

Now to the female. The poison berry is doing very well. She is about 10" tall and received some LST two days ago. I'm happy with the results so far.

Poison Berry Top Shot day 14 12/12:
picresized_1224070166_005.jpg

00714.JPG

Main Cola:
00619.JPG

Lower Bud site:
00813.JPG

I figure i'll go one more week then pollinate one of the lowest bud sites on the poison berry, unless any one has any better advise for pollination?

Looking good! I agree....wait another week or so before pollinating, that way you'll have more pistils and it will be easier and produce some more seeds...also, since the seeds only need between 6 & 8 weeks to mature anyway....

the poison berry is growing amazingly quick. I can see trics forming on some of the upper pistils. and we are only at day 16 of 12/12

Nice! That's what I'm talkin bout! You go boy! I'm on day 25 and I still don't see any trichs forming. Maybe cause I don't have any magnification. I got flowers galore, but no powdered sugar if ya catch my drift. ;-)

lets just hope that dude isnt in there with that beautifull lookin lady tryin to get her knocked up like the rest of men in america when a girl wonders by. lookin awesome bro and unless u want to breed something ide be gettin rid of that dude before he decides to rape some of your ladies and screw em all up.

so since I received no input, I guess i'll just shake the male out into a paper bag and then get a paint brush, and apply pollen to some lower pistils that way, I really hope the whole plant doesnt go to seed. Some one step in and tell me if i'm wrong before i go about this in the morning.

Hiya Stizzle.Out of my area here but I did find this info.Hope it helps ya!:smokin:

BREEDING
It is possible to breed and select cuttings from marijuana plants that grow, flower, and mature faster. Some marijuana plants will naturally be better than others in this regard, and it is easy to select not only the most potent marijuana plants to clone or breed, but the fastest growing/flowering plants as well. Find your fastest growth plant, and breed it with your "best high" male for fast flowering, potent strains. Clone your fastest, best high plant for the quickest monocrop garden possible. Over time, it will save you a lot of waiting around for your plants to mature.
When a male is starting to flower (2-4 weeks before the females) it should be removed from the females so it does not pollinate them. It is taken to a separate area. Any place that gets just a few hours of light per day will be adequate, including close to a window in a separate room in the house. Put newspaper or glass under it to catch the pollen as the flowers drop it.
Keep a male alive indefinitely by bending it's top severely and putting it in mild shock that delays it's maturity. Or take the tops as they mature and put the branches in water, over a piece of plate glass. Shake the branches every morning to release pollen onto the glass and then scrap it with a razor blade to collect it. A male pruned in this fashion stays alive indefinately and will continue to produce flowers if it gets suitable dark periods. This is much better than putting pollen in the freezer! Fresh pollen is always best.
Save pollen in an air tight bag in the freezer. It will be good for about a month. It may be several more weeks before the females are ready to pollinate. Put a paper towel in the bag with it to act as a desecant.
A plant is ready to pollinate 2 weeks after the clusters of female flowers first appear. If you pollinate too early, it may not work. Wait until the female flowers are well established, but still all while hairs are showing.
Turn off all fans. Use a paper bag to pollinate a branch of a female plant. Use different pollen from two males on separate branches. Wrap the bag around the branch and seal it at the opening to the branch. Shake the branch vigorously. Wet the paper bag after a few minutes with a sprayer and then carefully remove it. Large plastic zip-lock bags also. Slip the bag over the male branch and shake the pollen loose. Carefully remove the bad and zip it up. It should be very dusty with pollen. To pollinate, place it over a single branch of the female, zipping it up sideways around the stem so no pollen leaks out. Shake the bag and the stem at the same time. Allow to settle for an hour or two and shake it again. Remove it a few hours later. Your branch is now well pollinated and should show signs of visible seed production in 2 weeks, with ripe seeds splitting the calyxes by 3-6 weeks. One pollinated branch can create hundreds of seeds, so it should not be necessary to pollinate more than one or two branches in many cases.
When crossing two different varieties, a third variety of plant will be created. If you know what characteristics your looking for in a new strain, you will need several marijuana plants to choose from in order to have the best chance of finding all the qualities desired. Sometimes, if the two plants bred had dominant genes for certain characteristics, it will be impossible to get the plant you want from one single cross. In this case, it is necessary to interbreed two plants from the same batch of resultant seeds from the initial cross. In this fashion, recesive genes will become available, and the plant character you desire may only be possible in this manner.
Usually, it is desirable only to cross two strains that are very different. In this manner, one usually arrives at what is refered to as "hybrid vigor". In other words, often the best strains are created by taking two very different strains and mating them. Less robust marijuana plants may be the result of interbreeding, since it opens up recesive gene traits that may lead to reduced potency.
Hybrid offspring will all be very different from each other. Each plant grown from the same batch of seeds collected from the same plant, will be different. It is then necessary to try each marijuana plant separately and decide it's individual merits for yourself. If you find one that seems to be head and shoulders above the rest in terms of early flowering, high yield and get buzz, that's the plant to clone and continue breeding.
In depth genetics is beyond the scope of this work. See Marijuana Botany; Smith, for more detailed info in this area.

so since I received no input, I guess i'll just shake the male out into a paper bag and then get a paint brush, and apply pollen to some lower pistils that way, I really hope the whole plant doesnt go to seed. Some one step in and tell me if i'm wrong before i go about this in the morning.

Yep, sounds bout right. The whole plant won't go to seed. It'll just be the pistols ya pollinate. ;-) Just keep it neat.

Back
Top Bottom