Strawberry Cough? Yes Please! LOS Grown

Why is being rootbound so stressful to plants in potted soil versus hydro? I literally only get transplant shock symptoms that last hours, not days. Is there nothing that can be done to mitigate it shy of not becoming rootbound in the first place? In potted rockwool at least, it's good to let the roots hist the pot and circle the bottom a few times as that encourages roots to better populate the media that it previously didn't to get remaining bits of water and nutrient. I'll be getting into soil in a couple of months and this and knowing I will most definitely finally experience bugs I feel will be my biggest growing pain, almost to say that "I" will be getting some transplant shock, lol.
Don't judge by this particular plant Sky. Long story, I dropped her mom when a tiny seedling maybe 3 days old or 4. Roots torn and completely out of any soil. She struggled and lived but something changed and turned into a polyploid with issues. The same trait you see in the pics is how mom was. So far whatever I do to her she revolts with turning her leaves like this.
Now Emilya has an idea I'd like to try that might put her in a better mood with added P.

No what trace elements or calcium what it's purpose is .
Yes one form of calcium. Here's what the Down to Earth folk say: Oyster Shell is a high quality soil conditioner which consists of 96% calcium carbonate and many micro-nutrients. GroundOyster Shell provides a long-lasting, steady release of nutrients to help regulate pH levels, promote healthy cellular structure, increases fertilizer uptake, and enhance soil tilth.
So slow, steady release, long lasting. And the PH regulation. Must be one reason why I don't have to ph with this soil. Good question! I need to learn this too.

I had not considered that she might be severely rootbound, and this certainly could be the cause of the P deficiency, so I would not go too crazy adding more P until you have seen what the transplant will do. Adding a little bit of the very humorous high P guano or bone meal isn't going to hurt anything either but I was pondering why in the world you would have such a deficiency. Go easy till we get you back on an even keel, and after the cleanup you can see that it isn't really as bad as it first looked.

Yes one form of calcium. Here's what the Down to Earth folk say: Oyster Shell is a high quality soil conditioner which consists of 96% calcium carbonate and many micro-nutrients. GroundOyster Shell provides a long-lasting, steady release of nutrients to help regulate pH levels, promote healthy cellular structure, increases fertilizer uptake, and enhance soil tilth.
So slow, steady release, long lasting. And the PH regulation. Must be one reason why I don't have to ph with this soil. Good question! I need to learn this too.

Yup that is exactly what I am talking about lol I added some oyster shells in dust form to my 10 gal pots .

Guess I should see what else is in there lol

Here is what I am.going to read up more about, new job interview for closer excavating company tonight . Wish me.good luck . 10 mins from home too.

Good luck Joe! And I hope nothing embarrassing shows up on your wife's wish list in those screen shots :).
Me too bro me to lol.

Yup that is exactly what I am talking about lol I added some oyster shells in dust form to my 10 gal pots .

Here is what I am.going to read up more about, new job interview for closer excavating company tonight . Wish me.good luck . 10 mins from home too.
Good Luck !

Careful, some additions need to be cooked for a few weeks or a month or it'll burn. I don't know about calcium. Also, the finer the shell dust, the faster it is available to the plant.

Careful, some additions need to be cooked for a few weeks or a month or it'll burn. I don't know about calcium. Also, the finer the shell dust, the faster it is available to the plant.
Yup this stuff was all a fine powder ,thanks otter.

I found this tag with dates saying how long she stayed in all the containers. It's no wonder things are amuck, she spent 2 months in the 5 gallon pot with nothing better to do than twiddle her roots. The entire plant has purple stems. Not the new growth. It's green and is starting to catch onto the new soil.
Fresh new growth

New growth is looking great, she's gonna look like a totally new plant in a week or two :yummy:

Back
Top Bottom