Stress & Fan Leaf Fingers Question

Drivejunky95

Hey all,

Question about fan leaves and the number of fingers they can have. I'm growing some White Widow Autos for my first time. I think I may have stressed them out a bit and stunted their growth but not really sure. The plants are on their third node but all leaves have 3 fingers so far and not really sure what causes it so I can avoid doing it again.

I thought it may be just the seed bank's choice of parent plant strain at first since people are saying OG strains are known for growing 3-fingered leaves all the way through, but I checked out some other grower's plants on the seed bank's website and most of their plants have 5 fingers on the second node so I must have done something to stress the plants.

Pics of WW auto from website at 3 weeks.

In the second pic the second node also has 3 fingers like mine does, but I think his third node has 5. In the first pic the second node has its 5.

What I think I may have done but not 100% sure is got the roots too cold. The grow tent was ~72F ambient temp but I had a fan blowing on the air pots and I noticed one day they felt quite cold to the touch, if I had to guess maybe in ~65F range. My light was also pretty far away and I noticed some stretch so maybe the lack of good light caused this too? Nutes and pH were pretty good, a little Iron deficiency during 2nd node though but went away when I did a cal/mag foliar spray.

Do you think these things or other things cause a plant to produce 3-fingered leaves? Or something else? Thanks.

1st advice , never compare yer grow to others, way too many factors involved, so big big mistake

Keep the fan off the plants directly, bounce of walls or something

Don't worry about the leaves, focus on growing a nice healthy plant

My light was also pretty far away and I noticed some stretch so maybe the lack of good light caused this too?

What kind of light are you using and how far away from the plants? Genetics or mutation of said genetics can affect number of fingers on leaves, not aware of stress having anything to do with it. Just a IMHO kind of thing but they are fairly adaptive (more so than us humans), and folks cause more stress constantly changing the variables while chasing in many cases "imaginary" problems, than would be if they just let it grow and do it's thing.

Appreciate responses -

450W LED, 202 true watts. It was at 60% W/B and 30% R @ 30". It's down to 18-20" at 100% W/B and 60% R.

If next node grows 5-fingered leaves like the plant should at this point could it suggest the lighting was insufficient?

Could cold roots explain the stunted growth since root system isn't as developed / not absorbing as many nutes as it could be?

Kicking myself a little cause they're auto and only have so much time to veg before they flower ha. Have got 4 more seeds behind these soaking cause I think the yield will be smaller from what I did to the poor plants!

Well....

Just looked and the newest leaves are showing small 5 fingers.... ha.

I read regular plants you can re-veg and they'll start growing 1 and 3 fingered leaves again. Since these are auto I guess they'll grow different numbers of fingers as they age regardless of light schedule and sufficiency...

I'm still curious if supreme growing conditions will produce 5-fingered leaves by the second node, instead of third, regardless of genetics? I think it's safe to say all these WW auto seeds are from the same strain.

That should be about right for height, varies on the light but most LED run around 18-24" in veg and 10-15" in Flower. Just move in small amounts as you can tell if it doesn't like it as causes you less headaches that way. IMHO that not cold enough to cause any issues, my shed runs colder than that but my girls out there are in Flower too.

Back
Top Bottom