Stretching and Wind

bankcee

420 Member
From the title I'm sure most of you already know what happened. So 3 days ago my seeds sprouted. and I noticed they started really stretching but the stems were still thin. barely had the cotelydons and the serrated leaves growing. barely.. so a few people told me to put them under a led light (cause that was what I had) and to keep it close. Anyways they also said if they're going outside to get them acclimated to the sun asap. So I did today I put them under the sun for a couple hours while I was gone. and for one the whole top layer of soil was dry. I have a moisture meter and deeper down it read "wet" but the top layer wasn't. And I'm assuming the wind knocked over one of my plants. the pot didn't fall the stem kind was just leaning (not straight up like it was before I left) how do I fix this? Is it done? and how can I stop her from stretching?

Hi bankcee and welcome!

Pictures would be helpful. In the meantime you can add more substrate up till a cm below the cotyledons that will shore her up, and then afterwards make sure your lights (if indoors) are close enough. If outdoors and you are using sunlight and have her in the right position, the genetics decide how stretchy (node distance) she will get......

In addition to bapple's suggestion, you can prop your bent lady up with a chopstick or two, or anything handy. She should mend just fine.

My seedlings stretched, too, but after they started bushing out, the space between nodes was in proportion to the juvenile size of the plants. However, I have read on this site that you can put the lights as close as you can without burning them, or, when you repot, set them lower in the soil. New roots will grow all along the buried stem.

As with any outdoor plant, you can put mulch on the soil to prevent the soil from forming a dry crust.

You probably know this: keep a fan gently blowing on the plants to toughen up the stems. This also prevents rot from too much moisture, because there will be more evaporation and better mixing of warm and cool air in your grow area.

If your container is deep enough often times you can simply moisten the soil well and simply use your finger to pust the seedling father into the soil. I just put my index finger close to the stem but to the side and gently slowly push down. the whole plant will sink and you will have made a nice little depression. Now simply pro the stem over into the new hole, squeeze the soil back around it and it's good to go. Best of luck in all you grow!

some pictures may help as well... if they weren't in direct sun plants can do what's called "light bending" where the plant will flex over and bend to face the most direct sunlight. pretty cool how aggressively the plant will bend and twist in search of more sunlight in just a matter of a couple hours. I've noticed it more so in younger plants it seems... they really are fascinating plants. good luck and keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom