Strange Auto behavior?

jokerlola

I planted 3 Auto's seeds in Solo cups on April 28th and they sprouted on May 1st, so they are all 68 days old. They are 3 different strains: 00 Kush and Chocolate Skunk from 00 Seedbank and Sol-Mate from Humboldt Seed Co. I transplanted them to 5 gallon fabric Smart Pots and they've been growing 100% outside in Sohum Living soil since June 1st. They are a bit stunted I think but now seem to be growing OK. I did top them all at the 5th node once. 2 of them, (Chocolate Skunk and Sol-Mate) are in flower but the 3rd (00 Kush) has not started to flower yet at all. Is that unusual?

On the seed packages it gives the times as follows: Chocolate Skunk: 65-70 days, Sol-Mate: 55 days, 00 Kush: 55 to 60 days.

Some folks may disagree with me, but many friends and experts have told me through the years to plant an auto in the pot you want to finish with; So, transplanting would have slowed down the process while the plants were recovering from transplant shock. Then; You topped them. I never top autos as this also causes stress and stress and shock slows down everything.

The last autos I grew took 110 days to finish, because I did not harvest until I got the amber % of trichomes I was looking for. Hope this helps a bit. Don't worry. If they are healthy go with it. what light cycle are you using? I ask, because although some folks claim it does not matter; My personal opinion is photo period manipulation can still be used with autos and sometimes shortening the light period can help finish faster. Happy growing :)

It is unusual. Autos don't usually go longer than 35 days to start flowering. Often around the 3 week mark. Sometimes people get not auto autos. Lol
That might be the case because the 00Kush plants looks like it’s still in the middle of veg.

The first 2 pictures are the Autos that are clearly in flower and the last 2 is the 00 Kush Auto that is obviously not flowering:

78EE2050-2983-42C9-88AD-4A22D62EDB1D.jpeg

D4E010A7-CD98-4959-93FF-C5141D525F79.jpeg

AB9FC44F-87BE-4AC8-A02D-87C481D452C0.jpeg

BA6AA850-1BA5-400B-B0D5-7C99C6EB1959.jpeg

Some folks may disagree with me, but many friends and experts have told me through the years to plant an auto in the pot you want to finish with; So, transplanting would have slowed down the process while the plants were recovering from transplant shock. Then; You topped them. I never top autos as this also causes stress and stress and shock slows down everything.

The last autos I grew took 110 days to finish, because I did not harvest until I got the amber % of trichomes I was looking for. Hope this helps a bit. Don't worry. If they are healthy go with it. what light cycle are you using? I ask, because although some folks claim it does not matter; My personal opinion is photo period manipulation can still be used with autos and sometimes shortening the light period can help finish faster. Happy growing :)
I of course have heard this. I did a lot of reading and watching videos and there are many who start their autos in Solo cups and many who top their autos once with no ill effects and think they get increased yields with topping once. I'm growing outside but started inside in Solos. I put them into their final pots just when they were established but well before they had become rootbound and did it in a way that they shouldn't have noticed a difference (filled the soil around an empty Solo cup then carefully dropped the seedling with intact soil into the hole). I now wish I hadn't topped them but there are plenty of Auto growers who always top once.

I planted 3 Auto's seeds in Solo cups on April 28th and they sprouted on May 1st, so they are all 68 days old. They are 3 different strains: 00 Kush and Chocolate Skunk from 00 Seedbank and Sol-Mate from Humboldt Seed Co. I transplanted them to 5 gallon fabric Smart Pots and they've been growing 100% outside in Sohum Living soil since June 1st. They are a bit stunted I think but now seem to be growing OK. I did top them all at the 5th node once. 2 of them, (Chocolate Skunk and Sol-Mate) are in flower but the 3rd (00 Kush) has not started to flower yet at all. Is that unusual?

On the seed packages it gives the times as follows: Chocolate Skunk: 65-70 days, Sol-Mate: 55 days, 00 Kush: 55 to 60 days.
The “days” on the package is probably how many days once it’s in flower. In my experience the “days” is a very optimistic swag (scientific wild ass guess).

Bottom two photos are showing a ground up yellowing and look to be trying canabalize themselves. So they more than likely need a little macro nutrients, or most likely.. Nitrogen. Or possibly both. They also may be experiencing a lockout. Lockout is usually caused by PH issues, whether it be the water you're giving them or the soil PH. Unless your using RO water, you need the PH to be between 6.1- 6.5, 6.5 being ideal. Lockout can also be caused by over feeding as well. If that's the case.. Flush.

Also, Autos are not all cut from the same cloth and flower timing, and length can vary greatly from strain to strain. And from breeder to breeder.

:goodluck:

I of course have heard this. I did a lot of reading and watching videos and there are many who start their autos in Solo cups and many who top their autos once with no ill effects and think they get increased yields with topping once. I'm growing outside but started inside in Solos. I put them into their final pots just when they were established but well before they had become rootbound and did it in a way that they shouldn't have noticed a difference (filled the soil around an empty Solo cup then carefully dropped the seedling with intact soil into the hole). I now wish I hadn't topped them but there are plenty of Auto growers who always top once.
Cool. like I said; I was just broadening the possibilities of stunted autos. The only way you truly ever know for sure is to do it every way and judge for yourself. Look forward to seeing how they come out. I agree. You attempted to cause as little stress as possible.

Happy growing

The “days” on the package is probably how many days once it’s in flower. In my experience the “days” is a very optimistic swag (scientific wild ass guess).
Interesting point. I know from seedbanks I worked with, that for me; They never finish in 110 days or whatever timeframe is mentioned. Once again we are slaves to the trichome development, and if the trichomes are not lcoudy or cloudy/amber, or amber/cloudy, then they are not ready to harvest.

Here is another idea to ponder. Plants harvest sooner in smaller containers. It has been proven. If you have an auto, especially indoors where there is a much longer photo period used by the indoor grower, then we could assume or surmise that perhaps the vessel is too big. Something to think about.

You know, I do not think I ever saw a Cannabis plant exactly like another. I hope you do not perceive my levity to be pit of line. Peace.

Bottom two photos are showing a ground up yellowing and look to be trying canabalize themselves. So they more than likely need a little macro nutrients, or most likely.. Nitrogen. Or possibly both. They also may be experiencing a lockout. Lockout is usually caused by PH issues, whether it be the water you're giving them or the soil PH. Unless your using RO water, you need the PH to be between 6.1- 6.5, 6.5 being ideal. Lockout can also be caused by over feeding as well. If that's the case.. Flush.

Also, Autos are not all cut from the same cloth and flower timing, and length can vary greatly from strain to strain. And from breeder to breeder.

:goodluck:
I am growing in Sohum Living soil. A pre amended, water only soil and I've had really good luck with in past grows with photo period plants. My tap water is really good. It's always measures around 6.5 ph and is low EC. I've been told that Sohum can be too hot for Autos but maybe I got a bad bag this time and the nutes are too low or being locked out for some reason. I'm also growing a couple of photo periods in Sohum right now and they're growing great with water only.

I am growing in Sohum Living soil. A pre amended, water only soil and I've had really good luck with in past grows with photo period plants. My tap water is really good. It's always measures around 6.5 ph and is low EC. I've been told that Sohum can be too hot for Autos but maybe I got a bad bag this time and the nutes are too low or being locked out for some reason. I'm also growing a couple of photo periods in Sohum right now and they're growing great with water only.
After looking over the photos again, and all things considered. I'd treat them with a smidge of Potassium and see how they respond.
:thumb:

Look here my friend. After looking at your pictures again, I can see the space from the por wall to the medium and I am legally blind. It looks like you could slide a piece of cardboard in there. Earlier you decided to water them fully. That is the best idea as a first response. Your leaves look fine except for the fact that there is a touch of light green, but a plant that is drying out will droop, then start to yellow. I honestly have no skin in the game, but I would nothing yet. I would overwater them, test the runoff, and go from there. I bet they will do great if you abstain from treatment until you see results of just giving them water. One of my favorite monitors is to watch the new growth after, and see how healthy oe wanting the plant is. I believe you are fine. Peace and good night.

Look here my friend. After looking at your pictures again, I can see the space from the por wall to the medium and I am legally blind. It looks like you could slide a piece of cardboard in there. Earlier you decided to water them fully. That is the best idea as a first response. Your leaves look fine except for the fact that there is a touch of light green, but a plant that is drying out will droop, then start to yellow. I honestly have no skin in the game, but I would nothing yet. I would overwater them, test the runoff, and go from there. I bet they will do great if you abstain from treatment until you see results of just giving them water. One of my favorite monitors is to watch the new growth after, and see how healthy oe wanting the plant is. I believe you are fine. Peace and good night.
I really debated whether to grow these Autos in the Sohum soil and now I'm sorry I did. I should have just grew them in Promix or FFOF in my 3 gallon nursery pots and used bottled nutes and only used the Sohum for my photo plants. It actually seems like the plants are drying out even though the pots are pretty heavy with water. I'm not over watering but I think that maybe the soil is drying in the middle but the root ball has not grown out enough to get the moisture outwards. I thought maybe the drooping was from over watering but when I have tested watering down the middle, they perk up for 3 days then start to droop again even though the pots still feel heavy and the soil still feels moist with a finger test. It's almost like the roots haven't grown out further than where they were in the Solo cups. The Solo cups I started the Auto seeds in were not filled with Sohum since it's supposed to be too hot for seed starting and seedlings. They were filled with just a seed starting mix of peat and perlite. Is it possible that the roots have not grown out enough into the Sohum to even get to it's nutes?

