Storing Bud?

HigherTheHigh

I'm wondering what people are using to store there bud, I have been jarring it in mason jars since day 1 but storing jars is quite bulky when you have a 100+ already sitting curing.

I plan to have another few harvests roughly 20-60oz but I would like something a little larger to store my bud in, I only have 1 strain so I wouldn't need to separate it.

I have been looking at those CVaults and wondered if there was anything else similar?

Thanks .

I mostly use one gallon screwtop jars, along with a lot of smaller 1/2 gallon ones and various mason jars. The one gallon ‘cookie jar’ type might have had pickles in them previously (?). I don’t know. I pick them up at thrift stores and whatnot whenever I see them laying around. You can buy them online, obviously.

I need something I know won't harm it or give it a taste, I couldn't use trash bags due to concealing smell plus I would of thought it would of tainted the bid would it not?

Mason jars have been okay but apparently stainless steel is a better place to store it apparently .

Yes garbage bags aren’t food grade. I don’t use them for much other than garbage.
Glass will store bud as well as steel. As long as the lid seals well.

stainless steel is a better place to store it apparently

How so?

I’m not a fan of plastic myself, but it’s true that the plastic jars are light, and they don’t break when you drop them. Smashing a gallon jar full of bud then trying to pick the pieces of glass out was a losing battle. On the other hand I’ve only ever smashed one in many years of handling, and hopefully learned my lesson.
Food grade or not- plastic is made from poisonous materials, breaks down, smells bad, eventually weakens and crumbles and then goes in the garbage or elsewhere to pollute more.

You could use those turkey cooking bags-food grade,no smell or taste,and,if sealed tightly
they work as well as jars-easier to store,and they don't break if you drop em :)
Do a search on here for "turkey bags" to read more about it...

I’ve also seen square gallon and 1/2 gallon jars occasionally. Fit on the shelves nicely. Just make sure they have good lids. The ones with the heavy rubber ring seals seem to fail over time.

I’ve also seen square gallon and 1/2 gallon jars occasionally. Fit on the shelves nicely. Just make sure they have good lids. The ones with the heavy rubber ring seals seem to fail over time.
I remember those heavy rubber rings from the good ol' days when I was a wee little kid back in the 1950s. They went along with those zinc (at least I think they were zinc) lids with the porcelain lining under the lid.

It is summertime in the US so many stores have lids and rings on sale now and up till late fall. In late fall sometimes the price drops even more as the store tries to clear out a shelf or two to get ready for Christmas gadgets.

I remember those heavy rubber rings from the good ol' days when I was a wee little kid back in the 1950s. They went along with those zinc (at least I think they were zinc) lids with the porcelain lining under the lid.

It is summertime in the US so many stores have lids and rings on sale now and up till late fall. In late fall sometimes the price drops even more as the store tries to clear out a shelf or two to get ready for Christmas gadgets.

I was thinking about this. I know the type of canning lids you mean.

But what I was thinking about are the clamping lids, with the ring that’s sort of loose and a bit free-roaming. The clamps don’t really work that well- exert uneven pressure and tend to lose their strength along with the rings they use which are also a pain in the ass.

But what I was thinking about are the clamping lids, with the ring that’s sort of loose and a bit free-roaming. The clamps don’t really work that well- exert uneven pressure and tend to lose their strength along with the rings they use which are also a pain in the ass.
I did mention the newer style with a flat metal lid and a separate metal band.

I also figured that what you were originally talking about was what you just mentioned. The band of rubber forms the seal under a glass lid or under a lid with a porcelain liner. Like you say, the metal clamps would loose strength resulting in a poor seal. The system worked good for pickles, though, since the acids and salts in the pickling solutions did the preserving and the seal was there to reduce any exchange of air which could bring in mold spores. I have some of those jars, and maybe a few of the rubber rings, in the basement.

Just did a web search and the rubber rings are still available. It shouldn't have surprised me since I can still get new gaskets and parts for our pressure canning pots.

I figure these are the rubber rings you are thinking of. I found it along with many others doing the search. ....

Summer has arrived to southeast Michigan. Culinary and socializing herbs are loving it.

About 3 weeks ago I took a look at the shelves in the root cellar and pull out a sampling of the different glass jars, both canning or jelly jars and jars from stuff bought at the supermarket. It looks like I did it right and the small thumbnails will expand into a larger picture for anyone interested.

Photo of Jars01 shows some jelly jars which hold a couple of fluid oz to 8 oz. The 8 oz jar at the end with the Boveda and Boost packs in it is a convenient size.
jars01.jpg

Jars02 has a 4 ounce jelly jar in the center which I find to be the best for smaller amounts that I want to keep in the dresser drawer. The tall one at the end is a commercial jar that probably held pasta sauce. I have noticed that the lids like on that 3rd jar do not seal as well as canning jar lids. Even used canning lids do a better job than used non-canning jar lids.
jars02.jpg

Jars03 and 04 with another style of jelly jar plus the center one is a very old (probably 15 plus years olf) Postum glass jar with lid. This type of lid will seal up better than the other style of jar lid but nothing yet beats the modern canning jar lid and ring system.
jars03.jpgjars04.jpg

Jars05 and 06 with one of my prize finds from cleaning out the food pantry at the mother-in-law's house. Really impressive when that large jar is packed with buds just starting on their aging and curing.
jars05.jpgjars06.jpg

In the US this is the best time of year to look for canning jars. Home gardens are going strong and vegetables are showing up in farmer's markets and farmer's stands at some of the best prices of the season. Many supermarkets will have jars. Larger supermarkets and big box supermarket/department stores naturally will have a huge selection. I checked the other day and one chain of markets had 6 different styles & sizes of jelly jars plus the usual pint, quart and half-gallon jars.

The rings will last years and years. The lids will also last a long time and I have gotten a good seal from them even after using the lid one time for canning. Properly cleaned and that flat lid will probably last another 3-5 years. The lids and rings can be bought together or just boxes of a dozen lids. Just be sure to buy the size to match the jars, regular or wide-mouth. If I have to buy new jars I get them by the dozen and they come with a new lid and ring to get the ball rolling.

One new style of canning jar I have been looking at but have not bought is something the manufacturer (Ball Canning) says will stop 99% of UV from getting through the glass which helps to stabilize the jelly or canned food inside. They do cost a bit more but use the same rings and lids from what I can see.

We broke our heat spell for a couple of days but next week the 90s and humidity to match will be back. Tropical Storm Barry should be in this corner of Michigan by Wednesday. Have a great day.

Mason jars have been okay but apparently stainless steel is a better place to store it apparently .
As @Nunyabiz mentioned, blocking out light is key...and why CV has one up on mason jars..unless you store them in a dark place. I use mason jars because they are cheap and effective. I store them in my root cellar which is dark and 40-65F year round.

Back
Top Bottom