Stretching? What's the Cause?

kevo3b

Im new to the growing scene and am really confused. Ive been growing these bagseed plants now for about 4 1/2 weeks now. They were doing fine the first couple of weeks then... They just stretched and stretched for like 7 inches in between the nodes, now they r huge. I topped them like 2 or 3 days ago, but still seing little results. I started giving them some miracle grow like 3 days ago (only because i couldnt tell the gender). Stretching, is it good or bad for the plant? and what could I do to help the gender show? ANYTHING would be appreciated lots

.:headbanger: Rock on!

Re: Stretching??? What's the Cause?

You need to swithc to 12/12 so they can show sex, As for the streching put the light as close as you can without burning it. What kinda light you using?

Im usin a grow light that my friend gave me I dont know which kind to get, and where to get it at. It looks like a flood light. I know its 120 w.

Streching can be caused from heat, and lack of light. If your lights are too far up the plant will strech to reach the light. Keep the light close to the top of the plant.

Im usin a grow light that my friend gave me I dont know which kind to get, and where to get it at. It looks like a flood light. I know its 120 w.

I would go get yourself a couple of CFL's. . . Home Depot carrys a brand called N. Vision. . . ( they look like spirals) Pick up a couple of 100 watt daylights. . . ( blue package) and when your ready to flower, grab a couple of the green packaged 150 watt soft whites. The bulbs are nor expensive. Keep those lights real close to the tops of your plants. .. just dn't let them touch. Why did you top your plants? Was this for height? Try and avoid cutting your babies unless you have to. . . if you intended for smaller, multiple colas, I could understand. Otherwise, I wouldn't. What size space are you using? And take care in using nutes at 4 weeks old. . . could be a little young still and you might burn them a little. . . Good luck man. . . :peace:

yea I did have the light about 19 inches from them when they stretched. Ill definetly have to get a better light source soon.. I topped them because they were just stretching way out of control. Should I decrease the time of light a little bit? I've had them on 18/6 since they were born lol. When should I switch to 12/12?

O yea I work at lowes so its absolutly forbidden to shop at home depot... just a thought.

Stretching occurs naturally in all cannabis plants during the first few weeks of flowering. This is normal. Stretching throughout vegetative growth is a sign of lack of light, the plant stretchs to get closer to the light source for stronger light. When using CFL's, keep the light no less than 2-3 inches away from the tops of the plants at all time. The more distance from the tops to the CFL light source, the more the plants will stretch.

yea I did have the light about 19 inches from them when they stretched. Ill definetly have to get a better light source soon.. I topped them because they were just stretching way out of control. Should I decrease the time of light a little bit? I've had them on 18/6 since they were born lol. When should I switch to 12/12?

If you switch to a 12/12 light/dark schedule you will induce flowering in the plants. You can do this after 4-5 weeks of vegetative growth, or when the plant has reached 6 nodes.

Topping the plant will cause it to grow two tops instead of one, this will in turn create a need for MORE light not less. You are creating more growth, therefore you must supply enough light to support the new growth you are encouraging.

Ok ok I see now. Really u only need to top if you want more growth right? and yea this is my first grow so im learning alot from everyone. Thnks alot!!

Ok ok I see now. Really u only need to top if you want more growth right?
Not really. Every one you cut turns into two (or more if you use the FIM technique). But that doesn't always turn into "more". Some plants dont' respond well to topping. You'll just have to experiment.

Back
Top Bottom