I should have just grew them in Promix or FFOF
Ocean Forest is too hot for Autos. I use Happy Frog religiously, and although it contains Mycorrhizal Fungi. I sprinkle Mycorrizae directly into hole where the seed will be sown in its forever home, and never transplant. At day 20 or so, I ammend the soil with Organic top dress, and again inoculate the plant by sprinkling Myco around the base of the plant.

Is it possible that the roots have not grown out enough into the Sohum to even get to it's nutes?
It seems that it's possible Sohum may be too hot... But on the same token. I've never bought a soil that claimed to be able to provide a full life cycle of nutrients and it be true. Most soil can only provide around 30 days of good nutritition before it needs help.

:high-five:

I really debated whether to grow these Autos in the Sohum soil and now I'm sorry I did. I should have just grew them in Promix or FFOF in my 3 gallon nursery pots and used bottled nutes and only used the Sohum for my photo plants. It actually seems like the plants are drying out even though the pots are pretty heavy with water. I'm not over watering but I think that maybe the soil is drying in the middle but the root ball has not grown out enough to get the moisture outwards. I thought maybe the drooping was from over watering but when I have tested watering down the middle, they perk up for 3 days then start to droop again even though the pots still feel heavy and the soil still feels moist with a finger test. It's almost like the roots haven't grown out further than where they were in the Solo cups. The Solo cups I started the Auto seeds in were not filled with Sohum since it's supposed to be too hot for seed starting and seedlings. They were filled with just a seed starting mix of peat and perlite. Is it possible that the roots have not grown out enough into the Sohum to even get to it's nutes?
Hang in there and try not to be discouraged. I love ProMix. I have 7 or 8 bales of it on a pallet out in the yard. LOL

That might be the case because the 00Kush plants looks like it’s still in the middle of veg.

The first 2 pictures are the Autos that are clearly in flower and the last 2 is the 00 Kush Auto that is obviously not flowering:

This happened to me. The plan was to grow autos outside this summer in 2 batches of 4 plants each grow. The first 4 were 2 Magnum autos and 2 White Widow x Big Bud autos. The 2 White Widow x Big Bud have yet to flower despite 80 days old so definitely not an autoflower. It's unfortunate since:

A) White Widow is prone to mold so I wasn't planning on growing that strain outside since fall can be wet.

And,

B) It means the 4 Moby Dick autoflowers I started can't all go outside now. Only 2 of them can in order to abide by Ontario's 4-plant limit.

But, I can't really complain since they were freebie seeds.

It is unusual. Autos don't usually go longer than 35 days to start flowering. Often around the 3 week mark. Sometimes people get not auto autos. Lol
I bought seeds from 420FastBuds Green Crack that didn’t seem to grow. I might have overheated them trying to acclimate them to hot temps. Has anyone had success with this Distributor?

I bought seeds from 420FastBuds Green Crack that didn’t seem to grow. I might have overheated them trying to acclimate them to hot temps. Has anyone had success with this Distributor?
I've done a couple of Pineapple Express from them and had no issues. Haven't heard any complaints about their genetics.

Thanks for your reply, yeah more than likely I overheated heated them. I still have one growing just for the knowledge. It’s still healthy looking but only 3” tall after 30 days. I’m trying a epsum salt watering and recently bought a Mars Hydro T-600 for it and Tangie Matic I just started.

Thanks for your reply, yeah more than likely I overheated heated them. I still have one growing just for the knowledge. It’s still healthy looking but only 3” tall after 30 days. I’m trying a epsum salt watering and recently bought a Mars Hydro T-600 for it and Tangie Matic I just started.
Lots of things can stunt an auto. Heat, overwatering, underwatering etc etc. Once it's stunted you can't do much about it.

Back
Top Bottom