Stratlogic's Hydro Closet ScrOG Grow

stratlogic

For those of you that are familiar with my construction threads, I have finally started a grow journal.

For those unfamiliar with my construction threads, here are the links to give you a better idea of what I am using:
Grow Box Construction
Propagator Construction
Hydro Bucket Construction

Just as the title says, I went the ScrOG route with my hydro bucket in my closet and so far things have been going pretty well. I started out using 6 100w cfl's on two power strips mounted on opposite sides of the box. 4 bulbs are the bluer spectrum and 2 redder ones to help fill the spectrum as a whole. For the first 12 days I had them on a 24hr schedule. Check it out.
DSC00391.JPG

DSC00390.JPG

I have been growing from a seed given to me by a friend who claims it was a White Widow. I am not for sure though. I germinated via the classic damp paper towel in the plastic bag trick. I put it in my closet up top where it stays dark and within 4 days I had a taproot. Then I moved it to my propagator where I only use reverse osmosis water. I have the pump timer set to ebb and flow (flood and drain) every 15 minutes.

Day 3: 1.5cm of growth.
DSC00409.JPG

Day 4: I began to see roots growing out the bottom of the root plug indicating it was time to move to the hydro bucket. In the hydro bucket, I use 2 gallons of reverse osmosis water per week. I have been using Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow A and B. For the first two weeks, I used only 1.5 tsp of A and B to two gallons of water. Here it is after 7 days. I had a problem where the leaves stuck together for some reason preventing some leaves from growing. After I realized it wasn't going to fix itself, I pulled them apart and everything was back to normal.
DSC004951.JPG

DSC00488.JPG

At this early stage of the plants growth, I raised the bucket so roughly the bottom 1/2" of the net pot is submerged in water.
DSC00479.JPG

Day 12: I switched the CFLs back to 18/6 in hopes it will induce a female. I also lowered the root bucket a little bit too. Day 12 is also the day I lost my phone and was no longer able to take pictures for the next two weeks until my new phone arrived. A lot has happened in those two weeks so I apologize for the gap. The only thing I have done to the plant in those two weeks is change out the nutrient solution once a week.
On the third week, I stepped up the nutrients to 3.5 tsp of A and B to two gallons of purified water.
Here is a pic at day 12: Tip to tip is 8cm
DSC00556.JPG

Day 17: I fired up my 400MH bulb. Even with two panes of glass insulating the light from the plant, temperatures still were still too high, reaching upwards of the low 90's.

Day 23: My ballast quit working so I switched back to the CFLs I started with. I have been documenting the plants growth from the start as well as have been keeping a log of anything and everything I have done. Keeping this log has come in handy. I have learned that I have had the same, if not more growth using the CFLs as opposed to the 400w MH, at a fraction of the temperature too. After learning this, I will only use CFLs for vegging from now on because they are cooler, cheaper, and more energy efficient than the 400w MH. And no ballast! Works for me!

I also stepped up the nutrients quite aggressively too at roughly 1500ppm. 8tsp of both A and B to two gallons of water. This seemed to be just enough because I saw signs of slight nutrient burn on the older fan leaves towards the bottom while all new growth showed no signs of burning. The growth took off as a result.

Day 28: Growing strong!
08-28-07_0732.jpg

08-28-07_1850.jpg

Day 30: 34.5cm Tall
08-30-07_1455.jpg

Day 31: Healthy white roots overflowing! I am in the process here of changing to a Bloom formula and switching cycles. I used 6tsp of Advanced Nutrients Sensi Bloom A and B to two gallons of water.
08-31-07_1553.jpg

Day 32 and 33: The difference in one day is amazing! Check it out!
09-01-07_1425.jpg

09-02-07_1747.jpg

Day 34: Filling up the screen nicely.
09-03-07_1433.jpg

Here is a nice reference to day 30. Only 4 days later the growth is solid.
09-03-07_1444.jpg

Thats all I have so far. I still don't know the sex but if there is a god...please!

If this journal keeps on going, this should be quite interesting. Not too many people scrog a plant from seed. I hope you do get a female too. Thats alot of time to put in to find out its a male and start over again.
Grow well and harvest better(LOL, a new saying for me)

Good job man :smokin: very impressed

:peace:

Well...there is no god afternall. It's a MALE. I just want to kick it in its little balls now that it has them. Sorry guys. Anyone know of some better ways to induce a female? If I had more room I would just grow more plants. I'm heartbroken. I'm going to look for some seeds and do it again.

Danm that sucks man,Good luck with your next grow, you should buy some nirvana seeds their pretty cheap and reliable.

Good news! I am going to do the same grow over and will continue it on this thread. I just placed the seed in the wet paper towel and put it in a ziplock today. I'll be posting as things start happening.

Great dude! Hope you score a female this time around..... You outta try and squeeze another plant in there to double your chances of scorin. What I mean is pot them in 2 pots just small enough to fit in your grow space until you see the sex and just upsize the best female into your large pot, won't hurt. Good luck.

Nice work man...sorry it was a male but the set-up looks awesome. I agree with bs420, try to start with 2 seeds to increase you chances of getting a female, then just take the bigger one of the two if they are both female.

Another thing, keep the light cycle constant during veg. I go with 18/6 the whole time, but whether you have 24/0 or 18/6 dont change it till flowering.

Stratlogic's Hydro Closet ScrOG Grow (revisited)

Here it is, the next time around. Nothing is different from the last grow, except the seed. I found it in my room and don't know anything about the strain.

Day 1 - the seed has been successfully germinated and placed in the root plug today and placed in the propagator with plain filtered water.
09-09-07_1455.jpg

Day 16 - 5cm tall.
09-24-07_1511.jpg

09-24-07_1513.jpg

Day 19 - 6cm tall.
09-27-07_1619.jpg

09-27-07_1620.jpg

Day 21 - 8.5cm tall
09-29-07_1532.jpg

09-29-07_1533.jpg

Day 22 - 11cm tall
09-30-07_2107.jpg

09-30-07_2108.jpg

Day 26 -
10-04-07_0040.jpg

Stratlogic's Hydro Closet ScrOG Grow (revisited)

Day 26
10-04-07_0042.jpg

Day 30
10-08-07_2241.jpg

Day 31 Switched cycles today!

Day 32
10-10-07_1346.jpg

Day 35
10-13-07_1140.jpg

Day 39
10-17-07_1426.jpg

ITS A GIRL! Here's some day 59 pics. Started flowering at 31 days. She started sucking up water like a champ and I got a little crazy with the nutes and burned her a bit. I didn't top her either so the grow turned into a ScrOG/LST. Other than that, it's going good and I can't wait till harvest. I've estimated curing will end just in time for Christmas. Enjoy the ton of pics!

tn_Picture_028.jpg

tn_Picture_001.jpg

tn_Picture_008.jpg

tn_Picture_022.jpg

tn_Picture_011.jpg

tn_Picture_013.jpg

tn_Picture_016.jpg

tn_Picture_029.jpg

tn_Picture_030.jpg

tn_Picture_032.jpg

Does this strain look familiar to anyone? Maybe someone can help me identify it because I have no idea what it is but am definitely curious.

Strat' - you can't tell the strain from a picture.

I'm a little confused, since yesterday you said you didn't know if it was male of female, but the pictures posted today show a female plant that's obviously been blooming for some time. :hmmmm: If you got that kind of bud growth overnight, I'd say the strain could be called WonderWoman, or BionicBioGyrl, or something. :partyboy:

Beautiful lady, nonetheless!! :peace:

Strat' - you can't tell the strain from a picture.

I'm a little confused, since yesterday you said you didn't know if it was male of female, but the pictures posted today show a female plant that's obviously been blooming for some time. :hmmmm: If you got that kind of bud growth overnight, I'd say the strain could be called WonderWoman, or BionicBioGyrl, or something. :partyboy:

Beautiful lady, nonetheless!! :peace:

I was kind of confused as to that as well. That plant has definately been female for a couple weeks.

Well...there is no god afternall. It's a MALE. I just want to kick it in its little balls now that it has them. Sorry guys. Anyone know of some better ways to induce a female? If I had more room I would just grow more plants. I'm heartbroken. I'm going to look for some seeds and do it again.

Grow 3 seeds and you have an 87.5% chance of getting at least 1 female. Grow 4 from seed and you got a 93.75% chance of getting at least 1 female. Once the plants are about 18 -24" high, take 4 - 6 clones from each. These three will be your mothers. Grow the clones for 2 weeks, then flower one form each plant's clones. If any are male, destroy the mother and the clones from that batch. If any show as female, you can destroy the flowered clone since it's too small and you'll have identified your female mothers and you'll have a head start on 3 - 5 clones from each. Kepe the mothers in constant veg and when your clones get big enough, you can flower them while you make more clones. =)

Back
Top Bottom