Stuck seed casing question

Thunderbrain

Howdy, all...

I just had an old (12 years) seed pop this morning, and the casing is still stuck all the way around. I guess I should have roughed it up a little first, but I didn't. It's a little hard to tell at this stage, but it looks like the casing hasn't split yet and the root may have found a small hole to grow through. I've separated casings from seedlings before, but only had success when they were obviously split, unlike this one. This is a strain I'd really love to save.

I've sprayed it and left it under the humidity dome to keep it moist and help soften the casing. If it splits, it will be easier, but if it doesn't, how long would you experts leave it before you try emergency surgery? I'd like to give it a chance on it's own, but I don't want to leave it to die without even trying.
:lot-o-toke:

I'd have done what you did. If and when that might not work, break out the sterile tweezers and dental pick and do your due surgery Doctor. You'll win and the patient will pay you.

Hi Thunderbrain,

Since your still a pretty new member, I'd like to welcome you to 420 Magazine and community of folks that gathers here.

To answer your question, I probably wouldn't let the casing go more than 36 hours or so before intervening. I'm certainly not an expert, but would be trying to judge the seedlings viability/survivability and the seed casings movement toward opening further as a deciding factor rather than a specified time period. Probably not unlike what your already doing. Trust your instincts brother.

Thanks for the replies!

I just checked again and it looks like it's finally starting to split after all. I'll leave it in the dome overnight, and if it continues to open, try to remove it tomorrow.

:thanks:

once removing a stuck seed it was like super glue, took the top off with it just leaving the white stem. Amazingly it still grew new leaves! :D

It had opened a little more this morning, but not much. I went after it anyway using a dental pick and a needle, and now it's off. It looks like it'll make it, but it's a little early to tell.

Be funny if it turns out to be male. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom