Strawberry Lemonade & Glookies

7 out of 8 of the plants seem happy. No issues, 1 however has been growing odd shaped leaves, curling and very dry and crispy.

I’ve attached a few photos of 2 plants, a good one and bad one. Note 7 of the plants look like the good one.

The plants are receiving just ph water as I just don’t see any need to give nutrients yet as 7 seem perfect. Plus the soil is all mix which can be a little strong for seedlings anyway.

My first thought was overwatering because that seems to be the cause of any problem I have, but it just doesn’t appear to look similar to past overwatered plants. Plus it’s receiving no more than any of the other plants and drinks the same amount daily as others. (I weigh them to decide when to water).

any ideas on what it could be would be appreciated.
515FA571-DD99-47A2-8B88-BF0794E2FBA7.jpeg
B3C0C67F-617A-4595-9D39-B0D6FB676D7E.jpeg
A58259DD-8C97-449A-91B1-6B2FAD2ED519.jpeg
15C820E1-832D-4668-8888-950950039D44.jpeg
3F877BD8-C3C5-4B41-8D7A-369BBF2827C7.jpeg

Ok looking at what you got there. The leaves are the tell tail sign going from seed your always running the risk on the genetics. You just got lucky that only 1 is reacting the way it is. I would say from how dark the leaves are there is way too much nitrogen. The soil I reckon is too hot. I would also say that all the leaves on the good one looks awfully full almost swollen so I'd say over watering is defo playing a part aswell.

Cheers guys. It’s the first time I’ve used this soil for seedlings, I used it last time when they went into the tent, they were 2-3 weeks old by this point last time.

I’ve got no further work now so I should be able to get a good wet and dry cycle again. I can’t resolve any issues with the soil being too hot, so I guess I’ll just have to wait it out and see if it’s get better as it grows.

By this time last grow I was feeding the plants with A&B, crazy how the soil can be so hot I haven’t had to use it yet. Has saved me money on nutrients though!

New update.

Sorry for lack of updates, veg stage has been just a bit boring. Plants have just been put in the tent! Woohoo!

Here I’ll be training the plants for 8 mains. No idea if this is going to take 3 weeks or 6 weeks, so here’s hoping it’ll be 3! Once 8 mains have been achieved and the plant seems ready I’ll flip to 12/12 and watch the magic happen.

I’ll do my best to get close ups of all my cuts and ties to show what I’ve done.

I’ve attached a couple of photos of the plants before repotting. I did forget to take a picture of the roots but they had wrapped round the soil and looked great, it was perfect timing to repot them from the look of the roots.

You’ll notice one plant tilted quite heavily. This is the Strawberry Lemonade, I dropped the light when adjusting it when they were very young, this one seems to have grown tilted, so I’ve planted it at an angle in hopes it’ll straighten itself out a bit.

The 3 plants next to the SL are the Glookies, the 4 plants on their own are the Dos Si Dos 33. I’ll keep them in the same places through out. Maybe I’ll even get some tags for them, who knows.

926CE4ED-2A72-4B99-B519-CC2E86A93FC9.jpeg
E6BA6372-3301-4BAD-9089-666E4642D5C2.jpeg
CB68F1A5-8678-46C5-BDB4-EA699CAB3841.jpeg
A01B20AB-9826-42B0-B9B8-2DF778A02647.jpeg
8D06C885-3BFE-489B-B1FF-195365F48BE8.jpeg

Also, forgot to mention. Plants have had 0 nutrients, seems crazy as last time they were getting tons. Nutrients will start in a week or so, around the same time I’ll do the first top if all looks good.

Also, forgot to mention. Plants have had 0 nutrients, seems crazy as last time they were getting tons. Nutrients will start in a week or so, around the same time I’ll do the first top if all looks good.

Have you noticed big change in size from nutes vs no nutes so far? Curious what your reason for no nutes up to this point

Honestly no changes at all other than a few leaves at the bottom across most plants dying, but all new growth looks good.
I did plan to give nutrients up until the time came and I changed my mind, I thought I’d see if all these products made a noticeable change.
I am using a strong soil which also allowed me to not do this. I used an all mix compared to last time I used a light mix soil, and last time I did start seeing slight deficiencies quite early on.

Size wise it’s hard to compare. These are 3 weeks and 5 days old, where as I repotted at 2 weeks last time due to the tent being ready. The tent was only ready as of yesterday so these are noticeable smaller for the age but haven’t had the space or light power the last ones had.

Conclusion is I wouldn’t use nutrients until plants have gone into tent. I would just use all mix soil to ensure they had the nutrients to survive, they may burn a little but I’m not too fussed about that.

First Topping

So today the plants had the first top. Due to some deficiencies I delayed the topping a bit which meant the plants were mostly past 6 nodes. I topped each plant to a similar height, the original plan was to do it above the 3rd node, but with some of the nodes being really close together it seemed they’d be a little too short if done at that point. Some were above the 3rd some were higher than the 3rd node.

I trimmed off everything below the 3rd node. As soon as the 2 new tops grow on each plant I’ll be trimming the 1st and 2nd branches off as soon as it’s safe to do so. Again the final tops will be above the 3rd node. This process will be repeated a 3rd time but will be at the 1st node on the 4 new tops. Giving me 8 to work with as an end result.

I hope within a week I’ll be ready for the next topping and I can start tying the plants foen

I made a mistake, so as they went into the tent I planned to start nutrients as deficiencies were starting to show. But after a few days it didn’t seem to be helping. The chart I use goes off 100 litres, I fill 10 litre buckets up meaning I should give just 10% of the recommended nutrients, I was only giving 1%. I even took the EC levels of the water and couldn’t understand why it was so low. Only realised today what I was doing wrong, so they got plenty of nutrients today

A2722B8F-15C9-4E83-9866-46A89542E7B2.jpeg
7C9204D4-A18C-421B-82A7-7CD62E9BCDF8.jpeg
4EB83F95-6A81-4DF0-8D64-BA0D8D0E878F.jpeg
5414A876-E51C-4A6B-8E97-50F98B5D8F9E.jpeg
AA70C3AD-5EAB-483B-B5E9-F2DADA4B27EF.jpeg
B154B362-495E-4AC6-9980-D028BD76B684.jpeg
38E5434C-85ED-4109-A3D9-CB4DF1388A04.jpeg

Almost all plants have reached the 4th node on the 2 mains now. I’ve topped above the 3rd node and tied plants down.

I saw a lot of people warn that when tying plants down, it’s easy to snap them. Unfortunately I snapped 1 branch. From tying 16 branches down 1 was snapped, so it’s a little disappointing but it could be worse. I did tape the branch up, but it snapped pretty clean and I don’t think it’ll recover. If it doesn’t recover I’ll just train the plant a little differently.

It was a ton harder to tie the branches down than I expected. I think I left it a little late as the branches were quite tough to move and bend. I did my best to try and keep them at even heights. If anyone used something else to tie plants down please let me know as the garden wire was fiddly and difficult to use.

D00DFC56-73EB-4F9A-BE71-CC5CDBE38E44.jpeg
F1F71799-C407-4BEB-AFF3-FACB0958D40D.jpeg
DBE7AD54-D2C9-43AE-B889-C4F400EDC142.jpeg
80A220DC-CB52-49AD-9B62-F3E709B6D5CC.jpeg
582A3004-1722-46F6-BEFD-E20AAFECFFBF.jpeg

Hi Kimber I use binder clips on my fabrics Potts then pipe cleaners to the branches. I sometime find it easier to bend them down.then few days latter tighten up the ties a bit. I also let the center growth grow in and top as needed to try and keep a even canapy.

I will try and post a pic later of my grow only a few days left.

Almost all plants have reached the 4th node on the 2 mains now. I’ve topped above the 3rd node and tied plants down.

I saw a lot of people warn that when tying plants down, it’s easy to snap them. Unfortunately I snapped 1 branch. From tying 16 branches down 1 was snapped, so it’s a little disappointing but it could be worse. I did tape the branch up, but it snapped pretty clean and I don’t think it’ll recover. If it doesn’t recover I’ll just train the plant a little differently.

It was a ton harder to tie the branches down than I expected. I think I left it a little late as the branches were quite tough to move and bend. I did my best to try and keep them at even heights. If anyone used something else to tie plants down please let me know as the garden wire was fiddly and difficult to use.

D00DFC56-73EB-4F9A-BE71-CC5CDBE38E44.jpeg
F1F71799-C407-4BEB-AFF3-FACB0958D40D.jpeg
DBE7AD54-D2C9-43AE-B889-C4F400EDC142.jpeg
80A220DC-CB52-49AD-9B62-F3E709B6D5CC.jpeg
582A3004-1722-46F6-BEFD-E20AAFECFFBF.jpeg

Deleted. Read the post before. Makes sense. Im topping for the first time too and its slowed down 2 of my plants alot. My green crack has been only 1 that recovered quickly. They all looking on their way though!

Hi Kimber I use binder clips on my fabrics Potts then pipe cleaners to the branches. I sometime find it easier to bend them down.then few days latter tighten up the ties a bit. I also let the center growth grow in and top as needed to try and keep a even canapy.

I will try and post a pic later of my grow only a few days left.

Yeah think I might get some pipe cleaner and some binders for the future then, was just a pain to do it with the plant ties. I did like the idea of a tent hook or similar, so I could just easily stick it in the soil rather than attach it to the fabric, I just thought the plant would pull it out.

Yeah think I’m going to do a lot of readjusting over the next few days as I’m not happy with some of them, was thinking maybe it would be easier once they’ve been in that position for 24/48 hours.

Deleted. Read the post before. Makes sense. Im topping for the first time too and its slowed down 2 of my plants alot. My green crack has been only 1 that recovered quickly. They all looking on their way though!

At what point did you top? My plants all seemed to recover fairly fast in regards to drinking the same amount almost immediately and grow seemed almost normal. I topped once all plants reached 6 nodes to ensure I had a good root structure.

I’ll come over to your journal and take a look.

Yeah mine are getting close. I got one more top once they reach the 1st node on the 8 new mains. Once that’s complete it’ll be some LST just to create the right shape and let it grow out, then flower time!

The branch I snapped has died. I thought it was too clean and it was, will put that plant a little behind but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

Ran into some overwatering and underfeeding at the start and stressed them out a little so i let them dry out and took off the ties off one and they all seem to be bouncing back now though

Back
Top Bottom